Advance timing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Advance timing

I was just wondering if it is a great benefit to the performance of the car to advance the timing?? I hear mixed things. And how much do I advance it from stock??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 12:36 AM
6th Gear Poster

n/m

Last edited by Matt S.; 07-14-2003 at 04:14 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 02:18 AM
NRL
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter

Send a message via AIM to NRL
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Popeil
How do you plan on advancing it? It can only be done through the EEC.
Uh no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:15 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by NRL

Uh no.
I'm an idiot.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 07:14 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

A Chip/EEC flash is your best bet but you could go the Timing adjuster route but they are Uber-Ghey and a pain to install. I see you list a 180 T-stat and no chip, You need a chip to take advantage of the lower degree T-Stat.

Timing adjuster
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Just thought I'd throw this in, to add to Scott's (the good Dr.) response.

Steeda Timing Adjuster

Quote:
Steeda has Perfect Timing
Release of new Steeda 4.6L timing adjuster ends fixed-timing frustration for ‘96 through ‘03 Mustang owners.

Do you own a 1996 or 2002 Mustang? Are you sick of not being able to adjust your timing? Now there’s help for your fixed-timing woes; Steeda Autosports has finished work on a new version of their high-quality 4.6L Timing Adjuster.

This new and improved timing adjuster now fits 2000-2002 4.6 engines and 1996-99 models as well. The reason for the re-design came late last year when Ford moved the belt tension-er for the 2000 model year, interfering with the bracket of the Steeda adjuster. The new Steeda adjuster does away with the bracket allowing it to fit all 1996- 2003 4.6 Mustangs. To advance or retard the timing with-the new Steeda Adjusterowners simply need to loosen the three Allen-head bolts and rotate the clearly marked, laser-etched sprocket on the crank-shaft pulley.

The adjuster gives 20 degrees of total adjustment range, 10 degrees advance and 10 degrees retard. Give Steeda a call or log on to the web-site at www.steeda.com to free up your fixed-timing frustrations.

One would probably increase the timing by a few degrees until 'pinging' occurs under load ....then retard it a bit.

I'd still rather go with a programmed chip or EEC, but that's just me.

Quote:
Uber-Ghey

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

True, the chip is needed for my car pretty soon. Which one do you think is best??
I hear that fordchip and reinhart are best, but what about jet??
Anyone have any input??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:16 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Reinhart might have the quickest turn around time for basicly the same great tune. Jet makes a good dishwasher additive and thats about it.

-Scott

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally posted by whitecat7
True, the chip is needed for my car pretty soon. Which one do you think is best??
I hear that fordchip and reinhart are best, but what about jet??
Anyone have any input??
http://rffperformance.com dont forget about Dom Orlando..his prices seem to be quite reasonable, he also has da LMAF and 22Cs available for order on his site. also Apten Performance. i have one of the rare CustomChip tunes..

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Sorry I felt I had to plug Dennis becuase Dom or Brian did not just give me a MAF adapter last weekend but they are outstanding as well. You might as well add W&S Motorsports to that list as well for those in the dirty south and we don't Funk around.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FrankenCougie
Reinhart might have the quickest turn around time for basicly the same great tune. Jet makes a good dishwasher additive and thats about it.

-Scott
LOL... my last burn took, what, two months. I kept calling them, telling them I hadn't got my chip. They said they never recieved it. After the month or so required to pass by to collect the insure for a lost package, I went to the post office. Turns out, they had signed for the chip three days after I sent it. They said they would hook me up on the chip since I had to wait over a month to get it... the hook up was full price. I waited two more weeks before they sent it. Everytime I called, I got the impression he didn't want to be bothered by a customer. I guess everyone has different opinions on who to use, but after that experience.. I'll use a different company in the future.

(Though I still wouldn't trust Jet with my dishwasher)
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Poster

yeah i got that impression from him also i had emailed him a few times to get info about what i should get and he didn't seem to friendly. i remember instead of telling me if what i wanted was what i need it all he told me was how much it cost lol. alberto from fordchip was cool though

Using G-Tech...
0-60 @ 6.99 sec
15.42 1/4 mile (i do not trust it)
(After pullies, chip, and 3:55 gears with 3/4 tank gas)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Should I wait until I get all mods done whatever they'll all be, or can I get the chip reprogrammed if I put it in now and add stuff later?? Is that possible?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally posted by Kounoupi
yeah i got that impression from him also i had emailed him a few times to get info about what i should get and he didn't seem to friendly. i remember instead of telling me if what i wanted was what i need it all he told me was how much it cost lol. alberto from fordchip was cool though
WOW!! I'm glad it is not only me!! I vowed I would never spend a dime with Dennis after a VERY rude conversation I had with him a few weeks ago.

I thought that maybe I was just over reacting, but from these posts, it sounds like I'm not.

If anyone wants to PM me, I'll explain, in detail, my disgust with Dennis as I won't go into detail on the board.

I agree that Alberto seems cool (but busy), and I'll be sending my business to them.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
New Title Pending

dennis is a good guy, he's just very busy right now. You have to imagine what it is like when the phone rings off the hook all day long and you have work to do.

Brian
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Poster

yeah thats what i hear i mean i'm not bad mouthing the guy i have nothing against him i have heard he's worked miricles for people before, but i was just sayin ya know...

Using G-Tech...
0-60 @ 6.99 sec
15.42 1/4 mile (i do not trust it)
(After pullies, chip, and 3:55 gears with 3/4 tank gas)
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
I think the problems of people dealing with Dennis are related to his workload. Sometimes he's busy, other times hes not. A few weeks ago I called abd BSed about SC's in general looking for his advice for a friend of mine and he was cool as hell.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

He's like the dad on American Choppers. He's not mad at cha' he's just a very busy and I have been there before at an extremely busy shop and the phone is ringing constantly and just the sound of it can strike your last nerve. Dennis is a good guy and has done his best to serve us non-Mustang folks.

Pimpin aint easy.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2003, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Poster

Wow... I never realized other people had the same thoughts. I just thought he was having a bad day/week/month. But, well, really, I just thought he was a *richard*. Considering I got my chip about a year ago from him, doesn't sound like there is a good time to call.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in