Ignition coils - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Ignition coils

My stock coils seem to be reaching the last of there life. Yes I am aware that they are just suposed to go bad. How ever, working with electronics I have learned one thing! Nothing is ever how it seems and all electronic devises can develope a mind of its own. Every couple of weeks I get a missfire after driving for an hour or so. through trial an error I have found that if I pull each plug wire, wipe, hit with rubber malet and repeate. The fowled condition returns to normal. I have changed out the plugs and wires several times over the years and the problem still hangs on So I figured I would get a good set of wires, screemon demon coils and the ACF-12C(???) spark plugs. My question is, How much over stock will this improve my performance? Thanks for your glorious knowledge ahead of time.

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 02:54 PM
Banned

with a stock engine, none at all. Most guys here run factory coils with Superchargers and have plenty of spark.

Don't waste your money, just get stock coild from Dan Newman, see vendors on front page. Also try cleaning your MAF, do a search for it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 06:23 PM
MaleWhore

Send a message via AIM to smokymance
screaming demons dont make that big of a difference at all....they just look good....i got the demons packs and wires...not noticable diff...just back to normal car...my old wires and packs were just dead so i had to replace them....i can post a pic if u want me to show you what they look like...

1997 MN12 Sport 4.6L Supercharged 5 Speed Sold
1998 Mark VIII LSC Teredor Red, Parts car, PM me
1998 Mark VIII LSC Pearl, Stock, Garage Queen
2000 Jeep XJ 4.0L Long Armed and Locked
2008 Yukon Denali 6.2L Supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

The test for coil packs is just an ohm meter. Your manual (Helms, Haynes, Chiltons) should all list the accectable range.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 07:30 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to zero89lx
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a better coil (better ignition system as a whole) should allow you to run with a slightly wider plug gap, increasing fuel economy if nothing else. I've also heard it increases throttle response and high-rpm power where less potent coils start to fall on their face. Now, this is based on comparing an MSD to the stock coil that's in my monte carlo, I don't know if stock t-bird coils are any better.

I hate this place! Nothing works here! The medication doesn't work! I've been here seven years! I hate this place!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 08:55 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

The stock Tbird packs are a very hot pack. I'm running them on a blown car and have had no issues losing spark

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2004, 10:00 PM
4th Gear Poster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zero89lx
[B]Correct me if I'm wrong, but a better coil (better ignition system as a whole) should allow you to run with a slightly wider plug gap, increasing fuel economy if nothing else. I've also heard it increases throttle response and high-rpm power where less potent coils start to fall on their face.] You are correct. It just depends on what level of performance your at.....

Wrecked...will be parting out soon 97 thunderbird 02GT 4.6 Bullitt Intake
Kook's true dual 02 4r70w trans completely rebuilt to jerrys specs
cstm D/S 373's 11/4 bars F&R 3800lbs
240rwhp/282tq ET:14.00
"Luck happens when opportunity meets preparation"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in