Has any one put this on their car? - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trunk Monkey

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Has any one put this on their car?

... A cold air intake and a 75mm throttle body and upper plenum? Has any one put those on their Cougars? I just wanted to ask that question I don't want to waste my money on some thing that is not worth the effort on spending the money on.

I have noticed a big difference on my Mustang with a 75mm throttle body and upper plenum on it before the work I have done to that thing. Just wanted to get input ...

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 11-02-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Fix typos & grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Kind of slapped together

That would depend on which motor, which upper plenum, and is it really truly a cold air intake (BIG hint - the factory intake is; most so-called CAIs aren't.)

As a hint - the "upper plenum" was on the 5.0HO; the 4.6 uses a one piece intake manifold. So if you've got a 1995, I doubt you'll find an "upper plenum" for it.

RwP

Fuelly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:06 AM
Banned

Imo its a great starter mod...always the 1st mods the do..its opens the top end up a lot and you don't need a tune either ...it will run correctly with no cel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
You've already had good results on your Mustang with the same mod. What makes you think that you wouldn't get the same results on a Cougar?

I think you've answered your own question.

+ What Ralph said. You'll want a PI Intake for that "upper plenum".

I recommend the 78mm BBK one-piece TB/Plenum.

Here's one link. You can shop around for other sources if you like. https://www.cjponyparts.com/bbk-thro...004/p/IMCL9-V/

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
The hole in the manifold itself is a bottleneck for any throttle body over 70mm anyway, gains for these have always been placebos, "big gains" is ridiculous unless you had a clogged air filter beforehand. The C&L/75mm combo I briefly had before I spun a rod bearing and parted the motor for the 4V swap was imperceivable to the stock 70mm SVO(F150) throttle body on the factory plenum... which was imperceivable to the stock 65mm... Throttle response changes some, there's more oomph with less pedal input, as you'd expect, but wide open throttle the performance is the same, the real restrictions are in the heads and the plastic manifold itself.

It looks damn good though, but buy used and buy cheap(under $100). For the near $300 these things retail for you can buy a damn PI engine from a junkyard these days.

If your cougar is a 95 and currently stock you need a 96+ or PI intake manifold and the various vacuum/fuel lines/misc items to use any of it.

-Matt

Last edited by XR7-4.6; 11-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:35 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
That would depend on which motor, which upper plenum, and is it really truly a cold air intake (BIG hint - the factory intake is; most so-called CAIs aren't.)

As a hint - the "upper plenum" was on the 5.0HO; the 4.6 uses a one piece intake manifold. So if you've got a 1995, I doubt you'll find an "upper plenum" for it.

RwP
The C&L enlarged throttle body plenum is the "upper plenum" on our cars, the 75mm Throttle body bolts to it, and you can also get a throttle body spacer. My car had a throttle body spacer on it when I got it (1/2") and my new motor has an accufab 75mm throttle body, the C&L enlarged upper intake, MHS Stage 2 NA/PI cams, MHS street ported heads, kooks large tube headers, cams are degreed with Trick flow adjustable gears, and I'm expecting some good power out of it.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
The C&L enlarged throttle body plenum is the "upper plenum" on our cars,
No, it's not.

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a tail; it just makes you sound silly.

From the factory, the 95 4.6 has an intake manifold, period.

The 5.0HO has two plenum chambers, a lower plenum (the lower intake) and an upper plenum (that log thing that hangs over the driver's side valve cover).

RwP

Fuelly
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 11:01 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
You mean calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg?
RalphP likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
No, it's not.

Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a tail; it just makes you sound silly.

From the factory, the 95 4.6 has an intake manifold, period.

The 5.0HO has two plenum chambers, a lower plenum (the lower intake) and an upper plenum (that log thing that hangs over the driver's side valve cover).

RwP
It's one of those things like struts, people misuse it and marketing departments pander to the misinformed public.... like selling an ELBOW for $300.

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in