And so it begins...... - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Xamot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

And so it begins......

So after a lot of complications and struggles for garage space, I finally have both cars at school.
Both drive lines have been removed and the rear diff with fresh 3.73 gears and trac-lok with the axles are installed into the Cougar. I'm going to have a few questions from you guys about wiring and what ever mods I can perform on the cheap to help me in HP department, as well as the transmission harness. Mechanical,I can figure out almost anything, the electronics are new to me and I haven't gotten those classes yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1104161610.jpg (1.34 MB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 1104161609.jpg (1.41 MB, 1 views)
Woodman and CDsDontBurn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 10:10 AM
PostWhore

Garage
You're going to need a tune, so look on Ebay for an inexpensive used Xcal 2, 3, or 4. You need one that is unlocked. If it's still married to the last car it tuned, it'll cost $150 for the manufacturer to unlock it.

The go to guy for a mail order tune is Don Lasota at LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training That's who is doing my tune. Just fill out the form with your mods (PI Intake/heads/cams, your 3.73 gears o adjust the shift points, and you're good.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

OKay,
So I have the engine in and I have discovered that the V8 harness the mount on the pass side has more pins than the reciever has active holes. Two of them look to be inactive. I understand that the ECM from the kickpanel has to go in, but will the wiring harness have to be changed as well?

Also, I monted the oil filter and discovered that it was to fat to fit. The cougar has a different P/S line that has a nub on it that interfers with the filter. Is ther a skinny one that is available?

Due to the past month, my instructor told me today that I have to have the car ot of the shop by Friday. Even If he has to psh it into the field behind the classroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 09:28 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamot View Post
OKay,
So I have the engine in and I have discovered that the V8 harness the mount on the pass side has more pins than the reciever has active holes. Two of them look to be inactive. I understand that the ECM from the kickpanel has to go in, but will the wiring harness have to be changed as well?

Also, I monted the oil filter and discovered that it was to fat to fit. The cougar has a different P/S line that has a nub on it that interfers with the filter. Is ther a skinny one that is available?

Due to the past month, my instructor told me today that I have to have the car ot of the shop by Friday. Even If he has to psh it into the field behind the classroom.
YOu should be able to swap the power steering line from the V8 car into the one getting the V8. Or you can get a remote mount filter kit, but that's extra $$$ and a little bit of hassle.

Did a search and you will have to swap the harness, not sure how much you have to remove, but if you have to slide the dash out a little it shouldn't be too bad, I'd assume that the wires run right up from the ECU to the harness in the engine bay.
http://forums.tccoa.com/9-engine-3-8...ml#post1221775

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in