Oil Lite Intermittant - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Oil Lite Intermittant

I recently took possession of a 2001 Towncar due to a death in the family. It had been maintained by an independant shop in Navarre Florida and garaged it's entire 67,000 mile life. Over the last 8 years, it had been driven very little by the owner. She drove only her Ford mini pickup. Her neighbor made sure that it got started at least once a week and the only issue I noted when I drove it around the neighborhood was a sticking front brake caliper. I drove it slowly the few miles to the service shop and nothing was found to be wrong. We drove it the 600 mile trip to its new home without incident.
So here is my problem now. I decided to replace the fuel filter, oil filter and oil using Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30. Several days after taking a 2,000 mile trip, I started the car and noticed the oil pressure lite stayed on. I stopped the engine, waited several minutes and discover about a quart low. Topped off with same oil. Every time I start the engine, the lite comes on intermittently for about 10 minutes. After warming up and driving, this behavior stops. No unusual sounds are heard during this time. How can I check the oil sender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Kind of slapped together

Replace it.

Also, if possible, put on a "T" and add a real oil pressure gauge, so you can see what the pressure is.

RwP
MaddMartigan likes this.

Fuelly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Hey ReP, What kind of tubing would I need to connect a tee to a gauge inside? And can I use the type of gauge that I use on my water well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
See if it has a Fram filter on it; if so, that's your problem, most likely.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Hey ReP, What kind of tubing would I need to connect a tee to a gauge inside? And can I use the type of gauge that I use on my water well?
Oil pressure gauge hose; they sell vinyl hose just for that.

And - I don't know, but I doubt it; most water wells aren't handling up to 80psi of 220F+ oil.

RwP

Fuelly
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

I'm guessing bad oil filter with a messed up bypass valve or something.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo View Post
I'm guessing bad oil filter with a messed up bypass valve or something.
Or improperly tightened oil filter. I'm very thorough about things like that myself, but one time I missed it and had a similar issue on my 97 4runner. Was a very mild leak, but persistent.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Yes, it is a Fram PH2 filter. Been using them on all my gassers for 40+ years. And only hand tighten but always requires a tool to remove. I do not use Fram on my Cummins diesel - only Fleetguard.

So what suggestion for the best gasser filter on this old Towncar? FL820S Motorcraft, CF110 Hastings, 3410 or 72227WS Bosch, M1210 Mobil??

Also, should I not be using the 5w30 synthetic Pennzoil Platinum?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 10:45 AM

Garage
Fram filters are known garbage; put a motorcraft filter on it and that will stop.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 04:24 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Yes, it is a Fram PH2 filter. Been using them on all my gassers for 40+ years. And only hand tighten but always requires a tool to remove. I do not use Fram on my Cummins diesel - only Fleetguard.

So what suggestion for the best gasser filter on this old Towncar? FL820S Motorcraft, CF110 Hastings, 3410 or 72227WS Bosch, M1210 Mobil??

Also, should I not be using the 5w30 synthetic Pennzoil Platinum?
The oil is excellent. Keep putting that. I use it too occasionally when it's on offer. I use the cheapest big-brand full synthetic that's available at the time of oil change.

FL820S is the best option if you don't want any problems. I've used ToughGard silver FRAMs and they're good filters but the regular orange cans are the crappiest filters you can put on a car, they're better suited for a lawnmower.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
FL820S is the best option if you don't want any problems. I've used ToughGard silver FRAMs and they're good filters but the regular orange cans are the crappiest filters you can put on a car, they're better suited for a lawnmower.
There is a sticky on the subject:

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...l-filters.html

Note the cardboard endcap in the fram filter...

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2017, 02:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Quote:
There is a sticky on the subject:

http://forums.tccoa.com/6-general-te...l-filters.html

Note the cardboard endcap in the fram filter...

True. Only the Ultra series has metal end caps. It might make a difference and it might not. I care more about the filter media and the silicone ADV. The ToughGard filters is all I used on my 195k mile Honda and it always looked great when I took the valve cover off for the lash adjustment, not a spec of sludge but that's probably attributed to my full synthetic oil changes and 7500 mile intervals.

Oil and filters are a crazy argument. Everyone has something to say.... including me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in