'95 LX PI Swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

'95 LX PI Swap

I've searched through the forums here for awhile, and have learned quite a bit. I'm now at the point where I'm going to be doing a full pi swap on my 95 Tbird within the next couple of days. Sadly I can't find any of the threads here that fully detail the swap, and have some questions.

I've seen that the 5.4 heads out of the lariat f150 will work. Is there any difference in the performance/function of the heads vs. a set off of a 4.6?
Do I need to match the mileage of the motor the heads come from with that of my motor? (roughly 175k miles, odometer stopped working awhile ago, fixing it during the swap)
Also, does the timing cover have to come off of a 96-99 MN12 or will one from any pi 4.6 motor work?
I have the stuff for the pi intake swap from a 97 Tbird. The only things I didn't grab were the egr tube, and the cruise control servo/cable... and the timing cover... darn. I understand I can block off the egr with a metal plate, there's no emissions in my county so it's no issue there, but will it affect the car in any way not to have it on there? I know some motors are finnicky without it.
My final inquiry is about the tune needed.
I'm not against a flash tune/chip (whatever its called), but I can't find anything on what to get for my car, or what's been used before. All the info I've uncovered is related to the 96 and up Tbirds.

I can't think of any other questions, I've been researching this swap since the 3 months ago and have been collecting parts as they become available, this site has been a huge help throughout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 07:50 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerradN View Post
I've seen that the 5.4 heads out of the lariat f150 will work. Is there any difference in the performance/function of the heads vs. a set off of a 4.6?
No, same performance. Physically you need the F150's valve covers too since a 5.4 will be windsor pattern and not romeo like your stock heads.

Quote:
Do I need to match the mileage of the motor the heads come from with that of my motor? (roughly 175k miles, odometer stopped working awhile ago, fixing it during the swap)
No. Aim for lower mileage with less guide wear. I'd replace the valve seals regardless

Quote:
Also, does the timing cover have to come off of a 96-99 MN12 or will one from any pi 4.6 motor work?
With a headswap you just reuse your factory timing cover. The timing cover only (sometimes) needs to be swapped for complete engine swaps due to block bolt pattern differences, not heads.

Quote:
I have the stuff for the pi intake swap from a 97 Tbird. The only things I didn't grab were the egr tube, and the cruise control servo/cable... and the timing cover... darn. I understand I can block off the egr with a metal plate, there's no emissions in my county so it's no issue there, but will it affect the car in any way not to have it on there? I know some motors are finnicky without it.
The timing advances when EGR is commanded which can lead to pinging. this can be fixed in the tune

Quote:
My final inquiry is about the tune needed.
I'm not against a flash tune/chip (whatever its called), but I can't find anything on what to get for my car, or what's been used before. All the info I've uncovered is related to the 96 and up Tbirds.
SCT Xcal II III or IV and a mailorder tune from Don Lasota. You need it, PI heads don't want as much timing advance as your original heads

-Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in