• 1 Post By jdm3gee
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 1 Post By Woodman
  • 2 Post By CDsDontBurn
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Oil in Coolant And P0174

I recently received a 1995 Cougar 4.6. There are a few issues but I'm asking them in their respective areas. So I have oil in the coolant. No coolant in the oil. And no bubbling from the reservoir when revving. I believe it can be that oil filter adapter that I've read about. The engine runs great otherwise. So I don't have a reason to suspect the head gasket.

I also had P0174 meaning it was running lean in bank 2. I cleared the code and after a little driving hasn't come back, yet. I'll see if it will after a while longer. If it does, could it be an O2 Sensor?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 06:44 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Definitely sounds like the filter gasket, headgasket failures on 4.6s are extremely rare.

I'd check for vacuum leaks for the P0174, there's quite a few rubber couplers that go bad with age
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Matt
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. I'll print up a vacuum diagram so I know what I'm looking at. I'm used to Hondas. Very nice Cougar by the way. What wheels are those?
CDsDontBurn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Thanks! They're factory 03 SVT Cobra 10th annivarsaries. I'm planing on changing them soon though since the tires are quite old and I'm ready to change it up a bit.

Pay special attention to the vacuum T at the very back of the intake, IIRC it runs to each bank on the #4 and #8 runners, that in particular would give a one side lean condition
jdm3gee likes this.

-Matt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

You were right. I started at the PCV. There was a vacuum leak at the upper line. Replaced that small hose. I found the "T" you were talking about and I'll check that tomorrow. I'm currently hunting another gremlin keeping me from being able to floor it. I'm thinking TPS.

My Sig. broke and I must buy a new one from Sears...

1991 Integra-Daily
1995 Cougar V8 Bostonian-Project/Toy
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

So when I get around to changing the oil adapter gasket, what tools do I normally need? I 've read around and it seems extensions are essential. I'm going to do it through the wheel well. So extensions, swivel sockets, and u-joints? Also 10mm?

1991 Integra-Daily
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm3gee View Post
So when I get around to changing the oil adapter gasket, what tools do I normally need? I 've read around and it seems extensions are essential. I'm going to do it through the wheel well. So extensions, swivel sockets, and u-joints? Also 10mm?
Pretty much
jdm3gee likes this.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:49 AM
PostWhore

I found the top bolt to be the most difficult to do as it was the hardest to get to. If you have someone else to help you out, it'd probably make the job a little easier.
Woodman and jdm3gee like this.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

So... The pcv hoses aren't leaking. I used the cigar trick to look for cracks. For grins and giggles, I pulled number 5 and 8 spark plugs and I saw this. wire number 8 was an orange color as well. like rust. Intake Manifold gasket failure? could that be why I'm leaning? I've also noticed that i get pinging under load around 3000 rpm.

1991 Integra-Daily
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:51 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I found the top bolt to be the most difficult to do as it was the hardest to get to. If you have someone else to help you out, it'd probably make the job a little easier.
My old motor is out of the car on a stand, with the side of the engine facing up, and that bolt was STILL hard.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
My old motor is out of the car on a stand, with the side of the engine facing up, and that bolt was STILL hard.
Would you advise using an impact wrench to take it off? I somehow broke my breaker bar...

1991 Integra-Daily
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:14 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm3gee View Post
Would you advise using an impact wrench to take it off? I somehow broke my breaker bar...
Worst part of that top filter/adapter bolt is it's difficult to get to, how do you expect to get an impact up in there? Not to mention talk about overkill, torque spec on those bolts are like 20 ft/lbs!
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Worst part of that top filter/adapter bolt is it's difficult to get to, how do you expect to get an impact up in there? Not to mention talk about overkill, torque spec on those bolts are like 20 ft/lbs!
wobble sockets/ u joints/ and extension... Idk. maybe I'll just go in with my crescent wrench and pray. hahaha

My impact is a low end makita... It probably maxes out at 25ft/lbs..

1991 Integra-Daily

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in