Pinging at WOT (Sorry to ask again...) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Question Pinging at WOT (Sorry to ask again...)

OK, before everyone kills me for asking another pinging question …., please hear me out.

Since I purchase this car (148K miles), I have always had a very slight ping at WOT (now have 250K + miles). It is very slight, and the pinging is lessened by 93 octane. It starts at about 3500 – 3700 rpm and pings up to redline.

I contributed this to: 1) miles and possibly carbon build-up; 2) Oil in the combustion chamber due to leaking valve stems; 3) Dirty injectors (not optimal spray pattern); 4) Dirty MAF; or 5) it’s just a POS.

So anyway, here’s what’s new (or almost new) and or modifications.
LMAF (80 mm) (new)
FRPP Plug Wires (new)
22C Plugs (new)
Injectors (really helped drivability and smoothness, but still pinging)(15K miles)
O2 Sensors (approx. 60K on them, but pinged when new)(not used at WOT)
Air Filter (new)
Fuel Filter (new)
Ver 2 J-Chip
Richard M Tube
No 3rd Cat to single 3” to Flowmasters.

I really thought the new injectors would take care of the pining, but they didn’t.

So now what? I haven’t pulled the octane plug yet, but the way it pings more on 87 octane, I’m assuming the pinging will go away.

What would you guys/gals do next?

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:36 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

If you are using a gen 2 chip you need a 180 tstat and 12C plugs....not doing that will contribute to possible ping. Also you shouldn't use 87 octane with a gen2

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
When we put a friend's chip in my car just so I could try it, I was initially impressed, but as the car warmed up, it would start to ping a little. We both attributed this to not having the 180 thermostat, since it would not ping until the car was over 180 degrees. If this is the case with yours, I would get a thermostat.

Powered by RNC Performance

Custom Powdercoating Available, PM me for details.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe

SeaFoam! It does an engine good!

Available at your local Napa dealer, information available through your local Napa dealer or your friendly TCCoA search function

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:26 AM
4th Gear Poster

I had a substantial decrease in pinging with the 180 t-stat when I was running my chip. I always ran 91 with the plug out; leaded race gas with plug in. On 91 I still had a slight amount of pinging. I drove the car for about 20k easier so it would not ping.

Then the computer went out and hung the #6 injector open. Replaced computer with a stock 95. The timing is more agressive and coverter program is far better in the 95 computer over the 94.

1994 cougar sc springs 4 inch drop blistiens ford chip 180 t stat ffrp wires magnaflow muffs silencer removed, pair of 15's and about 8 grand of other misc stereo gear
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Oops, sorry guys, forgot to say that I had the 180 thermostat.

Although I have heard that the lightning thermostat was actually around 190 even though it's rated at 180. I'm using the Lightning 180 and the car runs noticeably cooler than before. Has anyone else heard that the Lightning is higher than 180? I couldn’t find a Robert Shaw thermostat anywhere.

I did install the 22C’s not the 12C’s, so I must have researched wrong before I got the plugs.

I always run 93 now that I have the chip (I had about half a tank of 87 when I put the chip in and it really pinged.)

Thanks for the replies. I’ll get some 12C’s and go from there.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:55 PM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

I think with a gen 2 chip most recommend plugs that are one step cooler, ie 22Cs, but sometimes 12cs are needed. When I put my gen 2 chip in I also installed a 180* T-stat and 22c plugs and there was some pinging. I then went to 12cs and it went away.

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
I had WOT pinging after the headswap. I initially used the 22C plugs, and those along with 93 octane gas did not stop it. I changed to the AGSF-12FM1 plugs with the fine wire electrode used in the Lightning and the ping has gone bye-bye.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Along the same lines, what would pulling the octane pin do? I'm wondering if it's something worth trying since I observe pinging at WOT. I have an Apten chip (requiring 91+ octane), a 180° thermostat, and 22c plugs. If I go to 12c plugs, I think the chip may require a reburn...

Also, wouldn't pulling the pin cause a P1390 code?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:09 PM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Changing plugs to a cooler range to eliminate pinging would not require the chip being reburnt.

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Sheepish

Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe Send a message via Yahoo to AverageJoe
If you've got an Apten chip installed and you're getting pinging, call Brian and talk to him about it. If you pull the octane pin on an Apten chip, more than likely you'll be advancing the timing and making the pinging worse.

Call Brian, he'll fix you up

B Team - More skill, more results. A is only a starting point before progressing to B.

Member of the 'B-Team'. Finishing jobs the 'A-Team' can't handle.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by AverageJoe
If you've got an Apten chip installed and you're getting pinging, call Brian and talk to him about it. If you pull the octane pin on an Apten chip, more than likely you'll be advancing the timing and making the pinging worse.

Call Brian, he'll fix you up
Thanks, mon...that's what I figured I oughta do.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 01:38 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Check for vacuum leaks. Mine had the WOT ping too. I found a vacuum line deteriorated (did I spell that right?!) and split. Replaced the line and no more ping!

Good luck.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
Hey Wrench... you live in Mokena? By frankfurt? I used to have a couple girlfriends out there. They went to Lincoln Way East. (couple years ago) I live just over the boarder in Indiana. Dyer to be exact. Right on rt.30 always cool to see people close to ya. also, DD, i had a 95 with 150k, and it pinged too. sounded like washers set together and then put in a paint shaker =P I say change the plugs, check for vacuum leaks, maybe change the valve stem seals, if it doesnt go away, drive the car untill the engine dies. Then just replace the engine. =))

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 12:26 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Yeah, Mokena is right next door to Frankfort. I went to Lincoln-Way too. I'm curious how many south-siders are here? I think there's a few anyway.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Amateur Expert

Send a message via AIM to Embalmer
Quote:
Originally posted by wrench71
Yeah, Mokena is right next door to Frankfort. I went to Lincoln-Way too. I'm curious how many south-siders are here? I think there's a few anyway.
I used to be a South-Sider. I grew up in Evergreen Park until I moved away to Cincinnati for college. Now I live 100 miles west of Chicago.

2007 Ford Mustang GT Premium - SOLD March 2014.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO (TUXESHO) Tuxedo Black Bone stock for now.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

Actually I believe the program on the Apten chip retards the timing with the octane pin removed. Least that's what Brian told me when I bought mine. Although I'm sure that Brian can customize that feature.

98 4.6 SOHC, J-Modded, B & M 24K Tranny Cooler, Cold Air Intake, 76 MM MAF, RM Tube, March 1150 U/D Pullies, Poly Bushings, Air Bags, MK VIII Brakes and Wheels, Trak-Lok w/ 3.55's MK VIII Flex plate and Marauder T/C. Now that it can go, it'll be time for show.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer

I used to be a South-Sider. I grew up in Evergreen Park until I moved away to Cincinnati for college. Now I live 100 miles west of Chicago.
I know OF the south side , I live out by O'Hare, on the far far far NW side (7000N, 7000W about).
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to ThunderChicken1
Quote:
Originally posted by wrench71
chalk up one more, i live in palos hills. well, during the summer anyways. during the school year i'm stuck down here in W. lafayette. any of you guys make it out to cruise night in lemont often? i know there was a nice black 96 with a PI motor there a few times...

is this thread officialy hijacked yet?

Matt
RIP Thunderchicken...

moved on to a lighter chassis with a 5 speed and cheaper parts. i know, i sold out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in