'95 Tbird heater core inlet vs. outlet - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

'95 Tbird heater core inlet vs. outlet

Have done the 4v cooling mod using MMR's product that connects both cylinder heads (driver side cylinder freeze plug must be removed).
I have searched the forum to find out which heater core side is inlet and which is return. The mod of course goes to the supply side of the heater.
I did find one post that said left side is return. But it seemed ambiguous as I couldn't figure out if it was his left as he was looking at the front of the engine bay or left from the car's perspective.
My question is- if I am sitting in the car, facing forward, ('95 Thunderbird 4.6L) is the outboard most heater core tube inlet or return?
Thanks for your help as without it, I would not have even attempted to do this engine swap. Almost there-- engine goes in next week.

'95 LX 4.6L/ '99 mustang front calipers/ '96 t-bird rear calipers/Baumann transmission/BOC chip by Lonnie/ 225.55.16 Yokohama's on Borbet 5 spoke/poly IRS/ Eibach 1.5" drop/ Lincoln pumpkin with 3.55 trac-loc/ Lincoln rear upper and lower control arms/ rebuilding '94 Mark Vlll eng. for swap/ -Edit- Engine rebuild now finished by Panhandle Performance (2-16-07)/ swap on soon - but needing to get P.I. torque converter- MSD window switch for '98 IMRC'S- rebuild current Baumann Trans--etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
FWIW, it doesn’t matter, I flipped my hoses around with my Aviator motor swap for better access.

Stock driver side = inlet from manifold(or head for 4Vs)

Stock passenger side = outlet to valley bypass

-Matt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thank you Matt for the quick reply.
Also good to know that it doesn't matter- that's a damn good tip to know.
I really appreciate it.

'95 LX 4.6L/ '99 mustang front calipers/ '96 t-bird rear calipers/Baumann transmission/BOC chip by Lonnie/ 225.55.16 Yokohama's on Borbet 5 spoke/poly IRS/ Eibach 1.5" drop/ Lincoln pumpkin with 3.55 trac-loc/ Lincoln rear upper and lower control arms/ rebuilding '94 Mark Vlll eng. for swap/ -Edit- Engine rebuild now finished by Panhandle Performance (2-16-07)/ swap on soon - but needing to get P.I. torque converter- MSD window switch for '98 IMRC'S- rebuild current Baumann Trans--etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:15 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
sorry I haven't been on in a while but I scitch mine back and forth every year to keep it from plugging .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 AM

This may help my issue as well. Got a 96 4.6 and with a new radiator & hoses, water pump, thermostat, heater core and heater core hoses. I get practically zero heat while the car is in motion and it takes forever for it to warm up & defrost the windows. And even traveling at 70mph on the interstate for 45mins+ it never reaches 'Normal' operating temp. Always reading cold unless it's sitting still.

It blows cool air, even with the heat set to high (Manual temp. control) at least this post would give me a reference to see if I crossed the heater core hoses.

-- 1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC V8. 118k miles on body, 100k miles on engine. Bone stock... for now... --
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If the temperature gauge is never coming up to temp, then the heater core is not your problem. I would start with replacing the thermostat, since it may be stuck open, or missing entirely if it has done this since you first got the car.
Wickedshifts likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
If the temperature gauge is never coming up to temp, then the heater core is not your problem. I would start with replacing the thermostat, since it may be stuck open, or missing entirely if it has done this since you first got the car.
I bought the car for $400 with a cracked block. So I put in a new engine and replaced all the cooling components and it has done it since I got the car running back in May. I don't drive it much, still needs some front end works (balls joints are squealing a little) and shocks.

I'll pick up another thermostat on my way home after work today and see if I can narrow it down. At least it's a cheap & easy swap. Haven't thought much about it since its sitting in the garage. Seeing this post reminded me of it lol

-- 1996 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC V8. 118k miles on body, 100k miles on engine. Bone stock... for now... --
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Just double check to make sure the thermostat is facing the right way.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in