Long Tube Header! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Question Long Tube Header!

OKay, i have a 4.6L 96 thunderbird, i need to know if any one has or knows somebody who has put long tube headers on a 4.6L. im wondering if long tube headers from a mustang 4.6 will fit on my bird. if any one has ne suggestions or advice, let me know thanks\
RIchard

RIchard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
I don't know of anyone, and after long hours of using the search button, I never found anyone. The best I could find are the Kooks which are more like mid-length headers... I have heard a lot of very positive feedback about them and have not heard of any bad... go to supercoupeperformance.com to find them and the prices...

Sam
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 12:06 AM
PostWhore

For a 4.6 example, you are out of luck. Blown 306 took mustang long tubes and hacked them to fit on a 5.0 with a Kenne-Bell. He had to redo the driver's side so the stearing linkage could actually go through the header. He said it took him about a month of measuring, cutting, and welding to make it work. Definately not for the faint of heart.

I'm with slayer, go with the Kooks unless you can work miracles with a torch and welder.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2003, 02:06 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to pa_dan Send a message via Yahoo to pa_dan
If you have your heart set on a set of long tubes,I meen 100% set on them and your willing to spend big money there is an option. First get a set of the Kooks headers.Cut foo the collectors.Next install on the car, and have new tubes bent to make about a 45 degree bend on all 4.I'm not 100% sure what exact angles are needed, but what you will be doing is moddifing a set of "3/4 length" headers into long tubes. After that you will then be ready to install new collectors.If you do not have access to a good exhaust bender,welder,and have the time and know how to fab up your own parts I would guess it would cost about 400$-700$ plus the cost of the kooks headers.I would not get the coated ones, cause you would need to re coat the botom half later. I would get them coated after the work is done, since you dont want to have a set of 1400$$$$ headers rust out. Like I said, it is posible, but not cheap.In my opinion, unless your at or near the 300HP level, JBA's would work fine(if the cracking issue is fixed).Then up to 450HP-500HP level the kooks will work great. Over that and the long tubes in 1 3/4 inch size. So how much power do you want? And how deep are you pockets? Good luck.....................Dan

94 4.6L Lx, 04 exploder engine awating instalation
88 Mustang LX 5.o 5spd stock
70 Mustang mach 1 Ex-drag car
66 Mustang convertable getting a new 302.

Pa mustang/ford forum
http://www.svtcobraltd.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in