New Year Mods - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

New Year Mods

Happy Holidays to everyone. Well my New Years Resolution is a PI headswap, 3.73's, and a full exhaust....to start I was wondering if the Kooks headers are direct bolt ins? If so I was thinking I would do the headswap myself and install the headers. Then drive to get the full exhaust done. Or will I need to do the headers seperate?

Also, any recomendations on the exhuast setup? I know the mustangs with the 4.6L go with h/x pipes into various catbacks or flowmasters. We dont seem to have the luxury of multiple suppliers. I know dynomax and flowmaster have them, but I want a full exhaust. Should I just have a x/h crossover fabbed into the system? I have been told for the 4.6L 1 or 2 chamber flows sound the best, but is htis any different for our cars?

Will a Kenne Bell supercharger fit under an age classic cobra r hood? i know we dont have much clearance. Just wondering what will and wont fit.

I am thinking on this:

PI headswap
Full exhuast
3.73's
Chip
U/D pullies
C&L Upper plenum
75 mm throttle body
Upgrade MAF?

I am really getting the bug to mod the cougar, just wanted to check with the experts and make sure i am on the right track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Sounds good, but what about the tranny?

02+ GT MAFs are nice...

the headers would require new downtubes, but yes you don't have to modify anything else to make them work.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thinking on the j/mod or a manual valve body, other than that i am crossing my fingers and hoping it doesnt break!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 09:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I'd definately go for the GT MAF...

If you go with an Apten or Reinhart chip, you will want to go to 22c or 12c plugs and a 180* Thermostat..

The Kooks are a direct bolt up to the heads, but as explained above they do not matchup to the exhaust, you'll have to "cut and paste" a bit to match them up.

If you do a search on the Kooks install you'll see a couple of guys the have done it. It is not a snap install, and pretty much requires that you drop the K-member. I think average is about 7 hours for the install...

I did my heads and Kooks at the same time by dropping the engine, bolting the heads and headers on, then putting the engine back up.. but others have done both the heads and headers without pulling the engine... and if you decide to do the headers and drop the K.. check the motor mounts.. mine were shot and I replaced them with MN12 solid rubber mounts... I would also recommend replacing the head bolts with ARP studs...

I had a true dual system welded up custom, but there are other viable options.. ART makes a pre-fab dual system and lotsa guys like the 2 into a single center Magnaflow and either single or dual out... there are lots of different ideas here.. search around.....

With the MAF, PI heads, and the other bolt ons you're planning, you are gonna be adding some serious power. If you're looking at getting good tracks time, along with wanting to beef up the trans, I'd think about a 3000 or higher stall converter. With that combination and some good sticky tires, you can run mid 13's.. with a stock converter you'll have trouble launching...

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

hey thanks for the tip. i have seen lots of guys running the 90 mm lightning MAF. is this superior? more than needed? just curious. any recomendations on superchargers? is fordchip.com any good? http://www.modularfordpowerhouse.com is awesome for the stangs. is the steeda n/a tune applicable to ours? it is adaptive from tim and is really awesome. any opinions?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 09:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

The 90 Lightning MAF is also a good choice. It's a little bigger that the GT. Most guys tend to use them for SC application, but guys use it NA also. The key is not just the size, but the transfer rates in the GT, 80 Lightning & 90 Lightning are better, which is why if you make do the upgrade MAF, you should do it when you install the chip and make sure you tell Brian (Apten) or Dennis (Reinhart) which MAF you use...

96 GoldBird

'96 T-Bird LX 4.6L Alive & well & living in S. Florida

N/A:
Renegade NPI heads/Comp Cams; OEM intake manifold; Bolt-ons
245 rwhp; 13.713 @ 99.35 (Commerce, GA - November 2003)

BLOWN: Renegade NPI heads; Renegade shortblock; Intercooled T-Trim; some other stuff
Pump Gas Numbers - 547 rwhp / 525 ft.lbs; Best Time - 11.388 @ 118.68 (Commerce, GA - November 2007)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in