PI Upgrade for 4.6 1997 thunderbird - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By XR7-4.6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

PI Upgrade for 4.6 1997 thunderbird

So I believe I’m ready to take my car to a shop to begin work. I have the Pi intake, a Romero set of Pi heads and cams, and gaskets plus a spacer in case the alternator needs to be moved. But I’m looking for a detailed list of everything that needs to be done so the mechanic knows exactly what I want him to do. Any help you can offer in either finding one or creating one is highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:51 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997 Tbird View Post
So I believe Iím ready to take my car to a shop to begin work. I have the Pi intake, a Romero set of Pi heads and cams, and gaskets plus a spacer in case the alternator needs to be moved. But Iím looking for a detailed list of everything that needs to be done so the mechanic knows exactly what I want him to do. Any help you can offer in either finding one or creating one is highly appreciated.
I see you are new, with all of four posts, but please, please be sure to read the stickies in here. They have LOTS of the important info all ready to go for you. For example, one of the stickies in this particular area is right here... Merely four posts above yours.

https://forums.tccoa.com/7-engine-4-...76-1997-a.html

You don't need a spacer on the alternator. You need the intake, the heads, the cam covers, and a tune. If you don't have a tune, it won't run well.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:55 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You don’t need new valve covers if the heads are Romeo, just reuse the stock ones(get new gaskets/grommets though)
Woodman and CDsDontBurn like this.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM
PostWhore

If you aren't doing the work yourself I would highly advise against doing a PI swap unless your upper end needs to come off regardless.

If your going to pay to get the work done your much better off with trickflow heads otherwise the PI heads are not worth it IMO.

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Poster

For future reference when I go for this upgrade myself. To be honest tunes are completely foriegn to me. Where would I go and how much should I expect to pay for a tune?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtavares0701 View Post
For future reference when I go for this upgrade myself. To be honest tunes are completely foriegn to me. Where would I go and how much should I expect to pay for a tune?
Where do you live?

I'd guess the going rate is around $500. You'll also need to buy a SCT X-Cal, or whatever the latest name for the tuner is, to keep your tune on.

https://www.sctflash.com/products/tuners

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusionģ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 08:04 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Where do you live?

I'd guess the going rate is around $500. You'll also need to buy a SCT X-Cal, or whatever the latest name for the tuner is, to keep your tune on.

https://www.sctflash.com/products/tuners
Buy a used, unlocked one on ebay for ~$150 or so.

A N/A tune from Don Lasota is $100.

97 Thunderbird LX (The GT Bird)
2003 Explorer WAP block with Modular Head Shop "street ported" heads and Stage 2 PI NA cams, 75mm Accufab throttle body, C&L upper intake plenum, Kooks 1.75" primary/3" collector headers, 2.5" full exhaust with mid mount Magnaflow dual in/out muffler, 24lb/hr injectors, 80mm MAF, Tuning from Don @ www.lasotaracing.com, CAI that feeds from fenderwell. Jmod, 3.73:1 TL in Mark VIII carrier, Mark VIII aluminum LCAs, 93 Mark VIII driveshaft, PBR brakes (soon to be Cobras), 18x9 wheels with 35mm offset, 255/40/ZR18 Tires, Front and Rear strut/shock bracing, GR-2 shocks, Eibach 1.5" springs, 1989 SC front and rear sway bars.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Poster

I live in Massachusetts. Wow thats a lot cheaper then i expected. Is this sct tuner something you plug into the obd2 port and set up yourself?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in