Cracked Intake (Help and Warning) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Cracked Intake (Help and Warning)

Well here is something for all you 4.6 owners that haven't had the intake crack on you yet. Mine cracked late last week so I dropped my 97 Bird off at the local dealer to have the intake replaced. Well I got a call back from them about an hour or so after dropping it off telling me that my intake is NOT covered by the recall. I just find it strange that my intake cracked in the area that is described in the recall. I have since ordered the parts from Max at Five Star, and plan on doin the replacement this weekend. Has anyone else come across this problem with Ford, also what are the chances that I could have ended up with an older intake that is covered by the recall?

A couple of other thing before I am done. Does anyone know if there are any special tools that will be needed in doing this replacement? Are there any words of wisdom that I should hear b4 I jump into this task?

Christopher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 06:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to wkenneth
I'd call Ford...to put it nicely...read them the riot act.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96pearlV8
The warranty on the intake manifold is only good for 7 years after the original date of sale. (My car's expires on August 17th! CRAP!) Check to see when your car was first sold. (to the guy who bought it new, not when you bought it used or anything like that)

James

1.375" front and 1.25" rear swaybars (pretty rough ride)
Premier 940 MP3/WMA CDplayer
2 Infinity Reference 12" subs, 5 farad capacitor 1600w of amps Alpine speakers all around
Legendary 3" Cobra Cowl hood, TBird decals
Smashed up driver's door. Lemme know if you got a spare one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 07:36 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96pearlV8
OOPS! Yours is a 97! you should still be good.

1.375" front and 1.25" rear swaybars (pretty rough ride)
Premier 940 MP3/WMA CDplayer
2 Infinity Reference 12" subs, 5 farad capacitor 1600w of amps Alpine speakers all around
Legendary 3" Cobra Cowl hood, TBird decals
Smashed up driver's door. Lemme know if you got a spare one!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 01:36 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Scott Suzanne
Ford goes by the VIN and build date, in 97 they discovered the problem and put an upgraded intake, still with the plastic crossover. Mine cracked back at the heater hose and I tried to get it replaced, Ford was no help, everybody I talked to said that my car had the upgraded intake (all this happened before the one with the aluminum crossover came out). I even had a friend of mine that worked at a dealer try to see if he could arrange to get it replaced under warranty but no luck there. So, I just sucked it up and bought one and replaced it myself.
The install isn't too bad. It took me about 3 hrs to do it, but I kept getting interuputed at the garage by people admiring the car, and I took my time to replace it. The only special tool you may need it the tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the rails, I did not disconect them, just loosed the bolts holding the rails down and worked the intake out with the fuel lines attached. You may need and EGR gasket, mine got torn during removal. I didn't disconnect the EGR line at the exhaust either.
All and all, not too bad for someone with minor automotive knowledge, my tip would be to be sure to label everything that you disconnect too make sure that it gets plugged back in correctly and that you don't forget anything. You will have to drain the coolant( if it isn't already all over your motor), so be sure to have new stuff to go in. There is a torque spec for the intake bolts, 18 in/lbs. I believe, don't have the Haynes manual handy.
Hope this helps out, good luck in the swap.

Scott

97 Mercury Cougar "Project Eliminator" 385 RWHP 400 RWTQ
2000 GT PI 4.6 Liter with Coil-on Plug Mod, Tork Tech Inc. M112 Supercharger
BC-Automotive 4R70W and Torque Converter by Darrin, 3.73:1 rear gear, Aluminum Driveshaft,
Kooks 3/4 Length Headers, Custom Mandrel-Bent Exhaust, Vogtland 3/4" Lowering Springs,
18x9.5 GT500 Wheels, 255-45-18 front 285-40-18 rear by Custom Wheel Shop.
Under Construction

2010 Mustang GT
Daily Driver / Stock
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

The dealer that I took it to pulled it up on there computers and told me that I was supposed to have the upgraded intake. I then asked a favor of Max out a Five Star, for him to ask his service people out there to do a look up and make sure that my dealer wasn't blowing smoke and he came up with the same thing. SOOO right then and there I ordered the parts and had them shipped 3 day and they will be here on friday. With the club discounts this is only setting me back just over 200$ for the intake, all gaskets and shipping. It wasn't half as bad as I figured it would be.

Scott thanx for the idea of not taking the lines free from the rails. That was the only thing that I saw when I looked quickly at the intake. My dad has torn down ford engines for years but has never done anything more to a modular other than change the oil.

If anyone knows of anything else that could help me out, I will be doing this tear down on sunday, please let me know.

Christopher
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 08:40 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to birdmandan Send a message via Yahoo to birdmandan
I have the Haynes book, so if you need the torque specs I'll give you them. I took my intake off my 3.8L last week and it's not that bad. Only problem was I broke a bolt, so i just left it in there. I recommend what Scott Suzanne didso you don't have to screw around with the injectors.

Good Luck

Modifications....

-air silencer removed
-3.25 pipe from filter to throttle body
-cone filter
-flowmaster muffler in for resonator
-3 inch exaust past muffler
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

If you could give me the torque specs I would appreciate it. I have a ford service CD but I seemed to have misplaced it.

Christopher
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 10:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

its not hard, ive removed and replaced mine its not big deal set aside atleast 3-4 hrs. after doing it 3 times, ive got it down to about an 2+hrs

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:06 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I was reading http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-...b/R97M91a3.PDF
It seems that they *only* perform the swap for free *if* you have leakage in the exact right spot.

I have a coolant leak where the aluminum thermostat housing connects to the plastic manifold.
I'm going by the Ford dealer tomorrow, but I'm unsure whether they'll replace my manifold for free...

See http://ivo.nu/photos/thunderbird/v8_engine for a view on my engine, it seems that I have the 'old' plastic version, right? Car was built 11/96 so I should be eligible...

Ivo
('97 3.8l v6 Tbird) (was: 4.6l v8 )
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well your mfg date is good for the recall. but not sure about the place of the crack. i was told that my crack was in the correct spot but my car didn't qualify for the recall because i had the updated intake.... the crack was almost directly behind the alt. maybe they will fix it for you if not the parts will come to about 218 shipped from five star if you are a tccoa member. well good luck

christopher
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Well I just dropped the bird off at the shop this morning, and they told me that it would be about 260$ for labor on it. The only reason that I am taking it down there is because I just don't have the time to do it, so just going to pay the money and get out of the gas guzzlin F-150 that I am driving right now. They said that they would probably have it done this afternoon.

Christopher
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Poster

When the intake on my 1997 4.6 cracked, right behind the alternator, I called my local Ford dealer and was told the repair was NOT covered. I supposedly had the new and improved intake on the car.

I later found that if the car was built after May 26 or May 28, 1997 (Can't remember which day) a cracked intake will NOT be covered. My car was built later in the year.

I wrote to William Clay Ford, Jr. and got back a letter from a service representative that, like a slimy politician, avoided answering my direct question, "why are police and fleet cars covered but not T-Birds built after May 1997." I think the answer to that question is obvious. Ford isn't worried if we buy another car from them or not. But they won't do anything to make the big buyers unhappy.

Eddie

1990 5 speed Super Coupe
K&N air filter
Borla stainless steel exhaust
Tokico Shocks
1.5” drop Eibach springs
Competition Limited headlamp harness
Under drive accessory pulleys
Overdrive supercharger pulley

1997 4.6 LX - Sports Suspension Package
Stock wheels, Goodyear Eagle 225/60/16 RS-A tires
Stock Traction-Lok axle, 3:27 gears
Leather, sunroof, electric antenna
Air Silencer removed, K&N air filter
Third cat removed, Magnaflow mufflers
1.25 rear Addco bar
Hayden transmission cooler
Competition Limited headlamp harness with 80/100 bulbs
1st Generation Jerry (Inject-Tech) Chip
KDC-X859 Kenwood Excelon head – Sirius ready with CD/MP 3 player
2 – 5 x 7 Boston Acoustics Rally speakers in front
2 – 5 x 7 Kenwood Excelon Speakers in back
265 watt Phoenix Gold amp
10 CD Kenwood changer
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:59 PM

Unhappy

My 97 has a date of 8/97 on the inside drivers side door post. It start'd leaking at the thermostat 2 days ago. I thought it might be the "O" ring but after replacing it there is still a leak. Tomorrow I call the ford dealer to see what's up. If they have an updated intake to fix the problem of cracking...doesn't that usually mean that it would not be expected to crack also? Will post my findings from the dealer.

I went to Alldata and found this. It looks like it was after my car was built so hopefully they will stand behind it. Plus the airbag thing.

Bulletins for 1997 Ford Thunderbird V8-281 4.6L VIN W SFI

Safety Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 00B33 MAR 00 Recall - Airbag Deactivation Shunt Replacement

General Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 97M91 MAR 99 Campaign - Intake Manifold Replacement

BadCBX

Last edited by BadCBX; 09-02-2003 at 12:19 AM.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:59 AM

FYI.....It's a jungle out there in the info world. Looks like someone has started a Class Action concerning the manifold.

http://www.cbycb.com/html/class/class_full.php?id=26

BadCBX
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:47 AM
Chapter Director Coordinator

too bad only works for residents of Alabamba.. would love to jump in on that one...
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I can tell you that you will not get the replacement manifold for your car paid for. Your car will be out of range just like mine. Message me if you want some part numbers and some prices.

Christopher
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:09 PM

Angry

Quality is job 1...sure it is.

BadCBX
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

my car rolled off the line on 12/96.. so i still have some time it seems.

i'm just waiting.. cuz the way my luck runs??? the best thing that could happen would be for it to happen during sshs3 i suppose, cuz there is a friendly ford dealer right down the road...

JD

P.S. knocking on wood it DON"T happen
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:44 PM

Angry

go to the ford site, they have a recall area that you plug your VIN into to see if there are any recalls for your car. Ford told me I'm outa luck and on my own.

BadCBX
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:32 AM

Thumbs up

OK...major happy camper here. I drop'd my bird off at 6pm and told them I had replaced the O ring and took 1/2 inch off the hose and it still was putting coolant out in the thermostat area. I looked for any visible cracks, but I know that fluid will escape through cracks or pinholes that are not visible to the naked eye. I just pick'd it up at 11pm for the total of $72 bucks. The two bolts that hold the coolant neck down to the intake have concave washers on them. They said that the washers look'd like they had weaken'd and were not providing enough force to the O ring which made it leak. They said they could order new washers or add a washer, they said it would work just fine. They did another pressure test and everything was fine. I hope that some that have take'n their cars in for the same problem haven't run into so less than honest dealers that sent them pack'n with a new intake install'd when it might have just been the washers.

Hope this saves someone future grief

BadCBX
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I discovered a while ago that I have a coolant leak near the thermostat housing. I already spent some money at a local shop to get it fixed (by resealing the thermostat housing).

It didn't seal properly and it's still seeping. The coolant actually drips into the spark plug holders and apparently my plug #7 doesn't seal properly so I get a lot of misfires due to coolant on the plug. Anyway, back to the main story.

Today that same local shop told me he noticed a small crack in the intake manifold. So I'm about to bring it to a dealer for the 97M91 recall. Now, the recall seems to mention that they'll only replace the manifold if it's seeping under the manifold at the first coolant crossover. I just went to the dealer and he said 'Drop it off tomorrow and we'll look into it.' Meaning that if they do not honour the recall, I'm down a $40 diagnostic fee... I'll keep you posted! Keeping crossing my fingers to get this thing worked out for me!

Ivo
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Brought the car to the dealer, recall honoured, I now have the manifold with the aluminum coolant crossover, for zero bucks! And the thermos-housing-leak is of course gone!

I'm a happy camper!

Ivo
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:18 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
Yeah, my intake started a small crack and got worse. I took it to the dealer and they ran my VIN, printed out the paper, gave it to me and ssaid tough luck. "your car just missed the recal" Bastards!!! I had to do it at home. easy job, just get the intake torque specs...the guys at ford will usually run you off a copy if you ask. Chris

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 07:27 PM
5th Gear Poster

Yeah, I've never had a good experience with a ford service dept around here. Long read:

I purchased my 1996 cougar from the largest GM dealer in my area. I looked at the car a couple of times, and pretty much was decided on the car before I test drove it. A week prior to my actual purchase, I test drove the car anyway (the salesman insisted) by myself for about 10 minutes. On the main drag back to the dealer, I mashed it in 2nd gear and ran it up to about 65 mph. I glanced in the rearview and saw nothing but smoke behind me. Long story short, the intake cracked on my first time ever driving the car (you should've seen the look on their faces when I bought the car back in with smoke pouring from underneath the hood). Now I had not even put any money on the car and they were apologizing out the window about what happened (I knew about the manifold then though). 4 days later, the replacement upgraded manifold was in place and I came in to get the car (with an additional $900.00 knocked off of the price). It was my first "new" car buying experience, and the people at the GM dealer made it a very exceptional one. Even the techs told me that if anything ever went wrong with it concerning the intake, just bring is right back in, appt necessary and they'd get right on it. And it wasn't even their brand of vechicle!

NOW, 6 months later, I developed a small coolant leak in the front of the car, not from any hoses and took it to my local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to have it looked at (I had a full warranty through MRP and could take it anywhere to get it fixed). I made the appointment like everyone else and brought it in at the scheduled time. They told me the car would be diagnosed before noon which would enable me to make a claim and get a rental car so I could get to school. I called at noon and they had not even started on the car yet. When I came in that morning, my name was the first on the roster, so it should've been the first to get in. I called back at 4pm and they still hadn't started on it. So I got a ride in to raise holy #$*&^ because I had missed a whole day of class during the week before finals. The guy at the service counter got very snotty with me and pretty told me that my car wasn't a priority because I didn't buy it from them!! :redman: So I got the manager and he promised me that the car would be diagnosed by the following morning . So I left it there overnight, and called the following day at 10am to check on the status. They still didn't get the car in and said once again "It's next to go in". So even more upset, I went back and demanded that they at least gave me a loaner so I wouldn't miss another day of class, as the requirements of a rental are that the car is kept overnight, and they did just that. They still refused to do so because the car wasn't diagnosed yet. So I missed 1.5 days now. Then to make things worse, they closed early that day (12pm because of snow) without even giving a courtesy call. Extremely upset, I took the car from the dealer with my spare keys that very same day and went straight back to the GM dealer and told them what I had been through. So 20 minutes later they had the car diagnosed (bad radiator) had me a claim number and voucher, and rented me a Oldmobile intrugue and I was off to school. It's a shame that I'm not interested in any new GM vechicles because FoMoCo definetly lost my respect those 2 days. Especially since that was my first time ever dealing with a Ford or GM dealer as far as servicing my car went.

1988 XR7
5.8L EFI, tremec 3550,spec stage III clutch,90mm L-MAF, TFS heads, GT40 intake, lunati cam,Fordchip.com,diablo chip 311rwhp 375 rwft/lbs.13.2 @107.2. with 3.08's
2004 Pontiac GTO LS1 6 speed black/red RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in