TCCoA Forums banner

anyone with 4.6 + straight pipes...

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Bradley Blaze 
#1 ·
I was wondering if I could see a video of a 4.6 bird with stainless pipes instead of mufflers. I would like to hear what it sounds like before I do it!

Jake

#3 ·
sweet! That is exactly what I'm looking for! So how is the volume of that setup? Not too loud I hope? I wan't som decent volume but I can't anny the rest of the world you know... volume = or slightly > stock GT would be nice ;)

Jake

#4 ·
its pretty loud...

not like overbearing but you can definitely hear it...but I havent had any complaints and I mostly live around elderly people. It is fairly loud inside as well.

I'm workin on getting the sound clip transferred to my comp from a cassete tape :ztoohot:

#6 ·
I've got a drag racing video here....as far as loudness....mine is maybe half of that of a fart piped honda at 5000RPM...
(can't really hear me after that....probably because I'm at half track before he hits 5500RPM ;) )

It's not that loud...I say go for it...if you're really worried....just watch yourself around cops....

-jw

#7 ·
If you open a new file and then select to slow it down and keep selecting that several times before you record anything the record time will increase.

I just bought a 95 v8 and the second I got it in my driveway I disconnected the exhaust at the resonator where it bolts on and yanked it out. It sounds really good IMO. Of course I've been driving a v6 for 3 years. And even after my 600 dollar exhaust system, just unbolting the v8 exhaust sounds 10 times better than my v6 ever did. Even thought it's really droney inside the car since it's cut off right below the front seats, it's not a daily driver so it's fun. When it hits about 2000rpm and up it roars! Below that it's got a really low deep tone to it.

-Thomas

#8 ·
I've got a nice exhaust... now where'd I put those clips.. :)

aha.. here is one..

exhaust

I'll have more clips soon, I need to record a buddy's exhaust on his Mini, i took that one clip of mine to test the equipment before i recorded my brothers exhaust/turbo setup. Good to have professional recording equipment :)

#9 ·
If you want to know EXACTLY what it will sound like with the exhaust disconnected at the resonator as Thomas mentioned, here is a sound clip I recorded directly into the computer. Its of excellent quality but the car is not moving, just revving up in park... I put the mic just under the rocker panel to get a good reproduction of the sound.

Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend just unbolting and removing the rear half of the exhaust like that unless you at least put a turndown or something behind the resonator. The reason is that the exhaust will flow directly back at the gas tank, which has only a little plate type sheild there and the tank could easily be melted such that no telling what could happen.

Here is a link to the sound in wav format.
WAV Exhaust

Here is a link to the sound in mp3... its a little smaller but not much 9## KB instead of 1.3MB.
MP3 Exhaust

By the way, I think you can here my son talking at the beginning (but for some reason I didn't this time) to give you a little reference to how loud it is... It really does drone around 1900-2000 though.

Have fun,
Willum

#10 ·
Wow I totally forget about that gas tank. Oh well, I only drove it a mile, hardly even enough time for the exhaust to warm up. I think I'll have to start spending more time in these forums lol.
-Thomas

#12 ·
why not skip the cats and buy mufflers? true duals pipes with no cats and two mufflers in the back. I think it would sound better. That is, if you don't have emissions or inspections in your state.
-Thomas

#13 ·
IMHO, when I cut my mufflers off, and had no resonator, pretty much what you are describing, with 18" chrome tailpipes, it sounded like a V6 with an exhaust. I'm much happier now with my current true duals, magnaflows mounted midbody, but it's going to change again soon, because I'm lowering the car, and the magnaflows hang down a little too far.

#14 ·
Different mufflers, size of the pipes, dual vs single, mid vs rear mufflers all effect the sound.

Plus what you have in your head, isn't necessarily what it's gonna sound like when your done. It took me alot of money and about 6 months to get to where I'm at and finally happy with the sound.

We have the same engine as mustangs, but we don't sound like them, their exhaust is completely different design, not sure how close you could come even, the mid-mufflers will get you more of a mustang sound, however, without the bends over the rear axles, the sounds is slighty different as well.

Experiment, do what YOU like. Personally, I wanted a louder exhaust that sounded like a V8 car, and not some cut off muffler hick truck. :) I wanted to stay away from the raspy and crackling sounds.

One thing to consider, without any cats, you just lots alot of backpressure, so you will most likely lose some TQ, but will gain some HP on the top end. It's a trade off. In the end, the performance won't be all that much different on a stock engine.

Like i said, do what you like, we all only offer our opinions.

#15 ·
well I like the sound of my buddys flowmaster cat-back but I don't like the price. for us here in Canada by the time we pay shipping and conversion it's like 600 CDN! I could just cut the mufflers, replace them with stainless pipes and save alot of money and also get a better look (IMHO anyway!) anthough I can't compare the sounds because I've never heard a 4.6 with pipes in real life.

Jake

#18 ·
After my Kooks headers/Renegade heads install, I had to run the car from one shop to the exhaust shop to hook up the exhaust.. I ran it for about 2.5 miles with nothing but headers.... it was cool for about 4 minutes, after that I didn't want to rev over 2500 .. the noise in the car was uncomfortable and there is no way I could get past a cop without a hassle.

This cost me $625 with the Borla mufflers, installed and all:

Since the headers, I've removed the cats and added an x pipe...

Sound is in the ear of the beholder... what exactly does "it sounds great" mean???

I can tell you it works great and turns heads on the street and at the track... but doesn't draw the police or the neighbors...

#19 ·
My exhaust isn't very loud of the highway/interstate, but the passenger does have to lean over to hear me well and I have to speak up a bit. My stereo is usually louder than it would be without the exhaust on the highway/interstate too just because I couldn't hear it if it wasn't. I'm thinking I'll change the glasspacks to something like a real muffler someday lol. But right now it sounds really good IMO even. And I've gotten compliments too. But I'd love to hear what it'd sound like with flowmaster/borla/spintech mufflers on there.

Also, mods to your engine will change the exhaust tone too. I remember when I installed my high lift roller rockers my exhaust got a bit deeper and throatier. Sam with ported intakes and bigger TB.

-Thomas

#20 ·
im runnin straights. No muffs or resonator... its not too loud. No cops will pull you over. Big trucks with dynomax exhaust is louder. But it is louder than a Stang GT. I like it :). At high rpms almost sounds a lil ricey. Kinda like a DEEP fart pipe.

#21 ·
Just to add.... they DONT sound like hick trucks with no muffs or resonator for that matter. To be honest. No raspy or crackling noise. Going down the road between 2000-3000 rpm its a deep "hum'' that gets higher pitched as the RPM's rise. At about 3500-over, the noise fades and you hear all motor from 3500-redline. The resonance is greatest at about 2000 rpm or there abouts. A nice loud "HUM"... it doesnt sound a flowmaster exhaust (except at idle a lil bit). There is no "Bla bla bla" noise to it when cruisin down the road like a hick truck or flowmaster. This is also the cheapest method to get a nice noise outta your car. I removed my muffs and resonator for 60 bucks total. 20 per muff and 20 for resonator. I like it and havent got tired of it yet. It turns heads and i've gotten many compliments on my car since i done this. Im not dissing flowmaster. There are just to many cars and trucks around where i live that ALL sound the same and they all have flows, dyno, or borla. I wanted something a little different. :headbang:

#22 ·
I have true duals, no cats, I went with no mufflers till I got a ticket for noise, but it was emabarassingly loud and there was no back pressure which resulted in a huge loss of power. I now have 2 flowmaster-like mufflers. Sounds like the 5.0's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.