1700 Rpm Idle - 96 Mkviii - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Angry 1700 Rpm Idle - 96 Mkviii

Cleaned MAF no change - Swapped in new MAF & no change, pulled Battery Lead too- IAC & TPS 1 year old - No Vaccuum leaks - Pretty much drivin me nuts - Help.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
On my old 93 I had a similar issue for a while. Turned out to be the cruise cable had rusted then gotten stuck, causing it to prevent the throttle valve from closing fully at idle.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Thanx I will check - Now why when I Search MAF on these Boards do I get no Matches ? - That;s impossible, what am I doing wrong there ?

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
4 character minimum.

Try a google search with "site: http://forums.tccoa.com/" at the beginning

-Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
My 97 lsc developed a huge vacuum leak on the bottom of the dual bore throttle body. It was the one that points to the passenger side (not sure about 96.) there was some kinda brass screw thing with a seal that deteriorated and fell out. Perhaps this was for fine-tuning of the idle, not real sure. I noticed upon a start one day that it idled high and made lots of noise under the hood. It was the vacuum leak making the sucking sound. I put a plug in there and never looked back. Would be nice if your problem was that easy, but you haven't found any vacuum leaks. Keep us posted!

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to driller
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
IAC & TPS 1 year old - No Vaccuum leaks - Pretty much drivin me nuts - Help.
If the 1 year old IACV was not a Motorcraft, get one.

Also, make sure the TPS hasn't magically unplugged itself. Yes, it happens.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Hey JP how did the cobra intake swap imrc delete go? I've been considering it for a while but I can't seem to get a good price on the cobra intake and am worried about the lag on the low end. If it's not a problem I might have to wait until after my wedding and get the MMR sheet metal b-head intake instead. Let me know because my current setup is running out of air on the high end with the cams and my 1/4 mile times are suffering because of it.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 AM
PostWhore

I had to push it aside for other projects. I'm basically ready to put it all back together once it gets back in the rotation.

On my '96 Mark VIII, I had a very similar high idle appear all at once. After searching, I removed the throttle body and it turned out the TPS was unplugged!

Also carefully check the throttle body to intake tube seal. It is not uncommon to have it not seal properly due to its location. I glue the seal onto the lip of the intake tube to keep it properly in place.

Plus I've seen and heard of more than one instance of 'replacement' IACV's that failed after a year or so. They almost always turned out to be generic parts store brands.

Moral of story... if I replace any critical sensor or actuator in the engine compartment, I try to get Motorcraft if at all possible.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Knew it was'nt IAC as it would actually start Idling at 2200RPM & quickly drop to 1700 (IAC functioning).

Idled at 1700 RPM with SECOND Reman MAF but it finally triggered some helpful codes unlike previous 2 MAFs - TPS not in expected position for MAF state - Unplugged TPS & it went to 800RPM just like when I unplugged any of 3 MAFs - Replaced my 1 year old TPS w/old TPS I replaced during a previous IAC job & it purrs~!

Wires in second Reman MAF look just like OEM MAF - Wires in first Reman MAF were not as pretty - My OEM MAF may still be good but running the Reman, my gas mileage was down recently.

New IAT triggered an IAT Hi Input Code at install but after clearing never came back.

EGR Codes are gone with new Presure Differential Sensor.

Runs like a scalded Ape... 176K Miles.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:15 PM
PostWhore

Glad you found the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in