pinging - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
pinging

idk why......100% stock........82k.....a good bit of pinging in the high revs......like 3800+....its not that sever....and i blame it on carbon build up slightly raising the c/r....but that doesnt seem right to me......it only does it once and a while not all the time.....its an odd type of thing.....any suggestions......o.....the 1st gas tank i got 13 mpg....but this is my new car so it was allllll backroads and geting a little spazy with the gas

edit....btw the air filters new.....and thats all the i know of thats new.....i think it might need a tune up....but im not sure b/c it only has 82k on it....any suggestions at all?....the car just sat for a month maybe it has something to do for that.....i started it up weekly tho

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:35 PM
4th Gear Poster

I had the same pinging problem, only sometimes at high rpms (4000+) etc, and I have 110K miles. I originally blamed it on carbon build up, so I attempted those detergent gases and additives that supposedly clean everything, but no luck. I switched to a higher octane gas for a couple of tanks and it wouldn't happen as often, but it was still there. I changed my spark plugs to the platinum 2s, and I got smoother acceleration, but the pinging was still there. I finally got around to cleaning my MAF sensor and I haven't had a pinging problem since, even when I switched back to a lower octane gas. I also threw in a bottle of that fuel injector cleaning crap but I really don't know if that did anything. I'm not sure if it was a combination of all those things or not, but no more pinging. Hope this helps, good luck!

The Bird is sold... Now it's just my Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Ford makes a spray can carbon cleaner (PM-2 or PM-3, i cant remember). A few people here have used that (including me) and it seems to work pretty well. Joey, you know how much carbon these cars can get on the pistons... and it can be very tough to get off, so nothing works miracles - but it can help. You could also try changing the spark plugs if you dont know how old they are.

96 Mustang GT 5spd. w/ 248A Option (GTS). Stock for now until I get the Roush on.

97 Thunderbird 4.6L LX /w Sport Package
24k B&M Cooler, 1" lowered, Steeda UD Pulleys, Dynomax cat-back, J-mod, 3.73's, PI intake, PI cams, 03 GT MAF/Tube, SCT tuned - Gone but not forgotten.
MAMN12 Drag Racing Team [email protected] In need of updated times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i may just grab some spark plugs then try cleaning the injectors @ school.....and maybe the ford carbon thing...who knows....its only done it like....once or twice.....so it could just be the month of none use geting outa its system

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
bump...it was my maf and a host of other little vacume leaks and a tune up was needed...i run 87 no pining and get 17mpg around town beating the hell out of it but usuaually close to 19 when i go easy on it b/c thats how ive been lately....i still want to clean my injectors tho...where do you buy the ford carbon cleaner at?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Does Seafoam clean carbon from pistons? Thanks
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
and the intake and some other things....im not sure how it works i may have to check it out

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeyICU
...where do you buy the ford carbon cleaner at?
Part #PM-2, available at your local Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealership parts counter.

Well...at least that's where I got it at....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
well how did you get it into the system?...throught a vacum line or something?

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

I asked about this a couple weeks ago, but received no replies. What I ended up doing was spraying the cleaner in the area marked #1 in the following drawing (note: the drawing is of the 1994-1995 model). I did this while the car was running, and my son was holding the gas pedal down so the RPMs were noticably higher than idle speed (the can stated to do something similar to that). Was that the right place to spray? I don't know, but there have been no ill side-effects; all I noticed was some white smoke for about a minute after restarting the car (this is after the 5-minute waiting period the directions on the can mentions). I've been good with engine flushes over the life of this car, so maybe there wasn't a lot of carbon build-up to clean (?), as I expected to see some black smoke.....

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to JustinH
give it a couple puffs into the pcv with the motor running and your buddy on the gas.
No need to rev it up, just keep it from stalling.

Don't introduce the entire can at one time, just puff puff puff. Go slow and make sure you use the entire can. Make sure you are using the aerosol can, and not the liquid version.

the liquid is for dumping into the crank case and dumping in the fuel tank.

Also, once is stops belching black smoke, you will want to drain your oil and change the oil and filter, and change your spark plugs to new motorcraft coppers.

As for Joey, don't gut your maf next time dude. Your maf mods cause your problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in