• 1 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
New 4.8L Engine on the way?

Check this out.

Ford Developing a New 4.8L V8 Based on the Coyote?

Ford’s recent agreement with the Canadian labor union, Unifor, brought to light an interesting development regarding future product.

According to Reuters, Ford’s Essex Engine Plant in Windsor, Ontario, will produce a new 4.8-liter V8 engine expected for use in the F-150. Essex is also responsible for production of the Coyote 5.0 V8 used in both the Mustang and the F-150.

Not much is known about the new engine, besides a preliminary statement by Unifor head Jerry Dias. “This new engine will be the highest technology, will be the most fuel efficient, will have incredible torque, horsepower and will be put into Ford’s No. 1 selling vehicles throughout the North American chain.” Read More ...

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-25-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 10:12 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
My bet? I wouldn't be surprised to see this replace the 5.0 as a NA engine, direct injection should easily compensate for the displacement drop and the 5.0's required stroke increase always seemed like it was on the ragged edge. In fact this may have the same stroke as the 4.6, crank may even interchange in the future.

-Matt
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:55 AM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

A new 289, shorter stroke possibly.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 11:17 AM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Flat plane crank Maybe ??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Flat plane crank seems extremely unlikely, consider this statement carefully...

Quote:
“This new engine will be the highest technology, will be the most fuel efficient, will have incredible torque, horsepower and will be put into Ford’s No. 1 selling vehicles throughout the North American chain.”

No. 1 selling vehicle in North America = F-150. A rev happy engine on the ragged edge of reliability couldn't possibly be less suited to a truck application, and just by the nature of the crank layout "incredible torque" would be a stretch.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Flat plane crank seems extremely unlikely, consider this statement carefully...

No. 1 selling vehicle in North America = F-150. A rev happy engine on the ragged edge of reliability couldn't possibly be less suited to a truck application, and just by the nature of the crank layout "incredible torque" would be a stretch.
Agreed. While the flat plane is great for a high performance, rev happy motor, they have some drawbacks. Balancing is critical, maintenance is too. Reliability for an "occasional use" car may be acceptable, but for something that's going to be used to go mudding/towing/other hard uses? I think not.

Now I've seen people opine that the flat plane won't make a crate motor because they think the chassis is a critical function of balancing the motor, and I can understand that theory, I disagree. Cost may prevent it from being a crate motor, but I don't think there's much structural difference between the Mustang GT and the GT-350. It's just not cost effective to do it that way. Suspension tuning (sway bars, magna ride settings, etc) make up the changes to handling, along with strut tower bracing that could easily be installed on any stock GT.

In my opinion, the 4.8 is being developed for easier adaptation to Ecoboost options. With four cams, 32valves, and variable valve timing, optimizing torque isn't a difficult concept, and then revising cams or cam timing for more horsepower isn't a difficult concept.
Right now, MPG maximization is king, and sells the most vehicles. That's why the aluminum bodies on the F150 came about, and engine/transmission development are so heavily funded. There's a new 10 speed auto coming from a joint Ford/GM development, all to keep engines in their "sweet spot" and optimize ratios, spread, etc. The old school wide ratios are dead and gone, closely matched, optimized ratios are the way to go, and can make up for the losses developed by the automatic transmissions.

I'd love to see it as it develops, but I see it as a "truck motor" for the F150 for mileage concerns more than a Mustang motor for right now.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:27 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
I disagree with the car platform having anything to do with engine balance too. NVH would be more likely, the 5.2 is likely substantially better isolated than a 5.0, and anyone retrofitting that motor into something else using stock mounts, or worst yet, poly or solid mounts will have their teeth shaken out.

MPG considerations bolster my theory that this may very well replace the 5.0 in Mustangs in the future too though. The gains Direct injection allow will easily overcome the reduction in displacement, and in the long term I doubt the current power levels at 4xx horsepower will inflating from this point, so the goal then is simply matching it and perusing MPG. That's exactly what they did replacing the old 5.0 with the 4.6 in 1996, so it's not without precedent.
Woodman likes this.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in