Delta Flow or Regular Flowmaster? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Delta Flow or Regular Flowmaster?

Yea i was wondering what the deal is with the Delta Flow Flowmaster. I know it says its quieter inside the car. But is it drastically quiter outside too? I want to definelty hear it outside the car. Like louder than a Stock Mustang GT or something. But being quieter inside the car is a plus... it does get annoying driving a long distance hearing your exhaust over your radio lol. What do you all think?

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Flying Thunder

Send a message via AIM to weswing04 Send a message via Yahoo to weswing04
its quieter everywhere, and they flow worse than normal flowmasters. I got the original 40 series and its fairly loud, and doesnt resonate TOO bad...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Would the resonance of a regular Flow 40 be quieter inside than my setup now? I have no muffs of resonator. Or louder? or same? Also are Flow 40's louder on outside than my setup now?

Sold my Cougar . But I am in the market for another MN12 project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Astrophysicist / PostWhore

Quote:
Originally posted by cougar_ricer
Would the resonance of a regular Flow 40 be quieter inside than my setup now? I have no muffs of resonator. Or louder? or same? Also are Flow 40's louder on outside than my setup now?
Flowmaster 40's are LOUD on the outside of the car, and loud on the inside. Delta flows will quiet the exhaust down a good bit. I've been in multiple Mustangs with different flowmaster setups. The Delta flows are quieter than the Original series, but they all have a good amount of interior drone.

All depends on your 'wood factor.'

Loudness does not equal performance.

Mike | RSW | THP | MF | SRTConnection |

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX V8 + 1992 Ford Mustang hatchback + 1989 Ford Mustang notchback = no where else to park at my house!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 03:37 PM
Flying Thunder

Send a message via AIM to weswing04 Send a message via Yahoo to weswing04
depends on where you place them. the original 40 series mounted midbody is MUCH quieter inside than my cut off mufflers setup before, but its not too much more quiet on the outside.. but ive heard that if they're mounted in the back, they resonate a LOT.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 03:18 AM
PostWhore

I thought about Flowmasters for about 3 minutes at the shop until I heard the Magnaflow. Not only do their flow properties destroy Flowmasters, I think they sound better and there is zero drone in my Cougar on the highway at any speed. I wish I could say the same for my friend's Dodge Ram with the 40 series Flowmasters. The Magnaflow sounds good on the outside and you can definately tell it's there when you are accelerating. When you are cruising or at idle, you barely hear it inside the car with the windows up.

Pete

-97 XR-7
-5.0 Big Bore ...
Ran @ Normal Operating Temps, No Race Tune, No Setup Changes from Daily Driven Configurations
9.0 @ 78 (1/8 Mile only in Abilene )
2.06 60' on Street Tires (BFG G-Force Super Sport 245/50/16)
3805 Lbs, Stock Exhaust Manifolds
Density Altitude = 4132'
That Run, Corrected for Standard Day
1/8 mile: 8.75 @ 82
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Jedi Master

I'm gonna tell from personal experience with both systems.
When I had my 95 Cougar 4.6 I had delta flow 2 chambers and it was loud from the outside a quiter in the inside. On the freeway you would hear the hum from the mufflers but it wasn't bad.
Now with my present car, a 91 Cougar XR7 5.0, I used the original 2 chambers but had them installed as dumps, in other words in the middle of the car with turn downs - no rear exit- not street legal, and it was insane loud inside and out. It was so loud from the outside that the car sounds like it has a crazy cam on it, from the inside at times I get a lot of vibration from everywhere and the freeway, well if you don't like the humming I suggest getting cotton balls to put in your ear cause it is loud.
Its all up to you, take it from me, I like the original series. If you get the originals you won't get as much vibration and hum because of the location of the muffler, if you decide to have the muffler installed behind the rear suspension. I'm trying to post pics of both set ups soon, i can't at the moment....I'm at work....

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2003, 09:13 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to Rich95XR7
You'll be happier with Magnaflows if you ever drive on the highway.