GT-40 worth $3,000??? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
GT-40 worth $3,000???

So I just looked and found a 302 gt-40 enine from frpp. Is it worth it? I was gonna blow my car, but N/A rated at 315hp for an auto = about 260 or so to the rear wheels? Is it worth it? or should I go Forced induction? I am steering towards the GT-40 long block...wouldn't it be more reliable in the long run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 11:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to pa_dan Send a message via Yahoo to pa_dan
look again, it's expensive, underpowered for the price, and doesnt use forged pistons. take a look at the DSS or Coast High short blocks, and pick a better set of heads and cam( I would recomend a comp cams extreme energy grind) . That listed power is also with the full gt-40 kit, Intake manifold , TB , shorty headers , and so on. figure 1200-1500 for the short block. spend the rest on heads and a cam .

94 4.6L Lx, 04 exploder engine awating instalation
88 Mustang LX 5.o 5spd stock
70 Mustang mach 1 Ex-drag car
66 Mustang convertable getting a new 302.

Pa mustang/ford forum
http://www.svtcobraltd.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 09:56 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by pa_dan
look again, it's expensive, underpowered for the price, and doesnt use forged pistons. take a look at the DSS or Coast High short blocks, and pick a better set of heads and cam( I would recomend a comp cams extreme energy grind) . That listed power is also with the full gt-40 kit, Intake manifold , TB , shorty headers , and so on. figure 1200-1500 for the short block. spend the rest on heads and a cam .
Agreed. We (me and 2 other ford guys) dropped the GT-40 longblock with the "X" heads and the B cam into a friend's 1987 Mark VII. It had decent power, about 270 but another one of the guys is putting out about 30 more rwhp (he made 302 rwhp without a tune in lincoln mark VII also) with some heavily ported cast iron GT-40's and a custom made Lunati cam with 86,000 miles on the motor. He only put about 2,500 into his setup (used a stock 5.0 H.0 shortblock) vs. the other guy's $5,000 or so for everything to complete the FMS kit. Eventually he ended up dropping a valve into the motor because one of the FMS springs broke. Didn't do any damage to the motor surprisingly because he was stopped at a light, but he ended up selling the GT-40 "X"s and getting some AFR 165's. Car's a monster now, but he couldve just gotten a good shortblock and the heads and probably saved a few grand.

1988 XR7
5.8L EFI, tremec 3550,spec stage III clutch,90mm L-MAF, TFS heads, GT40 intake, lunati cam,Fordchip.com,diablo chip 311rwhp 375 rwft/lbs.13.2 @107.2. with 3.08's
2004 Pontiac GTO LS1 6 speed black/red RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak Kid
yet another reason why I love this forum, I was VERY tempted to get that engine...They sell the same one in Summit. Oh well, I guess it will be back to the drawing board...I might do a cam upgrade...not sure which ones will actually work and keep the engine in one piece, but the 5 speed conversion will prolly come first, I have heard nothing but good things about that swap, so, maybe do that first then the other stuff...Biggest prob for me though is unless I want to drop $600 to ship my car to Anchorage, all of the work needs to be done by ME...which sucks b/c I am definatly not a mechanic. Any one coming to Kodiak in the summer?!? LOL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Chapter Director Coordinator

don't forget how big of a pita it will be to start up a high compression (unless you going FI later) carbed motor in the cold...

ugh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in