engine replacement...by dealer a few ??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Question engine replacement...by dealer a few ???

Hello, I'm considering having a new engine installed in my '97 4.6 'Bird. My current one has 165k wonderful miles. I would love to have a GT spec 4.6. I have neither the time or know how to do the swap myself. Can the GT spec engine work with my car. I think it should, but there's bound to be some kind of pitfall. Would the dealer make this swap? Would I be better served getting a standard motor and getting a custom chip for the cpu?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 11:52 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Robinson
the swap will work and any dealer is capable of doing it. the only question is how much you are willing to spend to have the work done. plan on around $2k for just the motor, then around another 500-1000 for misc. parts...then add to that the labor at the dealer, it adds up pretty quick.

the following come from Big Scott, hes done quite a few of the swaps...
Quote:
Both the 94-5's and 96-7' will require adjusting the motor mounts with a flame wrench, an 8 bolt flexplate with two extra bolts, 190+ fuel pump (for best results), adding a VAc line for the power brakes (or swap the 96-7 TB adapter over).
swaping the oil pan and sump tube over, the oil filter /coolant "tree" , the 96-7 EGR tube, 96-7 fuel rails, MN12 manifolds (Extrude hone them or add headers to aid the flow), Better MAF (L-maf or equiv), Larger injectors, Custom chip, and a stronger driveshaft (IMO). Installing the dash temp sensor someware, And a larger bolt to hold the trans dipstick tube to the RT side head.

www.innerlusion.com
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
89 SC 5 speed

FCoNE President

Last edited by Robinson; 07-16-2002 at 11:59 PM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink thanks...I needed that!!

Yep that would be cost prohbitive for a dealer to do it. I was just dreaming I guess. I still want the engine though. I will scour the posts and find some inexpensive upgrades for my new engine...4.6 T-bird spec. DAMN I thought it would be easy!! JB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 10:06 AM
5th Gear Poster

Flame wrench

Excuse my ignorance, but WTH is a flame wrench?

Has anyone put up a step by step tech paper on installing a 99+ engine in a 97 t-bird?

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 10:26 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Flame wrench = Torch or plasma cutter

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 11:01 AM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

Also sometimes called a "Blue Wrench"

C
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 11:45 AM
PostWhore

A torch and a plasma cutter are two totally different things in this case. Torches are for heating and cutting, while the plasma cutter is for cutting only. I believe the heat is the key here, and not the cutting.

John
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 11:48 AM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

No...we're talking about cutting...thanks...move along

Seabass
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:58 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
Cutting? What do you have to cut to fit a 99+ GT in it?

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:21 PM
PostWhore

Ummm...that's my question...what the heck are you having to cut? It's the same basic motor. What has changed? I never recall hearing about a torch being a required tool for the swap. Excuse me for not bowing to the all knowing one, and I didn't see you say anything about cutting Seabass, so I don't know where the "we" came from. And plus, adjusting does not generally indicate cutting...more closely describes bending, which would indicate that heat might be required. Pardon me for not being humbled.

John
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
I'm not being arrogant, just trying to learn. You've done the swap haven't you Seabass? (isn't your car the red one with the Cobra cowl with hood pics, and a nice big vortech on it?) I'm just trying to get you to teach me.

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:30 PM
PostWhore

Seabass's car is Johnny V's old car (black), which already had the 99GT engine in it when he bought
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:46 PM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Man, You guy's kill me.

This is what needs to be cut in order to install a 99+ block in a MN12. I have used a "Zizzz" wheel , Torch and a Plasma cutter to do this task. The pic below is of two motor mounts (same side) one cut (front) and the other still in it's stock form. I took this picture to help others get an idea of how much needs to be trimmed. I have a '01 Cobra block and they do not require an "adjustment" in order to install the motor mounts.

Dr. F

Last edited by Dr. FrankenCougie; 07-17-2002 at 01:54 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 01:48 PM
PostWhore

Zizzz wheel

I like that...that's funny!!

John
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 03:11 PM
Mushroom Stamp Layer

Just because I didn't install the 99GT motor into the car doesn't mean I don't know anything about the car or the swap.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 10:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Re: Man, You guy's kill me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. FrankenCougie
This is what needs to be cut in order to install a 99+ block in a MN12. I have used a "Zizzz" wheel , Torch and a Plasma cutter to do this task. The pic below is of two motor mounts (same side) one cut (front) and the other still in it's stock form. I took this picture to help others get an idea of how much needs to be trimmed. I have a '01 Cobra block and they do not require an "adjustment" in order to install the motor mounts.

Dr. F

dr f, im having a hard time seeing the difference in the mounts, im going to be doing the swap in a few weeks, and i really really need to know what to cut off.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:32 AM
Overkill Fetish Freak

Sorry, I had a better pic but can't seem to find it. Look top & left of the nut and you will see more of the "round mount" then on the stock piece. I made more of a "U" to give room for the block casting that wont allow the bracket to sit flush on the newer style block.

The best way to handle the 99+ swap is to have a hoist and a engine stand. The 4.6 is not a good fit on a normal stand as you will soon see. I took some material off the post's of my stand's arms that insert into the Trans dowel holes on the block (make sense?) You have to swap the oil pan (and torque the bolts), sump tube, mounts, install/torque the headers/manifolds down and install the oil filter adapter. Be sure to add a little RTV on the corners where the pan, block and timing cover meet. When you have it on the stand you can fit the motor mount brackets a little at a time. You don't want to take off too much, right?

I like to mate the trans and motor while outside the car and install it as a unit. Be sure the Trans is not "bound" when you tighten the Trans to block bolts. Do this by turning the crank clockwise after you snug the bolts down. If it turns you good if not you have to re-install the trans to the motor. Doing this while under the car at 3:00am with your buddy's wife coming out asking WTF are you guys doing this late is not fun... but we got it after the 5th try. I have found that lifting the rear of the car higher then the front will allow the trans to slip in without any fuss. When you start to remove your old motor leave the AC unit hooked up and dangling on some bungy cords in the engine bay. Lifting the motor up a bit will allow you to remove the extra long AC bolts. Be sure to "load" the bolt holes on the AC unit when you go to lower the new motor in and attach it while it is still hanging. Do the same for the lovely power stearing pump you will get to know real well. On that bitch, remove the "clip" that braces the high pressure line to get at the hidden bolt. Let it hang as well on a bungy out of the way. Make sure you install the starter and trans lines B4 you lower the motor down...And don't forget the plate the goes between the Trans and motor.

It's late and thats the best I can do right now...

-Dr. F

Sways and upper control arms should be on the roster as well.

Last edited by Dr. FrankenCougie; 07-18-2002 at 12:44 AM.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 12:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Dr.F

would you mind if i emailed you directly if i have any questions mid-install?? thanks for the post thats going into the saved folder.

thanks

keith

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 08:24 PM
1st Gear Poster

Hey Dr. FrankenCougie

Did I read your post correctly? Have you installed a Cobra Motor into a T-Bird? If so, I really need to talk to you.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

engine replacemet...

Oh No!! I was just wondering if my dealer COULD replace my 4.6 with a GT 4.6. As you know they are the same block with different tuning. There is no way i could do it myself. From what I've read I think I'm just gonna get the T-Bird 4.6 and hop it up a bit with bolt ons
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

oops...I'm not frankencougie!!!

Sorry, I thought you were asking me!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in