96' 4.6 performance issues codes 1443, 0420, 0430 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

96' 4.6 performance issues codes 1443, 0420, 0430

Hello men, completely new to this so here I go.

I've got a few specific issues that I'm looking for insight to. My 1996 4.6 with 218k is running great for the most part. It revs in neutral without any delay or hiccup. Holds stead at 800 rpm. basically purrs.

Now I have codes, 1443 I'll get to shortly and 0420, 0430, codes and believe it actually could be the air intake. The current non-PI air intake has the heater hose barb repaired with epoxy and hose clamp, no sign of exterior leak. However the #4 plug showed signs of coolant build up and the #4 injector had been replaced with a black injector.. not factory yellow like the rest. No 304 misfire code since tune up.

I've replaced all vac lines except for the hard plastic ones to the Evap system. I've not addressed the Evap system yet. Also no sign of exhaust leaks.

I've installed new Fuel filter, Air filter, Coil Paks, Wires, Plugs, PVC, EGR, AIC, cleaned MAF sensor, removed cleaned and replaced Throttle body, New water pump and Alternator, AC Clutch. I've not replaced the DFPE, it is original, I haven't tested it yet.

The Fuel pump was replaced in a jam, by a shop on the road. It got me going, however I discovered that if I top-off/overfill the tank and it would leak from somewhere I can't see. I have not removed the tank for inspection yet, and keep the gas fill ups just a little under max capacity. No smell of vapors outside or in cab unless I overfill.

So I've put the Evap 1443 issue on back burner until I get into a garage for a week this fall when I've got the time. However if this Evap issue is related to and effecting the other performance issues detailed later in this post, I'll get to it sooner.

I want to replace my Non PI intake on this 4.6 1996 Cougar and am considering the Ford Performance Racing PI intake. I've watched the Youtube by Bad shoe (42 minute) where he does so with a junk yard part on his 96 T-bird. Looked fairly straight forward and possibly improved power. What I couldn't tell is if it raised the Throttle body much and possibly hits the hood?

I purchased the Dorman non PI part and it just looked like it was low quality. Particularly when I saw a video about the area near the water port which is molded without continuing around the gasket. I watched the fix with epoxy in the void sealing in the bolt to the crossover, not confident that was good enough so I returned the part.

I have an issue of minor power loss/ bogging down when I first start to accelerate from a dead stop, lasts only for a brief moment like maybe a second. The rpms drop to 600 when I shift from neutral into drive, but I don't experience anything performance related once moving, it is just when getting moving from a dead stop. Having replaced almost all maintenance parts recently and having burned many lucas injector cleaners and a few seafoam treatments over the last 4k miles I don't suspect injectors.

My questions are;

1. Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Racing intake will be taller and thus reduce clearance and cause the throttle body to touch the underside of the hood?

2. Will the PI upgrade require any reprogramming or other tweaking to the computer?

3. Does this PI upgrade have any drawbacks beside the extra costs and heater hose extension?

4. Any ideas about the minor power loss/ bogging down when I begin to accelerate from a dead stop? I have new injectors waiting be installed when I do the air intake manifold, but i didn't think it is fuel related from injector malfunction or blockage.

5. Has anyone had the fuel tank leakage issues after dropping the tank for replacement of the fuel pump?

Any help here will be greatly appreciate. I'm committed to getting this Cougar into fine running shape.

Thanks, Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Man you're all over the place with this post. Had a hard time following but for codes p0420 & p0430 it seems like you are not on the right track. An air leak in the intake should not trigger those codes. It would trigger a lean code from the front O2's first. It's good that you did all that though because you need to be sure all the basics like plugs & wires, etc. are good before diagnosing. From what I can find those 2 codes are for catalyst efficiency too low for both banks which would be triggered by the rear O2's. Have you considered the possibility that the cats are actually bad? Especially if you are getting coolant into the cylinders. Ethylene glycol will destroy a converter in short order. It will also damage O2 sensors as well so those may also be bad. Only way to know for sure is to first make sure all your O2's are good (front & rear) then compare the front & rear O2 signals on a scan tool with real time data capability or datalogging. The fronts should be a sine wave and the rears should be relatively flat. If they look almost identical (in other words the rears are a sine wave too) then your cats are shot. That being said I would not bother doing anything with either the O2's or cats until you fix the coolant leak into the intake.

94 Cougar XR7 - 00 Mustang 4.6, JBA headers, Marauder converter, MN12 Perf exhaust, Jmod
05 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - SRT8 exhaust manifolds, CC 268 cam, milled heads, custom tune, SLP cat back
72 Chevelle - EFI 396, T56 Magnum 6spd, 100 shot N2O
56 Plymouth Belvedere - twin turbo 354 hemi project, 4L80e trans
79 Pontiac Lemans Wagon - 3.8 turbo project (calling it a poor mans GN)

Last edited by JoeB; 09-17-2018 at 05:00 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear Poster

As for the fuel tank it sounds like either the seal for the fuel pump assembly is not sealing or it could also simply be the vent hose that goes over the drive shaft between the two sides of the tank.

It is also possible that the fuel leak is related to your p1443 since it means that your fuel system is not completely sealed like it is supposed to be.

94 Cougar XR7 - 00 Mustang 4.6, JBA headers, Marauder converter, MN12 Perf exhaust, Jmod
05 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - SRT8 exhaust manifolds, CC 268 cam, milled heads, custom tune, SLP cat back
72 Chevelle - EFI 396, T56 Magnum 6spd, 100 shot N2O
56 Plymouth Belvedere - twin turbo 354 hemi project, 4L80e trans
79 Pontiac Lemans Wagon - 3.8 turbo project (calling it a poor mans GN)

Last edited by JoeB; 09-17-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:46 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris96Cougar View Post
1. Does anyone know if the Ford Performance Racing intake will be taller and thus reduce clearance and cause the throttle body to touch the underside of the hood?
No, the pi intake is the same height. Dorman is trash.

Quote:
2. Will the PI upgrade require any reprogramming or other tweaking to the computer?
No, but it will work better.

Quote:
3. Does this PI upgrade have any drawbacks beside the extra costs and heater hose extension?
Gas mileage will drop.

Quote:
4. Any ideas about the minor power loss/ bogging down when I begin to accelerate from a dead stop? I have new injectors waiting be installed when I do the air intake manifold, but i didn't think it is fuel related from injector malfunction or blockage.
Any pending codes cause performance degradation, because it's having to make up for something not being right.

Quote:
5. Has anyone had the fuel tank leakage issues after dropping the tank for replacement of the fuel pump?
The fuel pump hat is at an angle, and the gasket is bad. It will need to be replaced.

They reused the 20 year old one.

In your situation, I would:

Replace the front O2 sensors with OEM NTK sensors.

Fix All of the vacuum leaks. There are eight pieces of tubing in the evap line. All are bad now.

When you do the intake, Carefully remove the EGR line from the TB, and Clean out all the egr passages in the TB.

Clean around the TB blade, including the back side. Gunk builds up there, and affects throttle response.

Buy a JY intake; as long as the mounting flange is still flat, it's all good.

While you're stealing the intake, steal the PI cams as well; those in NPI heads are a nice boost, degreed properly.

A Crown Vic or Gran Marquis intake is easiest to use, imho.

Do all the upgrades you want to do, Get Rid of all codes, and get it performing well before you Even think about a tune.

You can't fix engine problems with a tune; it will make it even more sensitive to Any problems that occur.

I accidentally tuned around a bad fuel pump, and was really rich on top end, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Great feedback.

I'll take the suggestions and get back to you.

FYI, my local Ford dealership parts man had the same advice regarding the fuel pump gasket and lock ring so I already have them.

I'm assuming JY = Junk Yard..The PI intake and PI cam would come out of what year Vic or Marquis 99-01?

I'll need the new PI gaskets and do the gasket silicon dab near the water port. Any suggestions on the brand I should buy?

My bad on the use of "tune up", didn't mean a computer tune, just old school maintenance tune up.

And so it continues...have a good week, and thank you. Chris
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
From what I understand, we can use the engine from up to 09. Maybe later, idk.

Mustangs went 3v somewhere before that, so that doesn't work.

You take everything off the outside, and swap your stuff on. Not too bad.

Transmissions can be used to 02, with rewiring.

A blown engine may have good cams. And if they'll sell you an intake, the engine is blown, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Grog6,

I appreciate your time here. Haven't had a chance to go after the other suggestions yet and last week work got in the way again.

Was odd that things seemed to go ok after the cold snap. And although the MIL is still off (maybe bulb burned out) the codes are now back.

Hoping to get on the car by the end of next week and will post update on progress as it happens.

This is my car https://forums.tccoa.com/attachment....1&d=1543547626

This is me trolling 51" 50lbs Striper I'm on the left.
kindhttps://forums.tccoa.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33329&stc=1&d=1543548217
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181129_182039450.jpg (3.40 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG9572721.jpg (141.0 KB, 3 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:08 AM
PostWhore

The Dorman is fine for a driver, ie: not looking to make a ton of HP. I installed one on our old 96 Cougar, and the PO installed one on my current 97 T-Bird. Excellent low-end throttle response.

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 09:45 AM
5th Gear Poster

Garage
I had a dorman NPI intake on my car for a while, worked fine. For my PI swap I used a Crown vic intake, valley tube, and explorer crossover. Lines up in the correct locations for the heater core and has the dual sensor crossover.

Stacy: 1996 Tbird LX, mild build NPI engine, PI cams and intake, Long tube headers, Jmod.

Ellie: 1989 Tbird SC, r̶e̶s̶t̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶d̶a̶i̶l̶y̶. off the deep end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in