engine is shuttering - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96TBird
engine is shuttering

alright i need some input...my car has a very rought idle and acceleration up to 1500 RPM. then last night it over heats really bad and wouldnt run normal unless the thermostat was taken off. then on my way home after the thermostat was taken off the check engine light came on, probably from the thermo being removed, and it still ran rough. is this the head gasket?

1996 4.6L T-Bird - Totaled 1-26-2004
1981 Jeep CJ7 - 8 inch of lift (2 1/2" shackle, 2 1/2" leaf springs, 3 inch body) on 32x11.50. Soon to be equipted with Dana 44" axles and 35x14.50 MT OH YEAAAAAAA
R.I.P.
10-9-03 ~ Mallory Brook Neeley ~ Susan Jane Boyes
10-14-03 ~ Lindsey Nicole Groff
Please Visit the Thunder Chicken Fan Page and the Memorial Link for my 3 friends who died an an automobile accident.
Thunder Chicken Fan Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Veteran Poster

So it runs rough from cold start and all throughout the heatup. It overheats.

these seem exclusive but related.
Have you had the intake recall done on your car? Maybe you are leaking coolant into the intake somehow.
Overheating has to be a clogged radiator, malfunctioning pump or thermostat or No water.
My bet right now is that the thermostat is not operating. The bypass line for the coolant is leaking into the motor and causing the roughness.
You got a lot of steam out the exhaust at idle when engine is hot? Smell the exhaust right after a cold start and see if it smells like the radiator fluid.

Lots you can check.

r

Most fun I ever had was with the Texas TCCOA guys making power and drag racing.

Now I am using a 2001 BMW M3 Vert for fun.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 96TBird
yea at cold start is runs rough....i know it is not the thermo cause i have remved that last night so i could drive home without the car overheating again. i dont know if i have had the intake recall donwe on the car. i bought it used, do u konw of n e way that i can check to see if it was done? the pump isnt malfunctioning and isnt bad cause it would be making that annoying squeek or spitting coolent out everywhere and it isnt. last night i had to put a whole lot of water in it and it is running pretty much streight water due to all of the coolent i have lost. right now it is in the shop gettin looked at. i am really hopin that it isnt n e thing expensive. or if it is gonna be expensive than i am hoping it is the tranny, no im not crazy!, but if it is the tranny than i plan on doin the T-45 tranny is it. so fingers crossed for a enw tranny...lol

1996 4.6L T-Bird - Totaled 1-26-2004
1981 Jeep CJ7 - 8 inch of lift (2 1/2" shackle, 2 1/2" leaf springs, 3 inch body) on 32x11.50. Soon to be equipted with Dana 44" axles and 35x14.50 MT OH YEAAAAAAA
R.I.P.
10-9-03 ~ Mallory Brook Neeley ~ Susan Jane Boyes
10-14-03 ~ Lindsey Nicole Groff
Please Visit the Thunder Chicken Fan Page and the Memorial Link for my 3 friends who died an an automobile accident.
Thunder Chicken Fan Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-18-2002, 04:05 PM
4th Gear Poster

I am having the same basic problem... but not the over heating. When I go to start it takes it a couple of turns to start. Then it will shudder for a couple of seconds and will then come up to a good idle. I also put in a post a lil while back about my car coming up to around 3500 rpm in first and second and "lagging", I was told that this was the TPS. Could what I am experiencing be caused by the same part. I would like to get this problem fixed before it can become worse than it should be. Let me know any suggestions.

97 LX Sport
K & N Cone Air Filter
Everything else stock

Christopher McConkey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in