Hissing sound near throttle body - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CougarXR7Man
Hissing sound near throttle body

noticed it after i changed my t-stat. coming from the back passenger side. it goes away with a lil trottle, but returns when at idle. what could it be. i did a search and a similar thing happend with a 94....he had a problem with his IAC tube....he was told that 94-95's had a prob. with that tube...and there was an updated one avail. i assume that my 96 4.6 has the updated tube. What could it be!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:57 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Scott Suzanne
check for vacuum leaks, there are a few vacuum lines back there. If you have access to a stethoscope, use it or just a length of tubeing in your ear.
Other than that it could be a bit of air trapped in the coolant system which will work it's way out eventually.
Hope this helps out.

Scott

97 Mercury Cougar "Project Eliminator" 385 RWHP 400 RWTQ
2000 GT PI 4.6 Liter with Coil-on Plug Mod, Tork Tech Inc. M112 Supercharger
BC-Automotive 4R70W and Torque Converter by Darrin, 3.73:1 rear gear, Aluminum Driveshaft,
Kooks 3/4 Length Headers, Custom Mandrel-Bent Exhaust, Vogtland 3/4" Lowering Springs,
18x9.5 GT500 Wheels, 255-45-18 front 285-40-18 rear by Custom Wheel Shop.
Under Construction

2010 Mustang GT
Daily Driver / Stock
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

There is a pretty substancial "T" fitting on the drivers side of the manifold back there. I would bet it dry rotted and split

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I'm not sure but i might be having the same noise on my Cougar, There is a high pitch hissing comming from the engine bay. i think that i have the noise narrowed down to comming from the bottom of the engine. might be the manifold. i know that the gasket has a small pinsize hole in it, but could that be causing it. it only makes the noise when the car is in park. as soon as i put it in gear it stops, even without any throtle. could it really be from the pinsize hole in the gasket or could it be somthing other than hoses. cause it wil cost a pretty penny to get that gasket replaced. when i took it to my mechanic he told me that it was such a small part that it wouldn't be worth spending the money to replace it as of now. but any other opinions are more than welcome, sorry for the long thread and for cutting in on CougarXR7Man's thread. thanks for the help.
MercCat_XR7

Flowmaster Cat-Back Tuned Exhaust, , K&N Filterpanel, Richard M Intake Tube, MSD 8.5mm Superconductor Wires, MSD Racing Ignition Coils, Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, TransGo Shift Improver Kit, 3.73 FRPP Pumpkin Kit, 2700 Torque Converter, Deleted Third Cat, Removed Air Silencer, Alpine Head Unit, 2 Alpine 12" Type R Subs, Concept 1100 Amp, 17'' AT Italia Chrome Inox Wheels
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CMUnick7
prolly vacumm leak.. check the hoses

"I tried putting my hand down her pants, but her pants were too tight so I just put them in her pocket"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CougarXR7Man
after listening and messin around...it sounds like its coming from the injectors and today, while sitting in traffic...the cat started to shake just a little and it sounded like it was missing, or acting like it was going to die....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in