My thanks to all for the great info provided with the latest replies. My son measured the 12 volts at the output side of the inertial switch (used the switch mounting screw for ground). He measured 12v for ~2secs after KOEO. This should rule out the electrical system, ccrm wiring and related. As terminator points out, my son tested good spark earlier while cranking. I assume this rules out the crank position sensor but let me know if itís not that simple. While it seems increasingly clear the fuel pump is all that is left, I still plan to test for fuel pressure with KOEO in the next few days (need to get over to Auto Zone).
I was also going to check the fuel pressure regulator for leakage at the vacuum port. If none, can I assume the FPR is not at fault? Remember, the engine does not even flirt with firing or stumbling. It just cranks.
Here is some history
I didnít mention earlier:
1) Over the past 5 years or so, there has been 3-4 instances where the car would crank and not start. After a second or third attempt or a little rest, it started right up normally.
2) Also, over the past several years Iíve noticed the speedometer stays at zero mph after startup. Once underway it starts working but sometimes becomes intermittent even underway. I donít recall any tachometer anomalies.
I have been warming up to gunnís idea to create an access hole in the trunk. No Tbrd should be without one!
I have tin snips, the grinder in the attached picture and a good Dremel tool. I wonder if the right attachment on the Dremel would make this easy?
1) I canít tell from the pictures gunn included exactly how to place the access door on top of the fuel pump. Does anybody have any dimensioning or positioning information for the access hole on a 4.6L 1997 LX?? Iím sure if I go in there and pic a good spot, Iíll be wrong and end up with an embarrassing mess!
2) I also canít tell how to RR the pump. Doesnít look like it screws in. What tools do I need? What do I need to RR the gas tubes from the pump?
3) I also attached a picture of the fuel pumps offered by Rock. Any comments about which would be a good bet?
Thanks again to all.