coolant/heater hoses - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

coolant/heater hoses

I want to change out all of the coolant hoses and thermostat on my '96 4.6. The upper and lower radiator hoses are pretty obvious, but I have a question about the heater hoses. Do I need anything special, or will generic hose from the parts house work? Any thoughts on what size and length to buy would be greatly appreciated!

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Renegade

you can get preformed from ford or even a parts store, or any old hose from anywhere else (much more of a pain) just make sure it's coolant hose.

there's two pieces behind the intake manifold, and one underneith at the very front that connects to the abck of the water pump. no fun.

-Chad
Down for the count
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 07:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
This is just a suggestion, but I wouldn't change out the ones to the heater core until they needed it.

Here's why I say that: (1) To replace the heater core in the MN12's are a HUGE PITA. Whole, complete dash removal is required!! So I would be afraid of damaging the heater core when you remove the old hoses and install the new ones. And (2) The plastic intakes are prone to cracking at the front, but also I’ve heard some cracking at the rear where the water exits to the heater core. (I’m not 100% sure on that, but I think I’ve read a couple of times that the two places that crack are the thermostat housing crossover area and the housing for the heater connection).

I usually agree that changing all the hoses is a good idea every few years, but that heater core installation is just too bad. I’d suggest buying the stock, molded Ford hoses and then just keeping them handy until the ones to the heater core fail. Or if the intake fails, replace them then when you have more room.

But this is just a suggestion with my reasoning.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the replies. I wound up ordering the preformed heater hoses from Max @ Five Star just in case I decide to get ambitious when I do the radiator hoses. This car still has the original hoses on it, and I'm started to get concerned about their lifespan. Ford just replaced my intake a couple of months ago for free, but they wanted $600 to do the hoses while the intake was off. I passed.

Marcus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
This car still has the original hoses on it, and I'm started to get concerned about their lifespan. Ford just replaced my intake a couple of months ago for free, but they wanted $600 to do the hoses while the intake was off. I passed.
What a bunch of thieves!! $600! Bah! They had to disconnect one of them when they replaced the intake, and the other one is right there with the intake off!!! They were probably factoring in the install for the heater core!!

I have 243K miles on my heater core hoses and still no leaks (to my knowledge they have never been replaced).

Uh Oh, I'm in for it now; they will probably blow on my way home tonight.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Yeah, it was kind of interesting. The service writer called me while the intake was off to see if I was interested in the $600 "hose job". I didn't bother to ask how much it would cost if I brought the car back in at a later date, since I didn't want to have to drag the loan officer at the bank into this.

Marcus
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:51 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

It seems hoses are built a little more durable than they used to be....I still have my orgional (205,000 mile) hoses on my new explorer motor. Of course I know as soon as I type this I'll blow one going home tonight

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in