4.6L cam - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Question 4.6L cam

I've been reading some of the posts and they all seem to recommend the P.I. cams for a 95 Bird. I have also had a bit of trouble in even trying to find cams for my 95. Do any companies make a set of cams for my Bird and if anyone can point me the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

95 Bird - 75mm BBK TB, 75mm Pro M MAF, Custom 3" Intake, K&N Filter, Reinhart Chip, Iridium Plugs, 180 Thermostat, MSD wires, 255 LPH Walbro Fuel Pump, B&M Shiftkit, Flowmaster Cat-Back exhaust, H&R Springs, Tokicko shocks/struts, B&M Hammer Shifter, B&M Tranny Cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 01:27 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
Your heads suck. The valve springs won't support the higher lift cams. I think there's also some problems with the intake/exhaust ports.. There are pictures somepalce, but I don't remember where.

Edit: Sorry, feeling blunt.

1994 SC 5-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253560
1996 4.6L R.I.P December 02, 2004
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560841
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
The main problem is the valve springs. You will see a gain putting cams in '95 heads, but they are so bad, just find a set of '96-98 heads and redo them instead, you'll be much happier. Someone on here put cams and springs in a '95 and saw pretty good gains, so I guess it's just all in what you want to do.

Powered by RNC Performance

Custom Powdercoating Available, PM me for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Another alternative is to swap in PI heads, cams and intake and see some real gains.

Compcams and Mod Max and some others make cams for the 4.6, but to utilize them, some additional modifacation to your '95 headsis recommended.

However, I think there is a guy around here that put Compcams springs and cams in a '95 and got some good results. But you can pick 96-98 heads up real cheap at Corral.net or Modular Depot, the Mustang guys are virtually thowing them away. So why not add a bit more money and give yourself even more. The 96-97 intake is also an improvement over the 95.

The most radical cams in the world are still limited by the heads and intake. If you don't get enough air to the engine, the cams will never be able to perform. With '95 heads in stock condition and a '95 intake your car will wheeze out at between 4600 and 5000 rpm. Your high priced radical cams will be saying "more, more, more," but there won't be any more to get....

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in