97 Won't start/crank help please - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

97 Won't start/crank help please

This morning I went out to the car and everything lit up like usual, when the key was turn to "on/start". The car wouldn't crank or even try, It has been extremely cold recently in MD and I haven't moved the car for 3 days. Also I don't believe it to be the battery as the lights were as bright as normal and I didn't seem to get the dead battery click. I only heard a very faint almost like click sound, could something be frozen, or have gone bad?

I didn't have time to investigate further this morning, but will be when I get off work. I just don't want something to thaw out and leave me stranded if it freezes or acts up again.

Any help or guidance would be great.. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Just a FYI, Couple of weeks ago I washed the 95 good , underside as well ,went for a 20 mile drive came back home parked for the night, that night it was down to 19 degrees came out the next day no crank lights and all good, Hmmm thought to myself I bet when it gets past 32 or so it will crank. And it sure did Guess I had water under there somewhere.

Also battery was good , showing 12 volts . No problems since.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 01-24-2014 at 08:11 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Could it be the IAC? I have been having a weird idle kinda stumbling then idling high every so often, while in gear...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Voice/Data Guru

I would not think the IAC would keep the car from cranking like your describing,but its no big deal to replace for your idling issues if that is the cause. NO expert here.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM
PostWhore

Probably the cold. Get your battery tested at an auto parts store. Or just jump it.

I love my V8, but I'd love it more if all 8 cylinders worked. (they do now)

My T-bird is like George Jetson's wife, you try to give her a little money, she takes the whole wallet.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Project-bird View Post
Probably the cold. Get your battery tested at an auto parts store. Or just jump it.
+1 Check the battery. If it's good, it's the starter if you can't even get it to turn over.

The solenoid on my starter used to act up in cold weather, but it hasn't given me a problem in years.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 AM
1st Gear Poster

Also, could be the connector at the solenoid/relay?, if the plastic clip is broken, you could have a bad/intermittent connection. I had that problem. You will have to jack it up and get under there to see it

1995 LX, 3.8L, deep emerald green (PA), tan interior
1996 Sport LX, 4.6L, laser red (E9), grey interior
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Well when I got home I tried to start the car normally....No go. Popped the hood checked voltage with car off battery was 12.xx volts. So I wiggled all cables to the batter to make sure they were on solid, then took a wrench and banged on the IAC valve.....The car fired right up, I am still clueless. I thought if it was the IAC the car would still crank, just not stay running....Any thoughts on this?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97t-bird View Post
Well when I got home I tried to start the car normally....No go. Popped the hood checked voltage with car off battery was 12.xx volts. So I wiggled all cables to the batter to make sure they were on solid, then took a wrench and banged on the IAC valve.....The car fired right up, I am still clueless. I thought if it was the IAC the car would still crank, just not stay running....Any thoughts on this?
If it wouldn't even crank, I guarantee you didn't get it to start by wiggling the IAC valve wires.

Battery wires - yes, IAC - no way; total coincidence is my consensus...

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The IAC lets air into the engine to bypass the throttle valve when needed; if it didn't work, your engine would start, rev up to 800 or so then die immediately due to air starvation. If the engine isn't turning it doesn't need air, so doing that had no effect on the starting. Your moving around the cables to the battery is what did it.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

So looks like I am going to start replacing battery wires, and suggestions on what or where to get them?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:44 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94mncougar
I would start at the connector to the battery... Is it cracked or in rough condition? A lot of no-start/no-crank situations are just because the terminal connection to the battery is either too corroded or cracked.

Also, you may only need to trim the wires back that connect to the terminal at the battery depending on corrosion.

Stephen

Winter mods included:
- Developing Rocker Rust
- Saggy Suspension - fixed!
- Chipped paint
- I'm sure more to come... TOTALED
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Definately not the iac. Starter power flow goes from the battery to the starter .. check battery voltage and cables. Ignition is fed from the battery, to fuse box, ignition switch, transmission range sensor, to the starter solenoid. Process of elimination to determine no crank condition.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 08:36 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, i had an issue like that for a while since somebody cut the neg connection off my car and put on one of those cheep crimp style ones from the parts store, it would get green and corroded under the clamp and if it had no start i would have to wiggle the neg and it would fire right back up...

ended up having to finally go get something like this:

pushed the wires inside those rubber covered ends where theirs and alan key that squishes down on em filled it up with dielectric grease and i haven't had an issue since. got really annoying for a while, every other day having to wiggle those things and let the ECM relearn for the first few miles.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 09:59 PM
The Parts Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97t-bird View Post
So looks like I am going to start replacing battery wires, and suggestions on what or where to get them?
I usually just make my own with solder on lugs and appropriately sized cable. For a stock layout, 4 ga cable should be fine.

I get the cable locally, and I order lugs, fuse holders/blocks, etc from: http://www.wiringproducts.com/

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 11:26 PM
Kind of slapped together

4ga cable is fine - you can also start the Big Three and use something like welding cable (check at a welding supply store for off fall or trim pieces), which is, last I checked, 0 or 00 gauge, and flexible.

I put 2ga cable in when I redid Ruby.

I just need to drop the cables from the starter solenoid on the fender to the starter solenoid on the starter, and replace those also.

RwP
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Glad you got it figured out!

And I've seen that problem before, that's why I don't like those clamps on battery connectors - the molded ones are much better!

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 05:52 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
If you soak the cable with oil after you get the new connection made, or a new cable, it will last a lot longer.

I apply gear lube to them after soldering, while it's still hot; it soaks in pertty good that way...

Oil keeps out water; even wd is better than nothing. But Thick oil doesn't come out.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in