90MM Lightning MAF on our 4.6 TBirds? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

90MM Lightning MAF on our 4.6 TBirds?

Hey, I'm in the process of supercharging (vortech) and I will obviously need a new MAF since the stock one will probably bottleneck and besides I don't want to reduce my inlet from a 90mm to a smaller size as that'll probably bottleneck the MAF even quicker and cause other issues in tuning that I don't want to deal with. That being said I know some Mustang guys that run Lightning MAFs on their SC'd setups with a 6 pin to 4 pin MAF adapter and standalone IAT (like we already have). So if Mustang guys are doing it we should be able to as well. I'd like to get some insight from the forums, because the Lightning MAF is rumored to be good for 400+ whp, which is within my goals, and it's a lot cheaper than an SCT MAF, in fact Yates has it for under a hundred bucks ( http://www.yatesperformance.com/en1200.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_content=EN1200&gclid=CjwKEAjwkJfABRDnhbPlx6WI4ncSJADMQqxdAVDJsKy1 xmOnH60TyiznMBmKLgPoAFqWKuV3SvV6SBoCKd_w_wcB )
whereas an SCT can run me a pretty penny. I'd like to know if the Lightning MAF is tuner friendly cause I don't want problems for my future tuner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 06:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well my SC is running one so, I'd figure if the 3.8 can with no problems the 4.6 can too.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You don't even need an connector adapter, MN12s use separate IATs, so the stock connector is already 4 pins with the two outboard holes plugged. Plug and tune.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thanks for the reply. But I will need an adapter because the Lightning MAFs are square-style connectors and the ones we have are oval, The pin ins and outs are pretty much the same with the exception of the two IAT pins on the connector, 1at pin and 6th pin.

Also, bowez, how are you running it on your SC do you have a tune for it or did you just plug it in? Are the SC MAFs 90mm too? I know to run a 90mm on an NA 4.6 requires a tune definitely.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:54 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
any non-standard MAF will require a re-tune. there is no learning/adaptation for this kind of change. Wouldn't that be easy...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yes my SC is tuned, I'm not exactly stock. The connector is not a big thing at all, just get matching connector and repin with your existing wires.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
Yes my SC is tuned, I'm not exactly stock. The connector is not a big thing at all, just get matching connector and repin with your existing wires.
Oops. I'm retarded, I didn't read your signature

Alright. I think I'll go with the Lightning MAF, I'm sure I won't peg it with the 90mm tubing all the way to the inlet. Should keep air velocity down....I think.

I need to sort out injectors and then it's time to put it all together and get it tuned. Any recommendations or injectors for sale?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I've had a 90mm maf on mine for 10+ years don't remember having to do anything other than pluging it in and tune.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
I agree with Vic, I don't remember having to do anything besides plug it in and tune it. I run a 1996 and the connector was the same.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 10:36 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The connector only needs to be changed on pre-1996s, which use a different design.

-Matt
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That explains why it was so easy to install on my '97.

I'm making 375 RWHP on 42 lb injectors.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
That explains why it was so easy to install on my '97.

I'm making 375 RWHP on 42 lb injectors.
So then this should plug right in. I think I'm having a brain fart but this doesn't look like the right connector...but then again its been a while since I cleaned it...
1999-2004 Ford Racing Lightning & Cobra 90mm 90 mm Mass Air Meter M-12579-L54 MAF xmOnH60TyiznMBmKLgPoAFqWKuV3SvV6SBoCKd_w_wcB

So, Mike, what's your setup like? What other mods do you have? Stock block and heads or is there other work done? Vortech, AED?

Thanks for the help btw guys.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

That is the MAF I have. Here are the basics of my engine setup:
* Teksid aluminum block with big bore kit (increases displacement to 5.0L)
* Stock crank
* Forged rods and pistons
* Modular Head Shop NPI ported heads with 0.5mm oversize valves
* Custom ground Bullet cams
* Roush/SVO supercharger ported by Steigemeier
* 8-rib pulleys
* 90mm Lightning MAF
* 75mm BBK throttle body
* 42 lb/hr injectors
* AIS water/meth system with two nozzles
* Stock coil towers with KB Boost-A-Spark
* Tuned by Donny Walsh at Walsh Motor Sports

The big limitation on the engine is the inability to reduce intake air temperature. The SVO has no provision for intercooling, of course. Adding the water/meth helped, but at 11 psi boost there is only 16 degrees of timing advance. The 375 RWHP was achieved on a chassis dyno at 80-90 F. When it is cool out, like earlier this week when I drove the car to work, there is much more power. It just can't deliver it in the summer.

MikeB
1997 Thunderbird Sport
5.0L-2V PI S/C
540 RWHP / 492 RWTQ
11.28 @ 123 MPH
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
That is the MAF I have. Here are the basics of my engine setup:
* Teksid aluminum block with big bore kit (increases displacement to 5.0L)
* Stock crank
* Forged rods and pistons
* Modular Head Shop NPI ported heads with 0.5mm oversize valves
* Custom ground Bullet cams
* Roush/SVO supercharger ported by Steigemeier
* 8-rib pulleys
* 90mm Lightning MAF
* 75mm BBK throttle body
* 42 lb/hr injectors
* AIS water/meth system with two nozzles
* Stock coil towers with KB Boost-A-Spark
* Tuned by Donny Walsh at Walsh Motor Sports

The big limitation on the engine is the inability to reduce intake air temperature. The SVO has no provision for intercooling, of course. Adding the water/meth helped, but at 11 psi boost there is only 16 degrees of timing advance. The 375 RWHP was achieved on a chassis dyno at 80-90 F. When it is cool out, like earlier this week when I drove the car to work, there is much more power. It just can't deliver it in the summer.
Nice, I have a full stock block and heads. Nothing done to it. Stock everything. I think running a centrifugal helps keep temps lower too, the supercharger is less prone to heatsoak and the discharge temps should be lower and what not. We'll see how long this motor lasts, I'm going really mild on it for now to see how I like it, 9-10 PSI max and hopefully 330 whp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in