97 tbird coolant crossover? - TCCoA Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Iceman8.6
  • 1 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

97 tbird coolant crossover?

Hi all. Question about the 97 tbirds. The radiator fluid has been getting low a lot faster than it used to so I've been thinking I will need to do the NPI to PI swap soon. Was looking at it today for the leaks and found it leaking around the end of the crossover.

What I noticed and what I don't get is that it already has a aluminum coolant crossover on it? Did the 97 tbirds come that way from the factory? Or was it most likely done due to a recall or TSB?

Can I just pull off the crossover, install new gaskets on both ends then reinstall?

Not interested in doing the NPI to PI for for 15 hp. Its a go to work, get the groceries car and has plenty of power for those duties.

I bought the car in 2009 for $3200 with 95,000 miles. It has 205,000 miles on it now and starts right up and runs great with the original motor, tranny and rear end.. Some times I think the motor is going outlast the rest of the car..IMO Ford made a good one when they designed and made the 4.6l.
CDsDontBurn and Tbird Bob like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
If it's leaking at the crossover seal; I've never seen those seals for sale, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.
You likely need an intake.

If the intake gasket is leaking, which is more likely, you need a new gasket.

I wouldn't buy a NPI intake if I needed a new intake.

Pull it apart, and see if it's the intake or the gasket under it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
PI intakes are cheaper and easier to find than aluminum crossover NPIs these days, that's not exactly a wild choice for a DD. The issue you're having, if it's leaking between the crossover, is likely the plastic part of the intake holding in the gaskets is cracked and failing, and like grog said there's no source for new ones even if they were the sole issue. A bead of RTV will probably suffice though.

Avoid parts store aftermarket intakes like the plague though, the quality is subpar and the plastics don't hold up as well as OEM

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman8.6 View Post
.IMO Ford made a good one when they designed and made the 4.6l.
Agree 100%.

But not on the plastic intake decision. We can blame that on the auto industry as a whole, since most switched to plastic around that time. Cost savings and weight savings, but the consumer pays for it eventually.

If you're not car savvy, it can go undetected for a while and you end up with a major problem and costly repair. Especially if the car overheats.

Al
CDsDontBurn likes this.

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:50 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
I have an oem pi intake forsale that I swapped to my car that’s all ready to go if your interested. Even have powder coated plenum and a 70mm tb for it! Let me know!

Project still in progress
Explorer engine, vortech v2,intercooled,bullit intake,derale power steering cooler, b&m trans cooler, oil filter relocation, cobra aluminum radiator, Walbro 255 Pump, Intrax 2in lowering springs, KYB front/back,,mark8 Driveshaft, 1.25Rear sway bar, 3:73 aluminum diff, TrackLok, Rear Diff Cover Brace, Sc Wheels 235/60s, Jmodd, Air Bags in Springs,Rear strut Bar,17in Mirror Blk CobraRs, Sc L Brackets, rear torsional load brace, kmember-frame brace, weightloss program, pbr dual pistons drilled/slotted, stainless lines , recaro seats, sct x4 DonL tuned
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
If it's leaking at the crossover seal; I've never seen those seals for sale, but it doesn't mean they don't exist.
You likely need an intake.

If the intake gasket is leaking, which is more likely, you need a new gasket.

I wouldn't buy a NPI intake if I needed a new intake.

Pull it apart, and see if it's the intake or the gasket under it.
Found a video where a guy had one off and he said it has orings between the crossover and IM.

I'm going to have to take the IM off anyway because the crossover is held on by 3 screws on each side on the botom of the manifold and I don't think I can access them all with the IM still on.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHaggard View Post
I have an oem pi intake forsale that I swapped to my car that’s all ready to go if your interested. Even have powder coated plenum and a 70mm tb for it! Let me know!
Thanks, but I think I'm going to see if I can fix what I have for now. If I can't will send a pm.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Took a few pics..

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 05:07 PM

Garage
Based on your pic's I believe you have the same aftermarket intake I have on my '97 Cougar: Dorman #615-178. The giveaway is the two ears of the black bracket above your alternator. I cut those ears off when doing my install.

The Dorman product does have the 'O' ring style flexible rubber gaskets in the intake. When installing my intake I added RTV around those gaskets (someone on line recommended this) and haven't had a leak yet. I did the job about 45,000 miles (3 years) ago.

The Dorman product has larger runners than the stock engine. I noticed an improvement in HP using my seat-of-the-pants dyno.

If you redo the intake you will notice the shape of your openings on the intake are not very well matched to the heads.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
3rd Gear Poster

The Dorman webpage says something about integrated gaskets and "Designed Specifically to Work w/Dorman OE Solutions Intake Manifold Gaskets Only". https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-30036-615-178.aspx
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 01:49 PM

Garage
The dorman intake loses a lot over stock.

I'd still go PI.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 04:57 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Just curious if you ever actually saw where the leak was from. I have seen a lot of the earlier 4.6 leak at the heater pipe under the intake.
keep us posted.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy4nos View Post
Just curious if you ever actually saw where the leak was from. I have seen a lot of the earlier 4.6 leak at the heater pipe under the intake.
keep us posted.
This is true; I forgot the OG intake has a short piece of tubing, maybe 2" long in the valley.

Eliminating that is one of the advantages of the PI swap.

And avoiding the corrosion marks on the heads, where the original gaskets were.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 V8 Swap View Post
The Dorman webpage says something about integrated gaskets and "Designed Specifically to Work w/Dorman OE Solutions Intake Manifold Gaskets Only". https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-30036-615-178.aspx

The Dorman website seems to have conflicting information:

This quote is from the instructions:
"This updated manifold does not require additional intake gaskets. The intake gaskets are already
installed into the manifold."

https://static.dormanproducts.com/do...615-178_IS.PDF

All I can say is the Dorman one I installed (part number 615-178) with that part number had the integrated gaskets in the intake. I think they had a running change to integrate the gaskets.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I have a Dorman intake with an AL cross over if you want it. Ill have to double check itll be worth it for you to use but it served me well for the 2500 miles I put on it. If its good then $20, you pay shipping, and its yours.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in