95 Tbird Cold Start issue - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By V8ThunderCat
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

95 Tbird Cold Start issue

i got a 95 Tbird thats been givng me quite the headache lately. long story short when i come out to first start it in the morning the car cranks and fires up just fine, however immediately after starts sporadically idling and choking and more times than not dies. no CEL no codes on the scanner. if i had to guess the car only has around 100k on it (Odo died just short of 80k about 5 years ago and the car has shared a driving role with up to 4 other vehicles). once i get the car moving and it warms up it runs completely fine. ive scoured the forums for a post describing what i have going on however most posts involve a cold no start issue . mine fires right up and then carries on for a couple of seconds and then dies. if anyone could point me in the direction of a previous post i may have overlooked or shed some light on this issue and what may be causing it would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:03 AM
PostWhore

I would be focusing on the IAC valve or check for vacuum leaks. It sounds like you don't have a cold idle, which the IAC bumps up to around 1000 for ~30 sec.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Poster

I'm having a similar issue with my 94, but it doesn't die. When I start the car it idles at around 700-800. After it warms up a bit the idle jumps up to 1000 to as high as 1800rpm. I don't know what it could be, it has about 60k on it. My odometer is broken too lol.I can hear the exhaust rattle near the front seats for about 1.5 seconds when I start it, not sure if that could be a factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 01:17 PM
PostWhore

Drew, your issue also sounds like the IAC valve, which is on the rear of the intake manifold. It is what that weird plastic contraption attaches to that connects to the rubber hose connector at the throttle body. They are not super expensive. Outside chance it is just a vacuum leak.

The exhaust rattle is likely a bad catalytic converter. It has disintegrated to the point of only having one piece honeycomb left that is bouncing around inside it. More of a nuisance than anything as I doubt you have emissions testing for a car that old.

Al

Previous Fords:
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Poster

Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out when I have the time. I'm in Alabama we don't have any sort of vehicle inspections. I've only had this particular bird for 8 days.
I have one more question, it's a bit challenging to put the car into park and there is always a small amount of very thick black grease on the radio side of the gear selector.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 04:29 PM
PostWhore

Garage
My IAC going bad did similar things. Mine seemed to happen most often when going over a bump, it would get stuck at that super high idle and then, if I hit another bump, it would go back to normal.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew96dawg View Post
Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out when I have the time. I'm in Alabama we don't have any sort of vehicle inspections. I've only had this particular bird for 8 days.
I have one more question, it's a bit challenging to put the car into park and there is always a small amount of very thick black grease on the radio side of the gear selector.
The goo is the shifter reverting back into what it was made of originally. Eventually the OD button will cease to function and the shift button will become stuck at times. Either get another shifter from these forums or at a junkyard, or wire a button for OD somewhere and go with one of the few aftermarket shifters. Personally I have wired in a new OD button but have yet to replace the shifter.

When it comes to the IAC valve just wait until it sticks while idling and you can reach 40 mph without even touching the gas, lol! Boy, did my mileage suck during that time but it did feel as if my car had a few hundred more horsepower while idling.
Woodman likes this.

-Randy-
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:08 AM
1st Gear Poster

The highest I've gotten up to is 28mph idling lmao. The od button has already croaked, the old timer I got the vehicle from wired a new button where the ashtray used to be. As long as I'm cautious and avoid snapping the shifter it will be fine right? I plan on trying to find a 96-97 console because I prefer the layout a bit better.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
PostWhore

Along with the console, be sure to get the ashtray/cigarette lighter unit from the 96-97, which mounts in the bottom dash compartment in front of the console.

Al
Woodman likes this.

Previous Fords:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew96dawg View Post
The highest I've gotten up to is 28mph idling lmao. The od button has already croaked, the old timer I got the vehicle from wired a new button where the ashtray used to be. As long as I'm cautious and avoid snapping the shifter it will be fine right? I plan on trying to find a 96-97 console because I prefer the layout a bit better.
Worst case scenario you have to pull the shifter off and push down on the lever to switch gears. If you don't mind keeping the OD button relocated then it's simple enough to use an aftermarket shifter. I personally installed a 12v outlet and dual USB ports inside of my center console box in preparation for a '97 console and because the old cigar lighter circuit couldn't seem to hold 12v when used anymore. I have the VMM option so nothing else is going in that din.

-Randy-
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 06:06 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
Along with the console, be sure to get the ashtray/cigarette lighter unit from the 96-97, which mounts in the bottom dash compartment in front of the console.

Al
I have one available if anyone needs one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in