4Likes
  • 2 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Crown vic engine swap

Upon looking in to a pi head swap for my 95, ive come to the realization that I can buy a moderately used (2008 130k) crown vic engine for half the price of everything I need to swap on to my stock engine. Ive never swapped an engine before but my dad has a shop in which im sure he could assist me with it. Is it just a drop-in and go thing or do I need other components to compliment the engine? Like ive said, im somewhat new at this so any input on the procedure and precautions would be much appreciated. At this point its still just an option but I will consider what you guy have to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:31 AM
PostWhore

None of these swaps are ever drop and go. You still will need the intake manifold and all related components, intake pipe/TB/EGR/etc for a 96-97 T-Bird, plus do all the same work you would have done with the PI swap - extend all the wires for the EGR, etc because the 95 is different.

The Crown Vic has the intake pipe on the left side, and a 2008 is drive by wire, so the intake manifold plus anything that attaches to it gets thrown away. Exhaust manifolds may even be different.

A lot of stuff to change, but I consider a PI swap on a 95 to be a lot of work.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
None of these swaps are ever drop and go. You still will need the intake manifold and all related components, intake pipe/TB/EGR/etc for a 96-97 T-Bird, plus do all the same work you would have done with the PI swap - extend all the wires for the EGR, etc because the 95 is different.

The Crown Vic has the intake pipe on the left side, and a 2008 is drive by wire, so the intake manifold plus anything that attaches to it gets thrown away. Exhaust manifolds may even be different.

A lot of stuff to change, but I consider a PI swap on a 95 to be a lot of work.

Al
The intake manifold is the same regardless of which way the throttle body faces, so if the replacement engine has an intake manifold on it, don't throw that away!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM
PostWhore

Garage
The "pros" of the 2008 motor are it's all PI, compression remains low so you can get approximately 260 crank horsepower with a good tune, and most parts are readily available.

However, even though it's more work as you need the top end and fuel system off a 96-97 Thunderbird to do a PI swap, and the valley coolant line, the PI head/intake swap gets you a good chunk of more available power thanks to the higher static compression, but it requires 91 octane or better.

I can't say it's "more" work than swapping an entire motor, but it's a good bit of work. Personally, I'd do it because more power is more power.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

How much gain is there from converting my current block to PI?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 12:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KULLER94 View Post
How much gain is there from converting my current block to PI?
If you go full bolt ons (Kooks headers, full exhaust, under drives, properly sized fuel injectors, bigger MAF, throttle body) and a good, competent dyno tune you can get ~300 at the crank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
300 at the crank is a stretch, stuff like underdrives and TB/plenums really don't do squat, and while kooks will open things up, the scavenging benefits of longer headers won't be fully utilized with a stock PI cam with little overlap, so all you get is the flow, which really ported manifolds are adequate at.

Personally I'd just do a full motor swap rather than the headswap. The newer motors have everything you need INCLUDING the valley tube(I ran the Crown Vic one for years), have better components like the crank sprocket/trigger wheel, and you can just flip the plenum/throttle body around.While you're there you can put on all new gaskets and seals in otherwise inaccessible areas as well, which is really nice down the road. All you'd have to source, which you would regardless, would be the intake tube, EGR tube and vacuum lines off a 96/7 tbird, and if you want to save the hassle of swapping fuel lines under the fender, use fuel rails from a 96-97 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Swapping heads with the block in the car sucks ass. I love compression, but I dislike leaky tired short blocks, and really dislike guiding a 40 lb cylinder head with a weird shaped tube into a hole two feet below.
T6Rocket and Woodman like this.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 03-02-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:26 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
300 at the crank is a stretch, stuff like underdrives and TB/plenums really don't do squat, and while kooks will open things up, the scavenging benefits of longer headers won't be fully utilized with a stock PI cam with little overlap, so all you get is the flow, which really ported manifolds are adequate at.

Personally I'd just do a full motor swap rather than the headswap. The newer motors have everything you need INCLUDING the valley tube(I ran the Crown Vic one for years), have better components like the crank sprocket/trigger wheel, and you can just flip the plenum/throttle body around.While you're there you can put on all new gaskets and seals in otherwise inaccessible areas as well, which is really nice down the road. All you'd have to source, which you would regardless, would be the intake tube, EGR tube and vacuum lines off a 96/7 tbird, and if you want to save the hassle of swapping fuel likes under the fender, fuel rails from a 96-97 Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Swapping heads with the block in the car sucks ass. I love compression, but I dislike leaky tired short blocks, and really dislike guiding a 40 lb cylinder head with a weird shaped tube into a hole two feet below.
I understand that, and it is a logical thing to do. My car already had PI heads, cams, intake on it when I got it. But I figure if you want more power, and all you have to do is the heads, cams, intake, why not do it? Personally, I would have done the cams too if I was doing mine, but it's all good.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 02:37 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I should say if the op has a cherry picker and stand at their disposal I'd pull the old motor and swap the heads onto it(and new gaskets and whatnot) and swap it back in. In that case the headswap is cake. I just learned the hard way the troubles of doing it all in the car
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I should say if the op has a cherry picker and stand at their disposal I'd pull the old motor and swap the heads onto it(and new gaskets and whatnot) and swap it back in. In that case the headswap is cake. I just learned the hard way the troubles of doing it all in the car
Agreed! It probably takes about the same amount of time to swap the heads in the car as it does to pull the motor, swap them, and re-install the motor. The only difference is whether you want to spend that time easily able to reach things and see what you're doing, or whether you want to spend it getting your fore-arms scratched up reaching into places you can't see to remove and re-install bolts by feel, that you can only get 1/8 of a turn on with a wrench.
Woodman likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in