very strange noise - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

very strange noise

It's not easy to discribe but it sound like a sort of (low) electric motor. Only when i am driving slow but if i stop to find the location under the hood (it's comming from the motor compartment) it dissapears. This sound is now and then, not all the time. No warning lights and the powersteering works fine. It's not the fuelpump because i recognise the sound of a dying fuelpump and i replaced it for a few months ago. What can it be?
Thanks,

By the way, my car get's all the maintanance at time following the instructions by Ford.

clear corners, 1997 tail & corner lights, shaved trunk lid, removed fender emblems & door moldings, painted door handles, K&N conical-QSP air intake , deep tranny pan, drilled & slotted rotors, Derale tranny cooler, 19" Alba Bank and Air Ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 07:24 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Spray some WD-40 on the idler pulley bearing and see if the noise goes away (single serp pulley with one bolt). The bearings are prone to get noisy after a while.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Eh, i have to look in my manual to find out where i can find these parts (never heard of it before),
Thanks anyway.

clear corners, 1997 tail & corner lights, shaved trunk lid, removed fender emblems & door moldings, painted door handles, K&N conical-QSP air intake , deep tranny pan, drilled & slotted rotors, Derale tranny cooler, 19" Alba Bank and Air Ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Eh? Your never heard of a serpentine belt or idler pulley?

Look at the front of your motor and you will see a belt that runs off the crankshaft pulley, That is the serptitine belt. If you follow the path of the serp belt you will see that it goes through a tensioner and then rides on a single pulley before the Alt. Spray lube (WD-40 or whatever) on the bearing of the pulley to see if it stops the noise and if it does replace the pulley.

What part of this do you not understand?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

OK, now i understand and what to do. Do not forget, i am from overseas, i learned english at school but we never learn words/technical things like this you know.
I will try and let you know if things worked out!

Last edited by Dutch T-Bird; 07-02-2003 at 09:34 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

If the lube stops the noise replace the pulley? and eh....what exactly is a bearing?
Thanks for helping me!

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 10:13 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Quote:
Bearings reduce friction by providing smooth metal balls or rollers, and a smooth inner and outer metal surface for the balls to roll against. These balls or rollers "bear" the load, allowing the device to spin smoothly.
No problem. Click on this link... Bearings
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks, I'll try this weekend!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 11:05 AM

If its not all the time, but only occasionally, it may be the AC compressor pump turning on and off. Locate this and see if the sound comes from there.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Every time when i stop to locate it's gone, so i don't think it has to do with the AC pump. First i'll try the bearing.
Thanks

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
I would throw out all the tensioner pulleys and get new ones. They are dirt cheap here, just get new ones. You will know the bearing is trashed when you remove the tensioner pulley, and spin it and it sounds like gravel. The new one will spin smoothly and not make a noise.

While you are replacing the pulleys, its a good time to replace the serpentine belt.

Figure about 5 bucks for each pulley, and 19 bucks for the belt.

About a 20 minute job even if you have never turned a wrench before.

JH
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2003, 03:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Robert;

The tensioner pulley, and the idler pulley can be replaced, using the same new pulley for both positions. They have improved bearing seals.

You do not have to replace the tensioner arm, but just the pulley on the arm.

I can post a picuture if you need further clarification.

Steve - TCCoA member
2003 Crown Vic LX Sport
1995 T-Bird LX 4.6 retired at 247,888 miles
Thanks for the ride !
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Hey Steve,
I will be pleased if you would get me a picture of that. Is it really a simple job to do and is this better instead of spray some WD 40 on it?
If someone can let me know where i can buy the stuff to fix this problem!

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Angry

I still have no computer at home (after the burglary for two weeks ago) The insurance company will pay us in about 3 weeks. So, i can only check the forum from monday till friday at work.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 03:04 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Quote:
Is it really a simple job to do and is this better instead of spray some WD 40 on it?
The WD-40 trick is just to verify that the pulley bearing is the problem and IS NOT the fix for the problem. Replacing the pulley would be the fix for a bad pulley bearing be it the tensoiner pulley or the idler pulley. I have seen more idler pulleys fail/scream then the tensoiner pulleys so that is why I would try that one first. They will make the most noise when cold so the morning is a good time to check.

You will need a 1/2 inch ratchet to "pry" the tensioner arm so you can remove the belt. You can see the square hole on the Lightning style tensioner I have. After you remove the belt remove the single bolt for the idler pulley or the three 13mm bolts for the tensioner arm depending on witch is the culprit.
Mine might look different but it's basicly the same as your setup and as a matter of fact I still retain the stock '94 serptine belt routing underneath the Front engine bracket you see here.

Make sense Eh?

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 08:53 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FrankenCougie

You will need a 1/2 inch ratchet to "pry" the tensioner arm so you can remove the belt. You can see the square hole on the Lightning style tensioner I have. After you remove the belt remove the single bolt for the idler pulley or the three 13mm bolts for the tensioner arm depending on witch is the culprit.
Mine might look different but it's basicly the same as your setup and as a matter of fact I still retain the stock '94 serptine belt routing underneath the Front engine bracket you see here.

Make sense Eh?
Please! You're just confusing the man with that picture!

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
If it sounds like an electric motor, it may be your electric fan, possibly the A/C compressor. Hope this helps man
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Stephen C
Yet another testiment to the search button

A couple days ago my engine starting skreeching. I figured it was one of the pullys and planned on looking into it tomarrow since I got the day off. Now I'm positive as to what the problem is!!!!

YAY!!!!!!

Cheers

Cheers

Dare 2 B Different

1997 T-Bird 281
1993 Cougar 302
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 04:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Item Description
1 Generator
2 Water Pump Pulley
3 Power Steering Pump Pulley
4 Crankshaft Pulley
5 A/C Compressor
6 Drive Belt
7 Drive Belt Tensioner
8 Belt Idler Pulley
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Stephen C let me know if you solved this prob! I do have a Chiltons manual so i'll hope this will make things easier to repair. I have to say i did first the WD 40 job but did no driven the Bird after it. This week i will take it for a ride and let you all know if it's still there.

Robert

post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 01:15 PM
MN12 Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Tony Send a message via MSN to Tony Send a message via Yahoo to Tony
Just went through this! I replaced my idler and tensioner pulley (same pulley for both) and paid 15 bux for each of them!

90% of the time that is the the problem for the screaching, but in my case I got stuck in the other 10%...lol. At least I won't have to worry about the pulleys anytime soon. Anyway's after I relaced the two pulleys the sound was still there. Discovered it was the alternator with further inspection.

The pulleys are simple to change, on the 96 you have to remove the pasenger coil pack to get to the tensioner. The pulleys were in bad shape though when I took them out, so I don't feel like I wasted any money.

Good luck!

Sold - 1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport - Full bolt on, PI stuff, gears, converter, exhaust, full suspension & many other things.

2007 MUSTANG GT (5M) - 504rwhp/449rwtq
- Paxton NOVI 2200 H.O. (10psi) - CMDP's - 127200 Comp Cams - BBK LT's - O/R X - FRPP GTA's - Mid Atlantic Tuned - FRPP 4.10's - Truetrac - Moser Axles - McLeod RST - Fidanza Steel FW - Eibach Pro Kit - J&M LCA's - UMI Relo. Brackets - Spohn Adj. PHB - Prothane Motor Mounts - Hawk HPS Pads - 19" Sport Edition KV5 Rims - Hankook Ventus V12 Evo Tires
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Did the WD 40 job, drove yesterday....no result!
I am looking for an adress to buy some new pulleys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in