95 LX P0171 & P0174 - MAF sensor fix (or at least better) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

95 LX P0171 & P0174 - MAF sensor fix (or at least better)

95 LX with 235K miles. All stock. Developed P0171 and P0174 codes about a week ago. Did the reserach. Side note: I've been chasing what seemed to be a vacuum leak for ages, have already changed all the vacuum hoses per good instructions on this website but no success curing a stumbling idle with the car stopped in drive. I've ignored EGR MIL codes in the past without worrying about it, but didn't want to ignore the engine running too lean too long. Liberally cleaned the MAF sensor with CRC MAF sensor cleaner with no improvement. Short term fuel trims in the twenties.

Checked the fuel pressure at the regulator: 32 running; 42 with vacuum hose detached.

Tried the propane test again. Can't find any leaks.

Figured I'd swap out the MAF sensor. I replaced it like six years ago around emission test time, but didn't keep a record why. Never brought the original one back for the $15 core charge. Today I cleaned up the original one and reinstalled it, problem I've had for years where the engine seems like it's idling too low with the car stopped and in drive is cured. Now I can stop in traffic without it feeling like it's going to stall.

But now the STFTs are in the negative 20s. Drove it around town a couple times expecting to see P0172 and P0173 codes for too rich but nothing yet. Doesn't have as good acceleration as it did before I changed the MAF sensor. I'll put a couple hundred highway miles on it tomorrow and see how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Put the other maf in the trunk; you never know...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 AM
PostWhore

I had really good luck with an Advance Auto MAF on my old '95. The gas mileage improved, and never a hint of pinging after that.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:53 AM
4th Gear Poster

I just had my 96 in shop to take care of some things including these codes. Ended up having to replace several dry rotted hoses on the purge flow system and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. Only 1 of the O2 sensors was throwing a fault, but figured replacing all of them was due since they were all original stock.

No more codes here!

It runs 100% of the time 80% of the time.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Put 500 miles on it today. Drives good. No codes. STFTs are now in the low single digits. I'm happy with it. Bottom line the rough idle I was experiencing, still after replacing vacuum hoses, was remedied by replacing the MAF sensor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in