4.6 mods afterthoughts. today, " Heater Hose" - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
4.6 mods afterthoughts. today, " Heater Hose"

Hello and welcome to " did I screw this up?"
THAT'S RIGHT.. the thread that we knew should have been here, but were too cool to ask, I finally ask..
'Hey! Did I screw this up?'
Somewhere I read, I could replace the metal hose that runs thru the valley under the intake manifold, with heater hose. Run the heater house out the front of the engine, loop it back around to the heater core.

Um.. engines get hot. I'm not certain that a long section of heater hose running under my intake manifold can withstand the heat of the engine block, even though, the hose IS heater core hose, just longer. Did I screw this up? ( knowing that I will have to pull off the intake manifold to replace the mod if it IS screwed..)

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The heat wouldn't concern me, as I doubt it gets much hotter than the coolant itself. What would concern me is if the hose is pinched or rubbing on something, will it eventually rub through and leak.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Pinching of the hose would concern me as well, especially with a PI intake, heat not at all, what comes out of the heater core feed hose is hotter than the outer valley.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It's just your standard 4.6 2V.... with a cast aluminium intake manifold, and the plenum mounted center mass, and the extreme rear of the manifold. Just so the firewall, the valence and everything attached or near, could ALSO be cumbersome when oh, changing a heater core hose, or perhaps, reconnecting the EGR tube to valve.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Today's subject, EGR TUBES.
In my haste to get my intake manifold installed, I seemed.to have snapped.off one orifice on my tube, and also have stretched the tube ( it accordions out ,not so well at back in). The replacement tube is A: made of hardened steel and B: too short to connect from exhaust manifold to EGR valve as.designed.
An added feature, the two orifices on the new tube, would stab into the back.of the block if.installed as it is pre-bent. Yes, I got.my money back ,no I don't want to.deal.with them.Any more, yea the let.me.keep.the part.
I need the Car to pass smog. My thought it to cut th e.existing brass pipe just under.the.orifices, slide.The.nut.down ,flare the.end, then couple the.new.tube to th would tube, male to female, and then to.The valve. What do you think?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 08:04 AM
Banned

in my old cougar which I took to the track almost every other weekend I ran a heater hose under the intake and for about 2 or 3 years I never had a problem and even ended up parting out the car but it worked just fine the entire time I used it just make sure your intake does not pinch or rub the hose
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you. The under intake coolant pipe to heater hose conversion is holding up well. It's my clamps that have failed which I replaced.
New issue, vacuum leak... I think I've hooked up the EGR back pressure transducer backwards because I'm getting NO power and sputtering .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in