Do I need my thermostat? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Do I need my thermostat?

I use my '97 4.6L for inner city stop-and-go driving in the warmer days of the year.

I removed my thermostat a few weeks ago when I flushed the cooling system, and have noticed no real differences. What are the pro's and con's of doing this on the 4.6L? All opinions welcome.

ps. I did a search and found nothing specific.

-Olin

Drive it like you stole it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to wkenneth
Judging by the pic in your avatar....you probably have bigger problems.

On a more serious note....you should have a thermostat. Its got a spot for it...it should have one. To me, thats like driving around with a spark plug out. Yeah, it'll move...but its probably not good for the car.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

wkenneth, thanks for your input.

So that you know, I have a mechanics backround, so I know that under normal conditions, a thermostat is a necessary component. However, I wanted those people who know the 4.6L engine inside and out to give me the scoop.

The car has been completly repaired, by me, and is awaiting some paint. It has been driving in 90-105 degree weather for two weeks now.

-Olin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:34 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jason
Well Here are some thoughts.....without the thermostat the water will constantly circulate throughout the block and the radiator. The Thermostat keeps the water at a certain temperature..... When it reaches that temp it opens and allows water to flow into the radiator to be cooled ... yadda yadda yadda... I assume you know all that so the real questio is what else happens due to temperature in your engine..... Well I am no expert but I do believe that certain emission levels are attained by keeping the engine at certain temperatures.... Obviosly Less heat in the car the more HP your supposed to make.... BUT I'm not sure how the computer works in relation to the car water temp.... I have heard of Open Loop and Closed loop operation in dealing with the cars EEC... How this is effected by the temp I really cant say.... Here is what I GUESS.... Hopefully someone will enter with better knoledge than I and explain better. But I would assume until the car reaches proper temperature that the computer never really gets into its Open loop processing.... this may cause bad gas mileage and reduced power...... <- BUT TO BE HONEST I DO NOT KNOW......Someone who does please help........

Lots of Stuff, but the important one is a "5-speed" 4.6L V8 (for sale)

2006 Toyota Tundra 4wd (new vehicle), to pull my boat one day when I get a boat
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:37 PM
4th Gear Poster

Sometimes the thermostat has an effect on the thermal balance of the engine.

A little true story: A few years back someone thought he could "improve" the cooling system of the 6 Cat 850 KW gen sets that keep McMurdo Station, Antarctica warm and running, by removing the 'stats and using the radiator fans to control engine temps. The thermal inbalance got so bad that 2 blocks cracked, and one had to be replaced at a cost of about $35k.

Now a 4.6 isn't a 1100+ HP diesel, but do you want to take the chance?

Another story from my stock-car racing neighbor, who removed his thermo, and the increased pressure blew his upper hose and took him out of the race.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:45 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to wkenneth
It only needs to be cooler than 192 degrees if you're running advanced timing and/or experiencing detonation. Even at that, you can install a 180 T-stat and get the EEC set up to turn the fans on sooner. Even if you don't have the EEC set up...the fans wont turn on til 192. So in stop and go traffic...it will still be the same temp. Unless its more go than stop. The warm up cycle is based on time, not temperature, so eventually, yes..it'll run 'normal'. Hot engines run better, not cold ones.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

Open loop is brought on by time not temp.

Since you removed your stat, your car never reaches operating temp. That means excess wear on everything. Your engine is designed with great research by engineers and computer modeling. So by never reaching operating temp you are out of spec in the expansion area. So basically your car not reach operating temp even on a long drive 3 hours+. Your fans should not ever come on either.

Put a stat in and it will be more effiecient in gas mileage.
Because you are taking too much heat away your effieciency is hurt.

No chip = 195
chip =180

It would be interesting for you to post your mpg I would guess them to be below 19

Aaron

1994 cougar sc springs 4 inch drop blistiens ford chip 180 t stat ffrp wires magnaflow muffs silencer removed, pair of 15's and about 8 grand of other misc stereo gear
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 11:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jason
Cool thanks for the info about the Open/closed loop being time dependant....

Lots of Stuff, but the important one is a "5-speed" 4.6L V8 (for sale)

2006 Toyota Tundra 4wd (new vehicle), to pull my boat one day when I get a boat
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thank you to everyone who helped explain the sensors and timing functions on the 4.6L. With this information, I replaced the original 190 degree thermostat into the engine.

-Olin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in