My review on cut of mufflers - 96/97 4.6's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Post My review on cut of mufflers - 96/97 4.6's

I finally decided to go for it and hack the mufflers off of my 96 4.6L. After calling a few shops and got quoted 40 bux a side, I decided to do it my self. Went up to AAP and got some 18" 2 1/8 piping (2), clamps (2), and some 6 x 2 1/2 chrome tips (2). Came up to $24. Went to the garage and got the hack saw. Sawed for about 45 minutes (very tiring). Started the car up with both muffs cut off and reved a little bit, sounded pretty mean! Took it around the block and there was to much drone to even concentrate...lol. Started tinkering with the parts and after an hour went by, I finally had it complete. Looks okay except for the fact that from some angle you can see that they are just some screw on tips.

Started it up and was pretty happy with the sound so far, sounded like a beast and a V8 for once! It brought a smile to my face . Took it for a ride and that's when some of the disapointments started to occur. The biggest being the ricy sound the exhuast makes!! Yuk...! It only sounds ricy from like 1800 - 2800 rpms. Below 1800 it sounds nice and beasty and above 2800 you hear the engine pulling and intake with an nice exhaust tone. But that rpm range just so hppens to be used the most... so you get the point.

It seems to sound much better outside the car than inside, so I had my mom drive my car and I followed with her car. It sounds O.K., but still had that bit of riceyness. Not nearly as noticable as inside the car though. I then had her drive down the street while I listened from the porch. Didn't sound to bad once again. So all in all it is an okay mod if you can put up with that bit of riceyness. Me personally am annoyed by it and will soon proceed with a nice custom exhuast when I get some extra cash. Hopefully within the next month. I will probably just got with the Seabass setup.

You also get alot more stares and people ask what kind of exhuast you got and stuff, you just get to smile and say stock with a slight modifacation. Most of my friends think it sounds good except one, he said it sounded better before. I was just like HOW, there wasn't even sound before...lol. He said "exactly". I just said "your weird"...lol.

"I" noticed a slight increase at higher rpms and did not notice any torque loss. Seems to pull a tad more on the highway. I floored it on the on ramp that I take eveyday to work and where I was usually at about 70 I was at about 75 now.

So if you have been thinking about hacking your muffs lately, hope I helped your decision some!

Now I have a few questions:

- Do you think I will pass the E Check?

- If I put some larger diameter tips on (like 3in.), would it sound any better ? less riceyness?

Thanks for reading!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 11:14 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

The larger the tips, the more ricey it will sound. Emissions should not be a problem. you didn't touch anything before the cats or the cats, so your emissions should remain the same.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 07:38 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenBird
The larger the tips, the more ricey it will sound. Emissions should not be a problem. you didn't touch anything before the cats or the cats, so your emissions should remain the same.
I noticed the opposite on my tips. I started with 2.25" and it did sound rather ricey and high-pitched. Upped it to 3.25"x22" and it's a much deeper mellow sound now. It's still a tad rice-like sometimes, but it's a lot better than the smaller pipes. That's jusy my observation. Also, you'll get bad resonance if your tips don't extend past your bumper it'd seem.

Here's a short clip of my exhaust. I know I'm a 94, but I can't imagine it being too different.
http://members.tccoa.com/rowboat/joeexhaust3.mpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Veteran Poster

that mpg sounded awesome!! i wanna go hack the damn thing up right now. where did ya get the long tips?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
I noticed the same thing. The 3" tips made it sound deeper than my old 2.5" ones. If you want to get rid of a lot of the ricey sound, just install a race bullet muffler after the 3rd cat, and it makes it sound a lot better. It's still just as loud, but it sounds a lot better.

Powered by RNC Performance

Custom Powdercoating Available, PM me for details.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
So maybe I will grap some 3in diameter tips for now. I will definatly be getting an exhuast soon though. And by passing the E-Check, I am just worried it would be to loud....

You can get the long tips from Summit and a couple of places on the net. Kinda pricey though!

18 x 3 in. Stainless Tips

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 04:14 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Jealous?
What size muffler fits behind the 3rd cat? (pipe size and length that is)
Also, what muffler is gonna get rid of that droning???

Now I'm in Florida....
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 04:55 AM
PostWhore

I have 3.5x24" ss magnaflow tips... looks alil large but not hardly. I dont find it to sound a bit ricey at any rpm range... and i constantly go through it... the size and the length help with the sound. Only time i have alil drone is cruising between 60-65. I lost .3 of my 1/4 after removing the mufflers. If you want pics of the install... let me know ill put them up again.

"You Should See the Front!"

1995 Lazer Red Cougar
[email protected]
Custom Tru Duals, PI 4.6, JModded Tranny w/ TC.
Programmed by SCT Xcal2
Thanks to PalmGuy I have this beautiful masterpiece.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
I think it was 2 1/4 in/out, 14" long bullet. My other alternative was that Midas has 12" glasspacks in the back that they can expand to fit. I think they cost $25 and the bullet was $50. I didn't notice much of a difference in the sound between the 2 though. Try to find longer tips than 18" as well, Mine are 18, and you can see where they mate up with the pipe. I think 24" would be better, because you would only be able to see the stainless, like on a 'stang. IMO 3.5" tips look too big for the car, 3" looks like it should have come from the factory that way.

Powered by RNC Performance

Custom Powdercoating Available, PM me for details.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i have 2inch all throught rite after my resonator....it does sound ricey just like tony described...im friguring ill put somthing in place of the resonator like a muffler or somthing to make the car sound more agresive....3inch tips would make the tone deeper? kind of makes sense....the sound clip sounds so much better then my car so im thinkin of puting on the 3inch wide tips i have

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:11 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
So maybe I will grap some 3in diameter tips for now. I will definatly be getting an exhuast soon though. And by passing the E-Check, I am just worried it would be to loud....

You can get the long tips from Summit and a couple of places on the net. Kinda pricey though!

18 x 3 in. Stainless Tips
yea $40 a pop is pricey......got my 3"x22" chrome straight pipes (angle cut) for $22 a piece locally.....gonna try to get them on as soon as possible
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:04 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96TBird
hey if i put hi-flow cats on my 96 with an x-pipe and flowmasters at the rear do you think i should have any problem passing emmisions??

1996 4.6L T-Bird - Totaled 1-26-2004
1981 Jeep CJ7 - 8 inch of lift (2 1/2" shackle, 2 1/2" leaf springs, 3 inch body) on 32x11.50. Soon to be equipted with Dana 44" axles and 35x14.50 MT OH YEAAAAAAA
R.I.P.
10-9-03 ~ Mallory Brook Neeley ~ Susan Jane Boyes
10-14-03 ~ Lindsey Nicole Groff
Please Visit the Thunder Chicken Fan Page and the Memorial Link for my 3 friends who died an an automobile accident.
Thunder Chicken Fan Page
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
prolly not if u do the computer right.......cuase 96 on up they dont even put it on the machine they just hook it up to the comp

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to birdmandan Send a message via Yahoo to birdmandan
I have 20 inch long 3 inch diameter tips in place of my mufflers and I like it and decided to just leave it as it is now. I was going to replace the resanator with a flow master 40, but I like how it sounds now.

Modifications....

-air silencer removed
-3.25 pipe from filter to throttle body
-cone filter
-flowmaster muffler in for resonator
-3 inch exaust past muffler
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 04:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
has anyone ever tried just one flow 40 as oposed to two of them?

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 11:40 PM
5w30 Guzzler

Send a message via AIM to chilipepprflea
yes. i have one 40 series delta flowmaster in place of the resonator. all my cats are gutted and i have 2.5" pipes where the old mufflers used to be. i personally think it sounds pretty good, but maybe a little on the quiet side. but then again, im just some punk kid who thinks it's never too loud. i drove around for a while with my exhaust hacked off right behind the first two cats...and they were gutted. talk about loud. majorly badass. my friend who doesnt like ford and loves chevys thought it sounded so much better than our friend's corvette with a delta flowmaster catback. but obviously i wouldnt recommend this.
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 01:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i put 3 inch tips on and they do echo the sound a bit and make it a little diffrent but im goin to cut my resonator soon enought to find out how loud that is.....the exahsut now sounds bad that i have.....it has 2 inch pipe in place of the muflers with 3 inch tips that go about 18 inches

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
MN12 Fanatic

A little update on what I did!

Got sick of the ricey sound so I experimented....

I took off the 18 x 2 1/8th extensions and just put some chrome 2.5in turndowns right where I cut off the mufflers. They are kinda angled outward like this: / \ , right at the cuts. You cannot see them at all whenever you look at the rear end of the car. All the ricey sound is actually gone now! Of course there is a bit more drone, but I'd rather suffer from that then the ricey tone. The drone isn't all that bad actually with the turndowns on. Nothing the STOCK CD player can't cancel out!

I will still be getting a nice exhaust soon though.... nothing beats the sound of a 4.6 with a flowmaster! ....hehe

This is what I am going to print out and take tho the exhaust shop, It's seabass' setup with a little more detail in the drawing. Probably will have them use 2.5in piping. But it should sound good!

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
i just 3"straight pipe mod to my Cougar.....sounds much better than stock, and yea there is that tad bit of riceyness , but it's nothing that would seriously embarrass the car, so i can put up with it for a while

maybe i'll try that 40 Series 2-chamber Flow master after the 3rd cat to deepen the sound, as well

over all, a decent mod to get better-than stock sound
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

anyone know where is the cheapest that they have found that 40 series 2-chamber flowmaster for?

also should i get the one with 2-1/4" center inlet/outlet?
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Poster

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/flomstr1.htm

$65.99

-Olin

Drive it like you stole it.
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Poster

http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...oar_vtube.html

Full Boar - the healthy alternative.

-Olin

Drive it like you stole it.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 09:08 PM
4th Gear Poster

I got the 18x3 on my car. I think it sounds great. My only problem.....lowered car with 3 inch tips...not a good combo when it comes to some driveways and curbs. I just bent one of my tips up the other day.

Time for true dual now. That is what I am doing.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 02:08 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Stephen Heinze
I just had a mufflar shop install Flowmaster stainless steel delta-flow 40 series muflars on my 94 4.6 and it sounds kinda quiet... I'm a little disapointed but thats what I git for buying delta flowss. plus they are biger mufflars than my stock ones so it looks alittle goffy...I'll post a picture on here tommorow
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ccornett
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Heinze
I just had a mufflar shop install Flowmaster stainless steel delta-flow 40 series muflars on my 94 4.6 and it sounds kinda quiet... I'm a little disapointed but thats what I git for buying delta flowss. plus they are biger mufflars than my stock ones so it looks alittle goffy...I'll post a picture on here tommorow
Yeah, you need a 1-chamber flowmaster. A 2-Chamber flowmaster is better for Chevy Silverado's or Corvette's

2004 Saturn Ion II 2.2L
Sport Package -
- Power Package (Windows & Locks)
- Powered Sun Roof
- Rear Spoiler
- 6-disc CD/MP3 Changer
- Semi-Custom Cloth Bucket Seats
- 16" Alloy Wheels
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 01:05 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to HanMan
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
You also get alot more stares and people ask what kind of exhuast you got and stuff, you just get to smile and say stock with a slight modifacation.
HAHA, your supposed to say its "custom"

'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 03:19 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ccornett

Yeah, you need a 1-chamber flowmaster. A 2-Chamber flowmaster is better for Chevy Silverado's or Corvette's
got sound clips?........i know i'll be getting a flowmaster, but now i don't know which one.....i know that with my 3" straight tips, its not as loud as i wanted/thought it was gonna be...
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2003, 05:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Serio

Here's a short clip of my exhaust. I know I'm a 94, but I can't imagine it being too different.
I always thought it was bad to rev the engine while it was in park. Why do I think this? Exhaust sounds veddy veddy good by the way.

"No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper" - Isaiah 54:17
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Flying Thunder

Send a message via AIM to weswing04 Send a message via Yahoo to weswing04
Quote:
Originally posted by Serio
Its quite a bit different. mine is a LOT louder than yours. Im workin on getting a clip of it now..
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Flying Thunder

Send a message via AIM to weswing04 Send a message via Yahoo to weswing04
cut off mufflers, 3.5" x 18" tips. I think mine sounds pretty ricey. It sounds really good at 1300-1400rpm..but thats about it. And its really really loud.

clip

Im having it redone hopefully within a couple weeks....i like how loud mine is now..just need to be more controlled. should i keep cats?

Last edited by weswing04; 08-08-2003 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in