My car died today please help!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

My car died today please help!!!

Went to the local 711 and when I came out the car would not start. Quick diagnostic between spark, air, and fuel led me to believe that there was no fuel delivery occurring. I wanted to know if there is any other things to check fuel related besides the fuse and filter as they are both good. I just changed the fuel filter maybe a month ago so thatís new and at the same time I ran Lucas injector cleaner. I know thereís the fuel pump shutdown switch in the trunk I pressed the red button but it did nothing(maybe this is bad, Idk. Any help would be appreciated, the car isnít home yet as I am strapped for cash until payday so Iím trying to borrow a tow dolly from a family friend to get it home tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Check the inertial fuel switch in the trunk; someone bumped you car, probably.

Left side, behind carpet.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, ďMost Outrageous DiversionĒ by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Sea foam is the only cleaner that I would use.

How many miles are on the car? Which model is it? Which engine do you have? 3.8 or 4.6 or 5.0?

A bad idol air controller (IAC) could cause starting issues. You could always try replacing the inertia switch and see if that helps; other than battery I'd guess fuel pump. If you believe it's fuel then I'd go with the pump as a last resort, as the pump is in the fuel tank.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusionģ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 11:31 PM

Garage
The red button works like an EFI outlet if the button wasn't triggered I mean if you pressed on it and it didn't click back in then it was not the issue although you're getting some spark it could be in the distributor itself
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 07:34 AM
6th Gear Poster

Garage
are you hearing the fuel pump cycle when you turn the key to on, no start?

God created Arakis to train the faithful... One cannot go against the word of God.........
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 AM
PostWhore

You might look at the crankshaft position sensor. Especially if next time it starts right up. They are very intermittent when they go bad.

Then again, our old Cougar's fuel pump went bad in exactly the manner you described. Have someone turn the key on while you listen under the right rear tire. They are pretty hard to hear sometimes.

If the fuel pump and engine fan run continuously with the key on, that's a bad PCM.

A little more info would be helpful, like year, and engine. Put it in your info so it displays under your name. Location too.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks all for the responses so I have a 97 bird with 4.6 sohc. So today I had the time to run all troubleshooting on the vehicle I checked the relay and it was clicking on as it should, then proceeded to check the shutdown switch and it was not engaged so I popped it and reset and it didnít start the vehicle. I then used a jumper wire on the wiring harness to eliminate the shutdown switch and it didnít start still. As a final attempt at bringing my bird back to life I proceeded to hit the fuel tank with a rubber mallet while the ignition accessory was on to try to get the fuel pump to engage. Sure enough after a little bit of banging then a quick turn of the key she fired up like nothing was wrong. In conclusion sheís backed up on Ramps as we speak since I was able to drive her home and it appears to be that I will be doing a fuel pump job on this car which should be fun. Any advice on changing that pump would be appreciated, although I have stumbled upon some helpful information on this site already. Thanks again guys Iíll be sure to update when the new pump goes in.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I went through this one time and it ended up being my connector pins were loose, got a new pigtail for the fuel pump and havent had any issues since

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Garage
Here was a thread that had some good info about changing the pump:

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...p-replace.html
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
I went through this one time and it ended up being my connector pins were loose, got a new pigtail for the fuel pump and havent had any issues since
Are you talking about the pins on top of the fuel pump, meaning I would have to drop the tank still to diagnose this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJP View Post
Here was a thread that had some good info about changing the pump:

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...p-replace.html
Good read, Iíll be mindful of that float during installion. Canít have the gauge not working properly.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird0718 View Post
Are you talking about the pins on top of the fuel pump, meaning I would have to drop the tank still to diagnose this.
If you do, I'd go ahead and either replace the entire assembly, or just replace the pump and strainer (with a Walbro 255 or bigger pump, and a new strainer).

Don't forget to replace the inline filter on the driver's side under the floor pan, bolted to the front subframe box rail, about under the driver's seat (but outside, not inside!)

RwP

Fuelly
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Quote:
I mean the connector. The one that clips onto the fuel pump. Youre gonna have to drop the tank if you cant reach it and even then itll be difficult to disconnect. Dropping the tank it easy, hold it with a jack, loosen the 4 mounting bolts, disconnect the crossover line above the drive shaft, pop off the filler neck hoses, and lower the jack. Should be like 20 minutes.

First: Stacie, 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Second: Ellie, 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Third: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500, thirsty daily.

Fourth: 1990 Tbird SC, GT40 5.0 mated to m5r2, BBK long tubes, motor out the hood, drift car.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I replaced the inline fuel filter already about a month ago. I appreciate the suggestion on the upgrade pump but Iím limited on time and funds right before the holiday and Iím stuck grabbing whatís available locally to replace the assembly with. Iím replacing the entire assembly and strainer atleast. I only have tomorrow to get this done.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote Jr. View Post
Quote:
I mean the connector. The one that clips onto the fuel pump. Youre gonna have to drop the tank if you cant reach it and even then itll be difficult to disconnect. Dropping the tank it easy, hold it with a jack, loosen the 4 mounting bolts, disconnect the crossover line above the drive shaft, pop off the filler neck hoses, and lower the jack. Should be like 20 minutes.
Yea it doesnít seem to be that much effort to get this thing done Iíve done trans swaps and other WAY more difficult jobs than this I just hate timing of car failures lol always at the perfect timing. Anyway Iím going to check the plug connector when I go in there, will it be noticeably loose if thatís the issue.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Dropped the tank out today and swapped the fuel pump, also checked the connector like suggested and it was very snug and secure. The car seems to be running better and more responsive so Iím guessing the pump has been on itís way out. This is my first MN12 so I have nothing to compare it too. Thanks for the help guys
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 07:36 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Dropped the tank out today and swapped the fuel pump, also checked the connector like suggested and it was very snug and secure. The car seems to be running better and more responsive so Iím guessing the pump has been on itís way out. This is my first MN12 so I have nothing to compare it too. Thanks for the help guys
Just a note - that "doesn't start, then does" symptom isn't just MN12's - I learned that well on my 2000 Malibu I used to own.

I also did about seven pumps on it before the last one, a ACDelco OEM pump, that was at 45,000 miles when ... the surge tank blew and that aluminum motor decided a wavey swedge was more appropriate than a 60* V

(I do cry; with good struts front and rear, with the Grand Am solid rear tranverse link, and with Alero disk brakes in the back, it rode good, it braked good, and it accelerated good enough I could get myself into trouble if I wanted to. And it got 25MPH while doing that ... le sigh.)

RwP

Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in