• 1 Post By germz1986
  • 2 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
And y'all are right as usual

My remote oil filter does need those braided stainless cables, but that stock hose it came with should last awhile...

You know, I really should buy those braided AN lines..

Driving down the road, life is good, holy crap what's all that brown stuff on my driver side window? Oil! CRAP CRAP CRAP, oil pressure rapidly falling! CRAP CRAP CRAP!

So I had to wait an hour for a tow truck, get towed home, car continuing to bleed oil all over the shoulder (thankfully I caught it AS it happened). Cursory inspection on the side of the road shows that one of the lines split.

So back it into the garage by hand, get it up on stands, and drain what's left in the pan (2 qt). No shiny bits, and none on my magnetized drain plug, so that's good at least.

Anyone, I repeat ANYONE doing the remote oil filter. go ahead and get the good braided AN style hoses.

Not how I was planning on spending my day off. Ironically, I was on the way to the salvage yard to try and get a body harness from a keyless car, but I didn't make it there.

Let's hope the motor is OK. Going to put regular motor oil in (usually run synthetic) and a new filter, run it a few hundred miles, and inspect the oil again after I get a braided set of lines.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Since you shut it down right away, the motor should be fine.
Woodman likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Since you shut it down right away, the motor should be fine.
That's my hope too, just going to be overcautious.

Thanks.

2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 09:48 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I have a cheap Derale remote oil filter on my car. It has just barbs with rubber hoses and regular screw type clamps on them. I do get a bit of seeping from them, but never have had them fail or leak large amounts of oil at any time. Have had it on the car about 2 years and 30k miles.

I do really like the ability to run a larger filter and have it in a better location.
Woodman likes this.

1997 Royal Blue Metallic 4.6l
Pioneer P8400H
Diamond Audio D6 5x7's Driven by Hiffonics 4ch
Alpine Type R 12's
PRB Brakes
Tweecer Tuned by me
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by germz1986 View Post
I have a cheap Derale remote oil filter on my car. It has just barbs with rubber hoses and regular screw type clamps on them. I do get a bit of seeping from them, but never have had them fail or leak large amounts of oil at any time. Have had it on the car about 2 years and 30k miles.

I do really like the ability to run a larger filter and have it in a better location.
Upon inspection, it appears that the support I had holding the line up sagged, letting it get rubbed by the tire causing it to weaken.

So, clamps will be installed as well.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
It's ALIVE! Muh hah hah hah!

Got the oil filter relocation adapter off, had to unbolt the sway bar from the driver side rail, and pop the end link off the driver side to get the oil filter in (thanks 89 SC sway bars, I love ya, but every 3000 miles I hate ya), put an 820S I still had in the garage on, filled her full with 5 qt Motocraft 5w30 Synth blend, primed the pump, hit the trigger, and she fired right up, and pressure was up where it should be. She sounded fine, no issues thus far. Took her down the street for gas, no issues, and will go ahead and change the oil when I burn up the gas in the tank.

Hoping for no metal flakes.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Scratch that. 5 miles down the road KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

Pushed it home, trailing oil the whole way. I'll jack it up and inspect tomorrow, but not looking good.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
Scratch that. 5 miles down the road KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK!

Pushed it home, trailing oil the whole way. I'll jack it up and inspect tomorrow, but not looking good.

So here's the rough plan...

Take the PI top end off my motor, found a Mark VIII missing the throttle body so I'll put my PI heads, intake, etc on it. Maybe some better cams to take advantage of the newfound compression. See if I can scrape up some money for headers too. Make the best of it, right?

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:09 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Bryan (miller1995) has a 2003 Explorer motor for sale!

Too far for you?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Bryan (miller1995) has a 2003 Explorer motor for sale!

Too far for you?

Joe
A little bit, he's about 12 hours away. I found a Mark VIII motor 5 hours away, calling local yards here in a little bit too.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:18 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdlD_b9uXo

So here's the rough plan...

Take the PI top end off my motor, found a Mark VIII missing the throttle body so I'll put my PI heads, intake, etc on it. Maybe some better cams to take advantage of the newfound compression. See if I can scrape up some money for headers too. Make the best of it, right?
There's no maybe about it, running pump gas without aftermarket cams to lower the static compression you're going to go from KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK to PING PING PING PING PING KNOCK

BTW welcome to the I broke the most reliable engine ever club!
Woodman and germz1986 like this.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 05-08-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
There's no maybe about it, running pump gas without aftermarket cams to lower the static compression you're going to go from KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK to PING PING PING PING PING KNOCK

BTW welcome to the I broke the most reliable engine ever club!
Yeah, I started a new thread looking for thoughts as to what to do.
It's entirely my fault. I rubbed one of the oil lines with my tire, it burst, I can't blame anyone but me.

Irritated, but I'll go all Six Million Dollar Man on it, we have the technology, we can rebuild it. Stronger. Faster. LOL.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Yeah, I started a new thread looking for thoughts as to what to do.
It's entirely my fault. I rubbed one of the oil lines with my tire, it burst, I can't blame anyone but me.

Irritated, but I'll go all Six Million Dollar Man on it, we have the technology, we can rebuild it. Stronger. Faster. LOL.
Yeah mine was my fault too, I took a couple long roadtrips last summer without checking the oil level, figuring I'd change the oil when I got back, and right before I did the dummy gauge started dropping to 0 at stops - not good - so I changed it immediately after, but it was too late. Plus 5w20 sucks, I started using that weight because the newer 4.6s spec it, but it just made the engine more eager to consume it and less protected when it got low.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Yeah mine was my fault too, I took a couple long roadtrips last summer without checking the oil level, figuring I'd change the oil when I got back, and right before I did the dummy gauge started dropping to 0 at stops - not good - so I changed it immediately after, but it was too late. Plus 5w20 sucks, I started using that weight because the newer 4.6s spec it, but it just made the engine more eager to consume it and less protected when it got low.
I did that in my previous Thunderbird, but I did check oil often. Didn't notice any use, but it was a 97, and it was pretty good on it. That car got totalled, lady rear ended me while I was waiting on a left turn.

I started using 0w30 Mobile 1 synthetic in my 99 Mustang GT. Since I live in Duluth, MN, I figured the 0w would be useful in colder starts (I liked to fire up the motor once a month to keep it going, charge the battery) and I had been using 0w20 in my Crown Victoria and it always started with no complaint even at -20F actual temp. My 2007 Caravan work vehicle with 5w20 SCREAMS on those cold startups. Don't want that with my personal vehicles.

I'm bummed. But working on a plan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in