Motor mounts from Rock Auto - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Motor mounts from Rock Auto

WARNING - I ordered 2 motor mounts for my 97 Bird with 4.6. OEM style hydraulic mounts made by Anchor were purchased. One was leaking as it was received. Rock shipped another but would not front for overnight shipping and then sent the replacement by snail mail instead of FedEx.

Now waiting for USPS to show up. FYI - these were not close out models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Something unrelated I observed is that the DEA mounts have too much of the bolt stud sticking out underneath. About 1/4"-3/8" needs to be filed down/cut off in order to clear the K-member, otherwise you can't bolt them in. They are a tad (1/2" maybe) taller than the stock mounts as well.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranco View Post
WARNING - I ordered 2 motor mounts for my 97 Bird with 4.6. OEM style hydraulic mounts made by Anchor were purchased. One was leaking as it was received. Rock shipped another but would not front for overnight shipping and then sent the replacement by snail mail instead of FedEx.

Now waiting for USPS to show up. FYI - these were not close out models.
Yup not suprising, I had mine replaced by RobertP (Anchor Brand), it broke overnight and was junk by the next day. Got Rob to install a Solid mount and no problems since.

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Note: From personal experience, on a 96 4.6l; If the driver's side motor mount breaks, and the engine moves up against the hood padding, the throttle will go to WFO, and won't come loose until you hit something hard enough to drop the engine back down.

You really won't like that.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well, after some significant sweating and swearing, the mounts are in. The right side was a problem until I compared the old mounts with the new ones. The original (presumed to be factory) right side mount has a shorter stud than the right side. You can see it was made that way and not cut off or ground down. Anchor and Rock Auto both show the same part number 2995 with no designation of Right or Left. Both mounts received appeared to be identical. This is noticeable in the attached pictures. Ford motor parts show the same part number but a different cost for the left versus the right side, and they sell the mount in the bracket.

FYI - for those who need to change- Shorten the stud on the right side.

BTW- I searched and searched for detailed instructions on how the perform this task but could not find one. If there is one, where? If not, I think it would be helpful for some of us.

Rock auto did get the replacement mount to me the next day so they can be credited for that quick response.

I can't seem to find a way to post a picture.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 06:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranco View Post
I can't seem to find a way to post a picture.
If you pay to be a member, you get a Gallery where you can post pix.

Otherwise, use PhotoBucket (or a competitor) and link it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Banned

man. go Poly if yr buying new mounts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94XR7Trucker View Post
man. go Poly if yr buying new mounts
You have a brand and model / part number?

Also, don't you need to grease the crap outta poly to prevent squeaking? Or does that only apply to suspension poly components?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
You have a brand and model / part number?

Also, don't you need to grease the crap outta poly to prevent squeaking? Or does that only apply to suspension poly components?
if you can swap to mustang engine mounts from say a 96 model year, then energy suspension has urethane mounts, both engine and transmission. i just dont know if the mounts interchange or not.

my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through s comic vapor of invention.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Kind of slapped together

There's always the Hockey Puck mod.

Where you use two hockey pucks and a long bolt to hold the top and bottom together ...

RwP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in