Engine stalls when warmed up. Bad coil pack? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Question Engine stalls when warmed up. Bad coil pack?

In the middle of a 50 mile trip the engine began to cut out and after completely stalling twice I had the car towed home. I do have a power steering leak that causes fluid to spray up and over the alternator when the reservoir is filled but it doesn't seem to hit the coils. The engine pings and backfires during the stalling. I can make short trips but when the engine gets up to normal operating temp for long enough it begins stalling again.

Spark plug wires seem fine when I pulled them from the coil pack while the engine was running to check for spark. Misting them with water in the dark revealed no arcing. Spark plug gaps were way off but cleaning them and gapping them only fooled me into thinking things were fine when I managed to go further than usual. Coil packs have been replaced in the past with the most recent one having been replaced within the last 2 or 3 years and the first one having been replaced around 8 years ago. Plugs have just under 30,000 miles on them.

I would like to think the issue is that I need a new coil pack because I used cheaper ones from Autozone or Advance instead of going with motorcraft. The searching I've done made me question that theory because a lot of people doubt coil packs of going bad very often. I suppose it could be the cam position sensor but I'd like a bit more affirmation before I begin trying to replace that. Even though I found some motorcraft coil packs for a great price at Rockauto I'm leaning towards doing the COP modification.

Am I the only one who thinks I have a bad coil pack?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there was no CEL until after the stalling and there are no shops in Cisco that I know of where I can get the codes read for free. Maybe the college or NAPA can help me but I can assume it's saying that there is a misfire and may tell me which coil pack it is if it is indeed a bad coil pack.

-Randy-

Last edited by V8ThunderCat; 04-22-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The information around can sure be fragmented at times. I searched about the cam sensor and found that the crank sensor is more likely based on replies. Maybe I'll go ahead and replace both just because of how old everything is.

EDIT: By the way unplugging the MAF makes no change. If it matters the IAC valve and the TPS are both brand new. There are no vacuum leaks and I have a PI intake.

-Randy-

Last edited by V8ThunderCat; 04-22-2016 at 06:27 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Slow weekend? Anyway I've come to find that the grime caused by the power steering leak must have caused a poor connection within the crankshaft position's connector. The water from washing the engine had actually helped until plugging the engine fan back causing the water to be blown away which is why I drove so far until it started stalling. I noticed the AC not blowing cold air when I tried going to Abilene and the stalling started a moment after plugging the fan back in. Messing with the connector caused the no start condition I'm used to which led me to believe that cleaning it was the solution. I managed to go 22 miles with no more issue.

-Randy-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

And so it goes; one thing leads to another.

Do you realize you were just passed by a NASCAR? I didn't think so.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 05:46 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Slow weekend? Anyway I've come to find that the grime caused by the power steering leak must have caused a poor connection within the crankshaft position's connector. The water from washing the engine had actually helped until plugging the engine fan back causing the water to be blown away which is why I drove so far until it started stalling. I noticed the AC not blowing cold air when I tried going to Abilene and the stalling started a moment after plugging the fan back in. Messing with the connector caused the no start condition I'm used to which led me to believe that cleaning it was the solution. I managed to go 22 miles with no more issue.
I'd get that power steering leak fixed up first,as it is the head of the daisy chain causing your issue. Spraying water in an engine with lots of electrical connections is not the best idea either. Not a bad idea to go ahead and replace the crankshaft position sensor while you're in there fixing things up. Clean it up, dry it all off, see how it does then.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 PM
The Parts Guy

If it reoccurs, I'd suggest hooking up a fuel pressure gauge temporarily. Chances are, the fuel pump is on its way out.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars
[email protected]
90 XR7-The Meth Addict-KB SC'd 5.0L DOHC Stroker
2004 Mustang GT-The Driver-Intake/Exhaust/3.73's
1995 F150 4x4-The Mud Toy-5.0L/4R70W/33's/Warn 8274 Winch
94 LX w/Splitport 3.8L from 2000 Mustang - SOLD
2 - 90 35th Anny Ed SC's
And a TON of parts cars!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 AM
PostWhore

I agree that spraying water in an engine compartment for any reason is not a good idea. Even for cleaning purposes. My focus would be on anything that that PS fluid touched.

I have had coil packs go bad, but the symptoms were similar to bad wires - bucking when climbing a hill in OD at low RPM, under a heavy load.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:59 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Coil packs are too easy, but if you must buy some from the junk yard.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks, I agree. I hate having to place water near anything electrical but that power steering fluid was everywhere. It'll stay clean as long as I don't add anymore fluid for the time being. That PS fluid eats away at my strut rod bushings that were already bad. I'm ordering a pump and pressure hose which means this will be the 3rd time they have been replaced since I've owned the car with the last time being 2 years ago. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the rack again but I'm about ready if it is needed. I've had zero power steering for the last 6 months at least and it was random before then.

While I'm at it I may go ahead and do the sensors and COP upgrade while replacing the pressure hose with an AN line.

-Randy-
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 05:51 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I agree that spraying water in an engine compartment for any reason is not a good idea. Even for cleaning purposes. ...

Al
Anything under your hood should be able to take gentle water pressure, except the spark plug wells.

Those need to be blown out, but everything else should be fine, unless you only drive when it's dry.

I use a foaming cleaner under the hood and it looks great after rinsing; I've never had problems starting, after blowing out the SP wells.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in