exhaust droning question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Flying Thunder

Send a message via AIM to weswing04 Send a message via Yahoo to weswing04
exhaust droning question

If I were to get a dual in/out muffler, say a dynomax ultra flow or a magnaflow, mounted it mid body, and turned the pipes down RIGHT after the muffler..as in before it goes through the gas tank area, would that create a lot of drone? I know it would with flowmaster, but i didnt know about the straight through mufflers...

I know two pipes can be taken through the gas tank area, but I dont know if my local shop will do it. I want to stay loyal to him too...cuz he does good work and has great prices...

gimme your opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-04-2003, 09:25 PM
Renegade

Yes. Anything that exits under the car is gonna drone pretty bad. Even if there's only and inch of straight pipe before the bumper it drones horrible compared to turn-downs going past the bumper.

-Chad
Down for the count
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 02:05 AM

Are you keeping your primary cats or going to highflows?
If you run with cats they help reduce exhaust volume.

Go with a Magnaflow as a mid chassis choice, here's why:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=Magnaflows

Even if you don't go with a final set of mufflers, Chad's right, run your exhaust pipes
all the way past the rear valence to help minimize drone.....though it's pretty likely
that you still may have some......

Mager Thom
1997 AED Thunderbird LX
287RWHP 345RWTQ

"It's ALL about air flow...eveything else...is tuning..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 07:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

Listen to them. I just chopped off mine right after the third cat because my exhaust was hitting my freshly painted SC bumper and the drone is sssoooooo anoying especially at 2000 rpm. But a borla is going to replace that so it should be good.

-Brian
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 09:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to bbickers Send a message via MSN to bbickers Send a message via Yahoo to bbickers
I am running that exact Magnaflow setup. It is the single in/dual out just turned around. I sounds AWESOME a WOT, very nice when cruising, and NO DRONE. The only downside is the sound at idle. It's a little like an exhaust leak. Other than that, it rocks!

Brian B.
'97 Ford Thunderbird Sport - my daily
'03 Chevy Suburban Z71 - wife's daily
'86 Ford Mustang GT Vert - fun car
'68 Ford Mustang 2+2 - 302 4V, BW T-10 4-spd, really fun car
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Flying Thunder

Quote:
Originally posted by bbickers
I am running that exact Magnaflow setup. It is the single in/dual out just turned around. I sounds AWESOME a WOT, very nice when cruising, and NO DRONE. The only downside is the sound at idle. It's a little like an exhaust leak. Other than that, it rocks!
got any pics and/or audio clips?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:26 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by bbickers
bbickers, I'm currently in the middle of welding that sort of system together and I stopped at the muffler now, which is right around where the backseat cushion starts. The drone is so horrible, it's actually louder inside the car than outside. I'm going to the exhaust shop tomorrow to finish up the deal. How did you finish yours off? My setup right now has a 2.5" pipes from the manifolds going to high flow cats then to the dual in single out Magnaflow. I think I'm going to split back to 2.5" from the 3" outlet and go to duals at the end and put 3"x18" tips on it.

I really need to mellow this thing out because it's rediculous and I'm curious to see how you finished your system off.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:27 PM
PostWhore

I think it's just loud though from exiting under the middle of the car, but it's causing me some concern as to how much quieter it will get.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Flying Thunder

it will get a LOT quieter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

smaller pipe wil help minimize drone. running 2.5" pipe on a stock 4.6L is overkill.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:48 PM
PostWhore

Well, it's not stock anymore. I have a set of Renegade heads, PI cams, 02 MAF, intake tube, 75mm TB, a high flowing air filter, #24 injectors, C&L intake plenum, and a Dennis Chip. It just laid down 165 RWHP about 5 days ago (before I started fooling with the exhaust). I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm also at 7300 feet up! Even with non-corrected numbers, it was a 44 horse improvement over the bone stock engine.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 05:51 PM
PostWhore

Well, actually, the exhaust is a little overkill at altitude, but I'm moving back down to sea level after I graduate in a semester, so I thought it was better to plan ahead and not have to start over.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG PETE
I know it doesn't seem like much, but I'm also at 7300 feet up!

Pete
Damn...I was going to say you got ripped, cuz my bone stock 96 put down more than that!

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-25-2003, 01:17 AM
PostWhore

Yeah, this altitude is brutal. My 97 sport was behaving as if it was a stock 3.8L. It was so slow, only made 117 RWHP stock. Average power loss for a car up here varries between 27 and 30%!!!

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 04:51 AM
PostWhore

UPDATE

Ok, I finished up the exhaust system and it came out great. I love the sound. The Magnaflow is deep, smooth, and pretty mellow. It's not loud at all inside the car and is just about right on the outside. Inside the car, it's not much louder than stock at idle, noticable at cruising speeds, but doesn't drone on the highway like my buddy's Mustang does. Step on the gas though, and it really comes to live and really screams. Those problems with the sound were all fixed by adding the tailpipes. I finished off the system by having 3" tube to a Y pipe back to 2.5" pipe, and then to 3" x 18" chrome 45 degree slash cuts in the stock locations. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks for the advice guys, and you all were right about the worries just being from having it exit at the muffler under the body.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 06:13 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to bbickers Send a message via MSN to bbickers Send a message via Yahoo to bbickers
Quote:
Originally posted by BIG PETE
UPDATE

Ok, I finished up the exhaust system and it came out great. I love the sound. The Magnaflow is deep, smooth, and pretty mellow. It's not loud at all inside the car and is just about right on the outside. Inside the car, it's not much louder than stock at idle, noticable at cruising speeds, but doesn't drone on the highway like my buddy's Mustang does. Step on the gas though, and it really comes to live and really screams. Those problems with the sound were all fixed by adding the tailpipes. I finished off the system by having 3" tube to a Y pipe back to 2.5" pipe, and then to 3" x 18" chrome 45 degree slash cuts in the stock locations. I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

Thanks for the advice guys, and you all were right about the worries just being from having it exit at the muffler under the body.

Pete
Glad to see you got it sounding good. My apologies for not replying to your post. I have no idea how I missed it the other day.

I did just what you did, only smaller pipe (I am still mostly stock. ) The Magnaflow replaced the center resonator, then just a single 2 1/4" pipe to just past the rear axle. Then it splits into the two sides. No mufflers. I really love the sound expecially when you "play" with the gears. It sounds killer from 2000 - 3000 rpm. But my stock comp doesn't go past 2000 without some serious throttle. I am hoping that Santa brings me a chip and MAF to correct that. I'll try to get a soundclip up later today.

On that note, which is better for the first mod? Chip and MAF or 3.73s and driveshaft. I already have the exhaust and a K&N. Thanks.

Brian B.
'97 Ford Thunderbird Sport - my daily
'03 Chevy Suburban Z71 - wife's daily
'86 Ford Mustang GT Vert - fun car
'68 Ford Mustang 2+2 - 302 4V, BW T-10 4-spd, really fun car
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 02:24 PM
PostWhore

Yeah, I agree with what you said. I think I actually lost power with the exhaust from the seat-of-the-pants meter, but I haven't dynoed it yet. I should get that done in a week or so.

Like Greenbird said, it's probably too big for a stock engine. And, at altitude, my engine's putting out like a stocker at sea level, so it's over kill. But, I didn't see the point in building the exhaust now, then having to rebuild it in May when I graduate and get to bring the car down to sea level.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Density Altitude = 4132'
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 02:36 PM
5th Gear Poster

Personally I would get the 3.73's, MAF, and then the chip. I wouldn't worry about a driveshaft until you get your gears in and see if you do need them. I got my 3.73's put on a while ago and I reached speeds exceeding 140 mph without any problems with vibrations with my stock driveshaft. But it all depends on your car. Why spend the extra cash if you don't need it? Put it towards something else, like some pulleys. I would do the chip last so it is burnt for all the mods you have on. But you always get a reburn, which is more money. Just my two cents.

-Brian
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 01:37 AM
4th Gear Poster

I only have one thing to say... at altitude.. if it don't go, force it (as in blower). If you've ever driven a turbo car at altitude, you know the difference.. Feels like you go from 60 to 300 HP in about 500 RPM. My 88 Turbo Coupe could outrun a N/A 5.0 Stang at altitude.. it was great.. I can't wait to get my AED going.. "injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

"I'm fat, you're ugly.. I can diet!"

"I may not be smart, but I can lift heavy objects"

"10 Million sperm, and look which one got through"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in