EGR sticks with Citgo, not with Mobil gas? - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By S4gunn
  • 1 Post By bowez

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Question EGR sticks with Citgo, not with Mobil gas?

I have 3 cars and I was gassing all three up at the local Citgo station. The check engine light turned on the 95 4.6 LX. I think it was for excessive flow. I used a vacuum hand pump to move around the EGR a bit, reset the error code and it would work for a few months and fail again. One day the Citgo station was shut down because a car crashed into the pumps so I filled up at the local Mobil station. The car ran so much smoother and never has had a check engine light for EGR again since I switched it over to Mobil. Any guesses why this might happen? The other two newer cars I own run fine on the Citgo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2UBP View Post
I have 3 cars and I was gassing all three up at the local Citgo station. The check engine light turned on the 95 4.6 LX. I think it was for excessive flow. I used a vacuum hand pump to move around the EGR a bit, reset the error code and it would work for a few months and fail again. One day the Citgo station was shut down because a car crashed into the pumps so I filled up at the local Mobil station. The car ran so much smoother and never has had a check engine light for EGR again since I switched it over to Mobil. Any guesses why this might happen? The other two newer cars I own run fine on the Citgo.
I have no clue as to what causes it, but id put my money on the slightly different chemical engineering between brands. My 94 4.6 seems to prefer vpower nitro+ to all other gas including non ethanol. ExxonMobil is a close second.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew96dawg View Post
I have no clue as to what causes it, but id put my money on the slightly different chemical engineering between brands. My 94 4.6 seems to prefer vpower nitro+ to all other gas including non ethanol. ExxonMobil is a close second.
Did you know that our gasoline distribution systems in the US are shared amongst all brands?
- All brands contribute to a given local tank farm. Chevron deposits 10K gallons of regular via their pipeline system and they are then allowed to take out 10K gallons in return.
- The only difference is in the additive package they put in when the tanker takes that fuel to the point of sale (approx 5 gal for a 10K gallon tanker).

If you are filling up your car in the same locale, it's almost certain that the fuel originated from the same farm. The additives ARE different though which may contribute to the difference performance between the various brands. At the end of the day though, the end product is more similar than the marketing will let you believe.
-g
N2UBP likes this.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 06-27-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 08:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd bet on condition of tanks in the ground.
N2UBP likes this.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 07:47 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Also, when the regular unleaded in ground tanks are full
and the delivery truck driver still has regular in his trailer,
he dumps it in the premium in ground tank.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 11:19 AM
1st Gear Poster

I did not know this, thank you. Knowledge is a great thing
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 01:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
It is all about the additive pack.

I read a test a while back that exxon has the most in regular octane in parts per million, of detergents. Shell in Premium has the most, period.

For my car, i normally would get Exxon as it was around the corner and the cheapest in town, new town now, and that exxon is no longer an Exxon. It is an Ex-Exxon.

The only fuel i stay away from is stuff like WaWa or *insert generic name here* fuels, like U.S. Petroleum or Patriot Fuels, etc. It's just i am a guy who likes to know what additive pack is going into my fuel, and if i shop at known brands i will at least know what is going in there.

Realisticaly, the Citgo station probably has a crappy underground storage tank that hasn't been pumped out in years. You live in NY so you get E10, ethanol is a great water dispersal agent, causing it to mix in with the gasoline at pumpout time. Also it may have more than 10% Ethanol in the fuel, that could cause errors as the engine is running too lean or too rich from the increased alcohol content. I don't go to Citgo personally, it is more of a 'i don't support the government that owns it' situation. I know a lot of the oil and stuff comes from overseas. but at least the final stop is a company not owned by Venezuela.

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? I'd venture a guess that it is kinda nasty. Dump some Heet in there, run it through, and then replace the filter.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 09:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Twenty Years of Techron Yield Unclear Results - Bloomberg
Not clear how effective the additives are...

Ask Our Experts
By Chevron's own marketing comments, a tank of gas (say 12 gallons as per the bottle) is 10x more concentrated than what you get when you buy Chevron vs. spot-market-station gas (no additives).

For me, even with my B5 S4 Audi, I just use the cheapest gas I can find. Then, the tank before every oil change, I'll dump a bottle of this snake oil into the tank and burn that off. You experience far more cleaning power this way and cost wise, here are some basic calculations.

My audi gets 25MPG.
5K oil change interval = 200 gallons between oil changes
Chevron is ~10-20c/gallon more than the independent shops = $20-$40
Techron bottle = $5.

I don't even bother with concentrations on my appliance Prius.
The tbird gets whatever is closest to the racetrack.
-g

PS. I bet the issue is with your fuel filter or that specific station's tanks.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in