Double checking PI intake before buying - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Double checking PI intake before buying

Just double checking before buying, a used 03-05 Crown Vic intake manifold is considered PI and would be suitable swap for 96 with non-PI intake correct? Also, if the 03-05 intake is not tapped in the aluminum crossover in necessary spots then swapping the crossover with my existing non-PI intake crossover is suitable solution correct?

Sorry adding on to the other million PI intake questions Once I get answer(s) maybe moderators can delete this.

It runs 100% of the time 80% of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:49 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch View Post
Just double checking before buying, a used 03-05 Crown Vic intake manifold is considered PI and would be suitable swap for 96 with non-PI intake correct?
Yes, that's correct.

Quote:
Also, if the 03-05 intake is not tapped in the aluminum crossover in necessary spots then swapping the crossover with my existing non-PI intake crossover is suitable solution correct?
No, the way to go is to drill the other boss out, and tap it to size.

I don't think it will go back if you remove the crossover, and I don't think they're exactly the same.

Maybe someone can verify, but I drilled it.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I took the crossover from an explorer and swapped it onto my CV intake, mainly for cost. The drill and taps came out to $30 while buying a crossover from a JY was $18. The issue will just be finding one at a you-pull-it. But CV intakes and valley coolant tubes are great for our application because they essentially use the same heater core hose locations. There are gaskets inbetween the aluminum and the plastic but I used High Heat gasket maker to help keep it sealed.

Stacy: 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Ellie: 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I found one on eBay from salvage yard in good shape but doesn't look like it comes with bolts or tube(s). Can I reuse the bolts from my existing intake? Also, is the valley coolant tube something I can pick up from parts store without having to head to local salvage yard (I assume so)?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 03:14 PM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
Yeah, you can re use the bolts. Dorman has one.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stacy: 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Ellie: 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Read the pi swap thread; to swap the tube that clears the pi intake, you have to take the water pump out.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Just double checking before buying, a used 03-05 Crown Vic intake manifold is considered PI and would be suitable swap for 96 with non-PI intake correct? Also, if the 03-05 intake is not tapped in the aluminum crossover in necessary spots then swapping the crossover with my existing non-PI intake crossover is suitable solution correct?

Sorry adding on to the other million PI intake questions Once I get answer(s) maybe moderators can delete this.

https://youtu.be/Q3aTGbuCMQg
Here is a fairly good detailed video On a tbird for pi intake swap .
You can literally set your IPAD On the cowl and pause and play as you do exactly what's in the video
If you already have the better replaced aluminum crossover for the stock 4.6 precisely
20 min 50sec into the video will explain this you ...can use that crossover and not have to deal with tapping or any issue I'm almost positive shows every other little issue or fix/ tricks to do this swap. Just my 2 cents from a noob here

Last edited by 1991 5.0; 03-16-2018 at 09:07 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 5.0 View Post
https://youtu.be/Q3aTGbuCMQg
Here is a fairly good detailed video On a tbird for pi intake swap .
You can literally set your IPAD On the cowl and pause and play as you do exactly what's in the video
If you already have the better replaced aluminum crossover for the stock 4.6 precisely
20 min 50sec into the video will explain this you ...can use that crossover and not have to deal with tapping or any issue I'm almost positive shows every other little issue or fix/ tricks to do this swap. Just my 2 cents from a noob here

Ya, that's the same video I watched today that made me confident enough I can pull this off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in