4.6 "Studdering" After Intake Leaked Coolant In Spark Plug Wells - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

4.6 "Studdering" After Intake Leaked Coolant In Spark Plug Wells

Ok did my motor swap to a 84k 4.6 in the ole cougar, everything went good and i drove it a little while and i noticed it was getting a little bit of a "studder" under a strain so i got a led out and started looking around, pushing on plug wires, ect.. i noticed the coolant chambers in the intake both front and back had started leaking a little bit and was drippling down into the plug wells, obviously liquid/spark not a good idea so i yanked all the wires and got hemostats and paper towels and soaked up the coolant, replaced the plugs, and swapped intakes for my old intake, figuring this would solve the problem.. Well.... it didnt, its still studdering when you give it gas and i have no idea what to check next.. im moving in 2 days and need this thing up and rolling.. Anyone got any ideas??? Thanks in advance!!
Zac

Been on here 15yrs and havent been for a while and tried to log in and no success so i emailed and no response, so had to start a new account, this is why i have no creds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:00 PM
PostWhore

Replace the intake manifold gasket and tighten the intake manifold gaskets to 18lbs. If you're reusing the same plug wires, be sure they are clean and add some di-electric grease to boots.

It could also be that you have coolant in the combustion chambers that hasn't burnt off if you had that much coolant in the spark plug tubes.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Maybe you still have an intake leak? Or maybe some more coolant made its way down into the spark plug wells while you were changing the intake? I would first look to see if you have coolant in the plug wells again. If you do, then you need to track down the leak. If not, then I would put plug wires on it, and if that doesn't solve the problem, you'll need to get a little more in depth with compression testing, and swapping components around to try to track down what is causing the miss.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the input. i checked for a leak yesterday and couldnt find anything, gonna pull wires and dab to see if any coolant is in plug wells and meticulously search for a leak. i did just replace the gasket set when i swapped the intake and plugs. i will clean inside of plug wires and get some electric grease for boots. trying not to spend any more money on this thing i have 3500 in a 1000 car already lol.. thank you! i will check back in tonight..

Been on here 15yrs and havent been for a while and tried to log in and no success so i emailed and no response, so had to start a new account, this is why i have no creds.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 AM
PostWhore

Replace the plug wires with a new Motorcraft set. That should fix you right up.

Might as well also throw a new set of factory plugs in there, unless they are new.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM
5th Gear Poster

When you replaced the spark plugs make sure it didn't crack. I had a stumble because of coolant in the spark plug well and I cleaned everything up and changed wires and plugs, I think I overtightened a plug and cracked it and I had no idea what the issue was for a solid week. I went back and checked the plugs, sure enough one was cracked hairline.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
What intake manifold gasket did you use? Did you spray carb cleaner or equivalent into the spark plug wells and then vacuum it out/use pressurized air to blow it out??
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 12:53 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Garage
My Lincoln is doing the same thing. Coil packs don't like being shorted . That would be a good thing to check...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 05:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

I had some thing similar happen to me I had to change out the tps sensor on mine I still to this day don't know why it went but it runs better. with the new sensor on it. so I would swap that one out. it would chug like a locomotive and run horrible till I changed it. I also cleaned out the orifice where the egr hooks up to just to make sure it wasn't dirty on that end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in