Crown Vic 4.6 - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Crown Vic 4.6

I did a search on the forums and I got alittle information but I am still alittle confused. I have a 94 T-Bird 4.6 that is on its last legs. The local sherrifs office is getting ready to auction off its old 93 - 97 Crown Vics. I think that some of these have 4.6's in em. I could be wrong. Most of these units actually dont have very many miles on em because they were only driven as replacements when the SO's Expeditions were in for service. I can probably pic one of these up pretty cheap but is it worth the effort to use a vic engine as a swap or am I better off having my current 4.6 rebuilt?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:08 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'm not sure what year they first started putting the 4.6 in the Crown Vics but you can inspect the cars before the auctions usually. I don't know what would need to be changed to make the CV 4.6 fit your bird but it shouldn't be too bad.

Warped (not twisted!)

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent." - Richard Rahl

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 06:11 PM
RIP Jake

They're all 4.6's , but why? you would have to pull the engine, get rid if the vic chassis and still have a pre '99 , non PI engine with how many hours of Idleing time on it? the best advice youll get is to save a few more bucks, and pick up a "99(+) G.T. engine and stick it in the bird... the heads alone are worth the labor of the swap, and you will have a better base to build on with the 8 bolt crank which along with the right flex plate will accommodate a MK VIII tork converter for about $200 bucks more, and now you will have something that rocks....Good luck....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 10:02 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

I looked at a vic motor before I bought my 02 explorer motor and I think you are better off going the route I did. For one the TB on a VIC points the other direction towards the drivers side. I don't know what these cars are going to be going for but I only payed $1000 for my motor and it only and 5 miles on it

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 11:46 PM
Resident 40th Anniversary Expert

Send a message via AIM to Shawn40th
My friend Larry got a 02 explorer engine for $1100 shipped with only 3 miles. Call up Greenleafe and ask about that. You should be able to talk them down but they are listed for 1195-1300 so its really not that expensive anways. They are supposedly a easy swap like TimB said. You can do a search for "02 explorer" and find some threads that list the parts needed and some more details.

"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people."

1997 Lincoln Mark VIII, LSC - Green/Tan Leather, Sunroof, etc. FOR SALE. Inquire within.

Current car: 1999 Corvette

The 40th Anniversary Tbird is gone. Her old website & CarDomain page

Senior Member of the 'B-Team'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in