Leaking anti-freeze... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
R/T Poster

Send a message via AIM to SmallTownBird
Leaking anti-freeze...

I went on a trip to Maryland this weekend. Before I left I checked all of my fluids and filled the anti-freeze to the full (when cold) mark. On the way up, the people following me noticed that when I when I put my foot down that the car was billowing smoke. So I pulled over and there was smoke coming out from behind the rear tires. So I looked under the car and the exhaust manifolds were wet and dripping and the smoke smelled like antifreeze. It's dripping from the area where the hoses go into the firewall where the heater core is. Now, I did flush the coolant a little while back, and I used the prestone kit that requires you to cut the hose to the heater core. The only thing is that that hose isn't wet. Also, the smoking stops once the coolant level drops to below the edge of the battery. The car doesn't run hot either. Does anyone have any ideas?

Preston

98 Dodge Dakota CC R/T
Auto, 5.9L V8 Soon to be turboed!
2BBL Extruded M1 Intake, K&N FIPK Gen 2,1.7 Roller Rockers, ported throttle body, mopar PCM, ported heads with 3 angle valve job, custom cam, 3" drop, 3" dual-pre-tire Spintech side exhaust no cats, Mopar Headers, Dodge Viper Electric Fan, Martin Saine Valve body, Ratchet floor shifter, 2800 Stall Torque Convertor, 180* T-Stat, 3923 Autolites, Clear corners, billet grill, Cervini's Spoiler....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:05 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I have had that hose go bad before and also towards the end of my 94 motors life the steel nipple on the manifold coroded through. It never completely broke off but I had to double hose clamp it to get a good seal

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 11:00 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Did you check the passenger rear of the intake manifold? I know you have an aluminum one, but sometimes they crack where the hose connects.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
R/T Poster

But if the hose went bad or the manifold cracked, why would it stop once it reached a certain level? It looks like the resevoir gets to the half full level and then it stops leaking.

Thanks for the reply's,
Preston

98 Dodge Dakota CC R/T
2BBL Extruded M1 Intake, K&N FIPK Gen 2,1.7 Roller Rockers, ported throttle body, mopar PCM, ported heads with 3 angle valve job, custom cam, 3" drop, 3" dual-pre-tire Spintech side exhaust no cats, Mopar Headers, Dodge Viper Electric Fan, Martin Saine Valve body, Ratchet floor shifter, 2800 Stall Torque Convertor, 180* T-Stat, 3923 Autolites, Clear corners, billet grill, Cervini's Spoiler....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Amateur Expert

The best way to find the leak would be to have the system pressurized. A local service station can do it for you, or get the pump and do it yourself.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
R/T Poster

What type of pump would that be and where could I get it. That makes the most sense. Also, there is this rubber nippl/hole looking thing under the hoses for the heater core. It sticks out of the firewall and is about half way between the top and botom of the wall. I don't recall seeing it before, but I looked at it with a flashlight and it had a drop of water coming off of it. This is right above where the fluid hits the exhaust, could this be it? I don't see any loose hoses that could connect to it though...

Thanks alot,
Preston

98 Dodge Dakota CC R/T
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 10:31 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

That's just the AC condensate drain.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Amateur Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by SmallTownBird
What type of pump would that be and where could I get it. That makes the most sense.
Thanks alot,
Preston
I would think most major auto parts stores would have it. I know the local Autozone would even do it for me free! You need to know how much pressure the system holds normally, then attach the pump to the reservoir and pump it up to the desired pressure and wait. If the pressure holds, you're fine - in your case, you'd want to look for drips and listen for bubbles or squealing.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Don't forget the hose in the valley under the intake manifold. Some times they go bad, and most people never realize its there.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
R/T Poster

What about it being an overflow type of safe-guard? It doesn't lose anymore antifreeze once it reaches that point. That would be a lot easier than getting theystem pressurized.

Preston

98 Dodge Dakota CC R/T
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 08:00 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Last time I saw white smoke from a bird, it was a dying head gasket.

I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defeend, to the death, your right to say it.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
R/T Poster

This wasn't smoke from the exhaust though. It was more like steam off of the exhaust pipes. I can see it dripping onto the pipes.

Preston

98 Dodge Dakota CC R/T

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in