AC Compressor - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RalphP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

AC Compressor

My air in the car I noticed quit cooling, I noticed too that the clutch kept kicking in and out. Figured it was low on freon. Anyway I bought some AC PRO freon and noticed I wasnt making any head way with that. I put only 7oz in it now the needle went in red zone on can. Clutch still in and out. Any ideas?

1995 Thunderbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 02:54 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
It'll do that overcharged, too.

You need a set of gages on it to tell; they're easy to overcharge just adding it in, I've done that.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
There are a couple things I can think of off the bat, but Grog is right - you really should get a set of gauges with both low and high side hookups to see what's going on.

"Red zone" on the can - what do you mean by that? Pressure too low or too high?

The clutch will engage when approx. 40 PSI or higher is measured by the cycling switch on the accumulator (by the firewall, where you were connected to charge). If it drops below ~20-25 PSI, it will disengage the compressor. As far as the clutch, it's normal for it to cycle like that, depending on temperature/humidity/AC settings.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Man I hate taking my bird anywhere, no gauges. On the can it fluctuates from low to green with clutch kicking in and out. With just can guage hooked up without can its in red. I dont see how its overcharged when I only put 7oz in it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

The clutch kicks in and out like every 3 seconds. Could it be something else besides freon?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
(Semantics only) Freon is R-12, your car uses R-134a.

In any case, if it's cycling rapidly it's either a clogged orifice tube and/or low charge. The only way to know is to see high side pressure simultaneously with low side pressure. If the orifice tube is clogged that usually means something more sinister is going on... (compressor dying)

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Ya know I have worked on vehicles alot in my life and never had to mess with AC. Where is the ori
fice tube? Thought I might add the rpms go up and down also.

Last edited by KANGEL; 06-24-2018 at 03:56 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:55 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANGEL View Post
Man I hate taking my bird anywhere, no gauges. On the can it fluctuates from low to green with clutch kicking in and out. With just can guage hooked up without can its in red. I dont see how its overcharged when I only put 7oz in it.
OFF pressure will be about 70psi or so; that's static for R134a.

ON at 70PSI is WWWWAAAYYYYY overcharged; OFF, it's perfectly normal.

That's why you use both gauges, and study up on what the numbers mean.

RwP

Fuelly
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:58 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
Ya know I have worked on vehicles alot in my life and never had to mess with AC. Where is the ori
fice tube?
The orifice tube is in the liquid line, right past where it connects to the condensor.

Liquid line looks like this picture:

That little crimp there on the metal part is the cold side of the orifice tube; the open end goes to the condensor.

BTW - Do NOT OPEN THE SYSTEM WITHOUT PROPER TOOLS!

If you're lucky, you'll just vent the R134a into the atmosphere.

If you're really unlucky, well, tell us first what kind of funeral you want after you freeze your lungs or suffocate (not impossible; rare, true, but NOT impossible!)

RwP

Fuelly
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:07 PM
5th Gear Poster

I think the lady at Autozone said the original capacity was 31oz for my 1992 LX. I ended up using three 12oz cans last week, first two with sealant and should have put one with die in first.

The compressor did not cycle after the first can and I got your red zone reading on the low side. I figured the compressor needs to cycle to get the coolant to the high side. My low budget choices were to add more or look for the AC delete pulley. Several Utube videos told the gauge should only be read when the compressor is working.

I drove the car for and hour to move sealant around. I'm ready for the one week road test now.

I'm no pro but I saw a bunch of AC tools available for borrowing at Autozone to do this right.

I found a small UV flashlight at ACE hardware that might work with the die. It was $10.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 PM
Kind of slapped together

Sealant.

Well, it was nice knowing your wallet.

Sealant has a bad habit of sealing up the condensor, the evaporator, and the orifice tube completely.

TWO cans?

Hate to say this, but you wasted the money there.

If it's a 1992, like your SIG says, you probably need new lines anyway (they're old, and possibly starting to seep R134a which is smaller than R12 ), a new accumulator, a new condensor, and a new evaporator to go with the new compressor.

*ponders*

I'm laying out about $350 to do my Dakota, but it's a bit pricier than the Cougar for all but the compressor.

And that's with a fairly new condensor and evaporator; the high pressure hose broke at a weld and dumped all the oil on me.

RwP

Fuelly
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Well a friend has some guages so I'll be testing the system, fire up some youtube videos. I'll report back when I get it solved or have more questions, thanks guys.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM
5th Gear Poster

Hi Ralph I paid to have everything but the compressor replaced three years ago. They gave a 1-year guarantee. I got a new crack in the dash for free too. The shop owner blew up my old lines with his machine while I was standing there bs'ing with him. Kinda scary and I thought he earned a knuckle sandwich and not my check. He broke some vacuum lines too and wasn't around when I picked up the car.

Anyway, the one week road test went ok. I'll be shopping for a seal kit and pricing compressors and will run the die through it if it all leaks out. I need to check if Autozone has a vacuum pump they loan out.

I didn't read the 134A cans too closely and did not see mention of oil coming with the 134A in the cans. I thought they did come with some oil but I haven't read or worried about AC in three years.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

well before I went an picked up gauges I thought I would mess some more. Hooked up the AC Pro can again guage moving back and forth from 20psi to 44psi with clutch fluctuating on compressor. Two things, it wasnt taking any liquid out of the can and highline had moisture all on the outside of it. Does this mean the orfice tube plugged up from not taking fluid?

Last edited by KANGEL; 06-26-2018 at 10:11 AM.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
well before I went an picked up gauges I thought I would mess some more. Hooked up the AC Pro can again guage moving back and forth from 20psi to 44psi with clutch fluctuating on compressor. Two things, it wasnt taking any liquid out of the can and highline had moisture all on the outside of it. Does this mean the orfice tube plugged up from not taking fluid?

Im thinking orifice is plugged up maybe because both lines are not cool to the touch plus fluid wont go in system. This something I should take car in or DIY job?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 PM
Kind of slapped together

I'd take the car in.

For the pressure fluctuation - of COURSE it's fluctuating! Compressor runs, low side drops below the switch point, compressor cuts off, pressure starts to built.

It goes with how a refrigerant-based air conditioner works!

And *ahem* You really shouldn't be introducing LIQUID into the system; it should be gaseous where our injection port is. Or ports are.

RwP
Tbird Bob likes this.

Fuelly
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

made appointment. Thanks for all replies guys.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:13 AM
Banned

A little off topic here but was it a hard job removing the compressor?
I'm bringing home another victim and the a.c. is not working in it and I want to swap over the parts from one car to the other..
ANY tips would be very much appreciated .
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:17 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94badbird View Post
A little off topic here but was it a hard job removing the compressor?
I'm bringing home another victim and the a.c. is not working in it and I want to swap over the parts from one car to the other..
ANY tips would be very much appreciated .
It's putsy to get the AC compressor out, but not bad. If your sway bars are stock, no biggie. If the engines are out, total piece of cake.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in