does ecm = ecu? also how much are they and where can i get one? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

does ecm = ecu? also how much are they and where can i get one?

does ecm = ecu? also how much are they and where can i get one?

also its a 94 4.6l and the junkyards keep asking me for the code #'s on the ecu..the car is at the shop right now and they charged 500$ just to check and see what was wrong and they found out it was the ecu and now they want another 495$ to replace it. any suggestions??

thanks

Brian

Last edited by Monk; 07-22-2003 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:53 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

$500 for diagnostics sounds high, and so does $495 for a replacement, unless the quoted amounts are in Hong Kong dollars.

Ford's calls the computer that controls fuel flow rate and injectors the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)(that's what it sounds like you're asking about). I've been told that the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Engine Control Module (ECM) are pretty much the same.

Replacements are generally special order parts, but, if you shop around, I'd think you can find them for less than what you were told. If you do order one yourself, the calibration code is required (this is on a label in the engine compartment - and is what the junkyards are asking for).

Last edited by IronChopz; 07-22-2003 at 02:01 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

They charged you WHAT ? That is utterly ridiculous. I'd get my car outta there ASAP. How did they figure out the EEC was bad, anyway? Go to car-part.com or a similar place and find one cheap. You'll need a 94-95 4.6L version. The catch code isnt as important... the hardware is the same for the ones I listed, the only differences are the minor variations in software programming.

Though the manuals refer to them as PCM's, the programming is EEC-V (Electronic Engine Control , version 5) .. so we usually call them EECs. Each has their own. GM's call theirs PCMs, but its all the same thing.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

wow these guys are totally screwing us.. they said it needs a new ecm which cost 300$ (called ford and they want 270 walk in price) and then they want 185$ to install it and check to see if that was the problem... I thought when they testd the injector they flow tested it and checked to see if it was dirty but i guess they jsut checked the resistance and "it was within speck"...im pullin the car out of there asap before my bill is like 1500$ for a dirty injector... Screw the local place..shoulda took it to ford
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 04:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did the guy ever check to see if there were codes? was the check engine light on before you took it in? I can pull out and swap EECs in 5 minutes, 6 if I'm standing around talking to people. Nothing about that costs $185. What happened that you took it to the shop in the first place?

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:24 PM
RIP Jake

If somebody tried to run a scam on me like that I'm afraid it would be a bad day at black rock as I wouwd either be using my knife or.44 mag to debate with that mechanic ... get the car back 1st... get a lawyer... file in small claims court ...spread the word as to how you got ripped..... My God thats awful... Who and where is this outfit?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................
'95 LX, 5.4 L, 6# powerdyne in about 2 more weeks (I aint a fast installer, but then again I'm not a slow installer either, so I must be one of those "half-fast installers")

'99Tarus 24v, a new experience
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

no there were no codes, and the reason i took it in was becasue i thought it was a head gasket..it was billowing white smoke out the tail pipes..and from every car ive seen tat is getting too much fuel its black smoke and you can smell the gas. the smoke that was coming outa the pipes looked more like water vapor..so there was no way i was gonna mess with a head gasket. id rather pay someone 1000$ to do it then to have to do it myself. the place is in a small town close to mine..from what everyone says they do good work. i told them im getting the car out tommrow and that id fix it myself..and i work so i couldnt get there before 5:00..so they are charging me a 50$ overnight fee... i mean i dont know what i can do..i didnt think it would cost more then 150$ to find out what the problem is. now im stuf with a car that does the exact same thing as it did when i sent it in but im out 590$ no wait 640$..

also when i asked what caused the ecm to break they told me "well these things happen to older cars"
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Any place that charges you a storage fee for the 1st night after diagnostics is a rip off. Get your car out of there!

J.Miller
East Coast Rolling Thunder!!!!
Official Eastern and Central PA chapter of the SCCoA!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 AM
RIP Jake

You need to tell us the name of that shop and its location , so others can avoid it
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:43 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Monk,

A little extra fuel IE running rich will be black but the condition you have with an injector being held open produces lots of white smoke. Been there done that.....

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #11 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:46 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to birdmandan Send a message via Yahoo to birdmandan
Monk, I hope you have money saved up, once you pay their rediculas prices they're going squeeze more and more. And doing it your self is the funnest (if thats a word) way.

Modifications....

-air silencer removed
-3.25 pipe from filter to throttle body
-cone filter
-flowmaster muffler in for resonator
-3 inch exaust past muffler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in