5Likes
  • 2 Post By MadMikeyL
  • 1 Post By XR7-4.6
  • 2 Post By r429460

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mn12 to ford 427fe swap

Hi I know people will say a waste of time, too much work, money ect. But this what I want to build a 1994 4.6 thunderbird with a built ford fe,and has aluminum parts makes lighter, it makes around 400hp on motor but plan on a nitrous then a turbo setup for the 1/8 any ideas on this? Far a gears since it a big block I'm thinking 3.55 since extra tq thanks Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:32 PM
5th Gear Poster

MN12 is the chassis designation for the car....you mean you want to swap a 427 FE in place of the 4.6. I'll say it probably won't fit just because of the displacement (4.6 to 7.0) but I have no idea what the dimensions of these engines are. Yes, anything can be done, and I feel like if you have the money and time to do what you want to do, that's completely fine. Yes, you might be able to swap in a aluminum 4V, supercharge it and be modern and make more power than that old 427, but it's all about what you want it to be like. Numbers are just numbers, they don't necessarily translate into a better car.....what I'm trying to say is if you can do it, do it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:20 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I Know it won't fit under the hood, lol.

I had a 390 in the 63 tbird I had, and it was a taller car, with a low oilpan.

It was a GenI, 427s are Gen2.

You should be able to make it fit; IDK why.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Unless you happen to have a 427 SOHC laying around with nothing else to put it in, then as you said, waste of time, money, effort, etc. FE motors are not cheap to buy. Once you buy one, they are not cheap to build, and then they are not cheap to make big power with, and there are limited options for transmissions that will bolt up. If you want to do it, go ahead, but for the same money you could make more power with a modular motor or a 351w based stroker.
Grog6 and Woodman like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I need to ask, why?

You know, I could almost get behind the lunacy of this idea until I read 'turbo setup'. That turned this from what was an off the beaten path build into pure fantasy. And as someone who personally has a deep admiration for the classics and simple old school tech, the whole notion of power adders on top of it completely defeats the inherent characteristics of having just the FE engine alone. You can do that crap to any engine of any size and family and get the same results, but without the drawbacks of the big FE(weight, fabrication to fit it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
MN12 is the chassis designation for the car....you mean you want to swap a 427 FE in place of the 4.6. I'll say it probably won't fit just because of the displacement (4.6 to 7.0) but I have no idea what the dimensions of these engines are. Yes, anything can be done, and I feel like if you have the money and time to do what you want to do, that's completely fine. Yes, you might be able to swap in a aluminum 4V, supercharge it and be modern and make more power than that old 427, but it's all about what you want it to be like. Numbers are just numbers, they don't necessarily translate into a better car.....what I'm trying to say is if you can do it, do it.
Internal dimensions =/= physical dimensions. Mod Motors are wider than FE and 385 series(429/460) engines, so they'll fit in the hole just fine other than aeformentioned hood height, which is the case with even most other 4.6s, 5.0s and 5.8s as well.
Kenz likes this.

-Matt
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
I need to ask, why?

You know, I could almost get behind the lunacy of this idea until I read 'turbo setup'. That turned this from what was an off the beaten path build into pure fantasy. And as someone who personally has a deep admiration for the classics and simple old school tech, the whole notion of power adders on top of it completely defeats the inherent characteristics of having just the FE engine alone. You can do that crap to any engine of any size and family and get the same results, but without the drawbacks of the big FE(weight, fabrication to fit it).

Internal dimensions =/= physical dimensions. Mod Motors are wider than FE and 385 series(429/460) engines, so they'll fit in the hole just fine other than aeformentioned hood height, which is the case with even most other 4.6s, 5.0s and 5.8s as well.
Yeah, that's why I also said that I don't know the dimensions of the engines right after I made my displacement comment...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:49 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

You will need a custom oil pan, custom headers, cowl hood and all the assorted wiring fixes, plus motor mounts.

460 swaps have been done, I had one.

The only real reason to do the 427 swap is if you have the engine already or you have a lot of extra money.
See the first sentence.

If you want to do a really awesome swap, go with a 351 Cleveland.
The best V8 engine on Earth.
Woodman and Kenz like this.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER

Last edited by r429460; 08-07-2017 at 07:55 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in