3Likes
  • 1 Post By 95ThundaChik'n

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Heater Core Bypass

hey guys, i need some help with bypassing my heater core....i need to know what the I.D. of the 2 hoses that run to the heater core are. i have misplaced my tape measure and can't measure them for myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I beleive it is 5/8ths...a standard size.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
ive heard of this before, but honestly im not 100% of how it benefits the engine, can someone explain to me heater core bypass pluses, and negatives?

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 12:20 AM
4th Gear Poster

The bypass does nothing for the engine. He is probaly bypassing it because it is leaking. Changing a heater core in a mn12 is a real pain

1997 LX Sport..Eibachs & KYBs...245/50s on Eagle Alloy 16x7s...SC rear sway bar...94 SC seats...Mark VIII ds...SCT tuned by Lasotta Racing ...Dirty Dog Marauder converter... Trans by Supergordo
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 02:05 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to coolest68
Hi i had to do it on my tbird... it was a 89 and the hose was back left i dk all about how my dad did it for me i was dumb back then, It will not hurt the engine at all, u cannot use ur heater though i dk about ac... but u get no heat, it stops the anti freeze from going to the heater core and ending up on the passengers feet. its also about a 200+ dallor job.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

yes, i am doing it because it is leaking (AGAIN ), and it really pisses me off because just last year i paid the stealership to replace it....i didn't have the time or desire to try to tackle the job myself....it was an expensive job, and now here it is, leaking again

GB, one of the hoses may be 5/8, but one of the hoses is a different size...anyone know for certain the sizes of both hoses?
94TBird00 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:06 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

Just cut one of the existing hose to route it

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 01:25 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by 95ThundaChik'n
yes, i am doing it because it is leaking (AGAIN ), and it really pisses me off because just last year i paid the stealership to replace it....i didn't have the time or desire to try to tackle the job myself....it was an expensive job, and now here it is, leaking again

GB, one of the hoses may be 5/8, but one of the hoses is a different size...anyone know for certain the sizes of both hoses?
Have you tried any sealers??? I bought an '90 Eagle Premiere in '96 with a leaking core....added some sealer....just took it off the road last fall but not for any coolant leaking problems! About 60K miles elapsed since it was put in...If I recall right it was COPPERSEAL.

Just another possible route...

DR

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."

I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect.

Eibachs, some of the mn12perf bushings,GT MAF sensor, K&N filter, RM Tube, Steeda UDs, Jmod w/deepsump, trans cooler, TRUBENDZ freeflowcats & X-pipe, and cat-back duals w/Flo 40s (done locally). 3.73 FRPP DIFF, ...SCT and ADDCO "BIG BARS"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2004, 10:42 PM
3rd Gear Poster

if it 'failed again' the coolant has most likely become acidic. Flush it good and replace it (the coolant) even if you don't replace the core cause you will soon be replacing more expesive parts like the radiator or worse....
IT is possible that you might have some kind of over pressure problem.. check/replace your radiator cap and beg/borrow/steal a block checker to check for blown head gaskets if it is a 3.8

Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 09:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
his is a 95 V8 so i dont think he has to worry all that much

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 AM
PostWhore

If it failed within a year I'd take it back to the dealer I paid to fix it and jump up and down on the service manager's desk. They may fix it and they may not but I'd sure feel better when I was crawling around under there fixing it right. At the price they charged to fix it I think I'd also consider filing a complaint with the BBB - http://complaints.bbb.org/Welcome.asp
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 10:00 AM
02 Explorer Pioneer

He might have a leg to stand on with the dealer if they didn't install the ground strap Ford now recommends. Worst case scenario is buy a core and do it yourself. It will cost you all of about $50

http://members.tccoa.com/timb/Heatercore.htm

Birdless

There is no limit to what you can acheive if you don't care who gets the credit.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

ok, i finally found a tape measure and measured the 2 hose barbs, and they are 2 different sizes, one is 5/8" and the other is 3/4"....i just wanna make sure that i am measuring the correct hoses. if i have it correct, in order to bypass the heater core, i would just connect the 2 hose barbs that are circled in yellow in the picture below, right?

94TBird00 likes this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
yeah. What I did when I bypassed mine, was to take the two hoses and get a barbed male and female fittings. What is your email? Ill email you the pic of mine.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

i'm just gonna connect the 2 barbs together with 1 piece each of 5/8" & 3/4" hose, with a reducing hose barb coupling between them.....i really don't feel like struggling with disconnecting the ends of the hoses that are on the barbs that run through the firewall......i just wanted to make sure i was going to be connecting the right ones
94TBird00 likes this.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2004, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to powerhouze
Timb Thanks for the instructions!!! I'm printing them out right now.

The heater core just went on my 96. I just got laid off so i think i have the time to do it myself. It doesn't seem like it should take more than 4 or 5 hours. I can see why it would cost $200 to replace. I'm up for the challenge.

99 trans w/2800 stall (thanks to Darrin and Dirtydog) Mac Underdrive, CAI, SSAutoChrome headers sitting in my closet (For Sale), ford factory 4.10 ring/pinion in the closet also(for sale) 2 mtx 6x9s in the back .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in